The SAK Pioneer awl is useless.

Will do & thanks, znapschatz. I'll give it a go for the next knot that shows up. It would be kind of interesting if someone were to write a book (maybe someone has already) and gather all the countless uses for SAKs and Victorinox multi-tools, too. Must be a lot out there. That would be a cool read.

It would be a pretty think book! Most of the SAK tools have uses that are limited only by the owners imagination. Like using the hook part of the can opener to pull the big cotter pin on the trailer hitch because old arthritic fingers hurt. Or using the same hook as a staple remover.

Will do & thanks, znapschatz. I'll give it a go for the next knot that shows up. It would be kind of interesting if someone were to write a book (maybe someone has already) and gather all the countless uses for SAKs and Victorinox multi-tools, too. Must be a lot out there. That would be a cool read.
It would be a pretty think book! Most of the SAK tools have uses that are limited only by the owners imagination. Like using the hook part of the can opener to pull the big cotter pin on the trailer hitch because old arthritic fingers hurt. Or using the same hook as a staple remover.

My apologies, this was recently posted on BF, but I don't remember where.
Worth a look:

As others have said, the tools are best used with improvisation. I have found the awl to be very useful in urban and semi urban edc, though I don't feel like recalling a bunch of specific uses I can name a couple:

- Cigar holder (heat won't hurt it like it might the blade)
- Trash picker upper (doesn't matter if you stick it in the ground, like the blade)
- Nail cleaner (safer than the blade)
- Longer pry bar (sometimes the bottle / can openers are too short)
- Marlin spike (to untie tight knots)
- Abuse tool (specifically I used it to snap zip ties rather than cut them and blunt the edge)

Reactions: HWF
The awl is just fine.

I have used it on many occasions and it has helped me in a pinch, especially in situations where a proper tool is not at hand - and isnt that the whole 'raison d'etre' for a SAK and why we carry it.

I reqognise many of the uses for the awl as outlined by others above. Pry bar etc.

At the range it also comes in handy as a punch, cleaner and for getting small screws and pins out of tiny crevices etc.

Its also a handy tool for getting a caked firing pin retaining pin out and works as a carbon scraper, for which Ive used it many many times.

I wouldnt be without the awl. Like Im sure is the case with most of us, I also have a bunch of different size SAKs.

How ever, the one Vic, that I have bought the most of and used/use the most, is the SPARTAN.

I like it for the tools, for the compact size and not least for the awl.

Late to the party. I use my awl more than any tool on my saks. It is very useful for me when making kydex sheaths.
1. Cleaning holes up
2. Adding extra holes to kydex after my initial drill. Minimizes kydex dust after the initial seal if I am looking for a little more retention.
3. Separating the kydex after mold.
4. Cleaning The rough kydex edge off prior to sanding if you dont have a buffer
5. I use the tip to indent the kydex prior to drilling so that the attachment being used will align properly

Makes my life much easier. IMG_8518.PNG

I killed a couple of attacking Grizzlies simultaneously with a Pioneer awl once. So ya,.......I guess I like it.

I killed a couple of attacking Grizzlies simultaneously with a Pioneer awl once. So ya,.......I guess I like it.
Get your story straight - when last you told it, it was two Grizzlies armed with awls attacking you.

Gerbils and Grizzies are not synomynous. However, them Gerbils can be mean.

My main EDC knife is an alox soldier. Just thinking about this last few days I used the awl to start holes for hangers for my wife's Christmas stuff, opened 5 boxes from Amazon, and just recently used it to cut the foil off of two Champagne bottles. Once you start using the awl it becomes addictive and you find you can't live without it! :)

Just cut two zip ties that were holding a pen to it's packaging using the awl on a Vic soldier. There isn't a cutting tool anywhere that could have done it better than that useless o_O awl I carry in my pocket most days.

I use mine for scraping the carbon buildup off of the bolt on my AR. It works very well

While we're on these interesting uses of the "awl" isn't it supposed to be used for rough sewing? No one has mentioned that. One has an opening and one doesn't. Why take the opening out? Which makes it an awl and which a reamer?

My uses has been fingernails, packages and ferro rods. Glad for the new ideas here.

I’ll agree with the OP in that my daily needs rarely if ever required the awl. Or if I was somewhere that did, I’ve a Swisstool in the truck.

I’ve had a couple electricians modded to replace the awl with a small pen blade. For me, it’s a nice blade set. The large main blade, the eblade, then a small pen. The bottle opener can also scrape some if needs be.

And I usually have the Minichamp along too.

Just found a Tuber demo of an awl or reamer in action.

Edited to delete link

Last edited:
....You've got a point as far as improvisation of the tools, that's actually exactly what I'm looking for with this thread. What do [you] improvise with the awl in an urban setting? However, I think -at the end of your comment- you're missing the purpose of my inquiry. I wouldn't really say I'm getting worked up, but I'll concede it does seem like that. Nor am I looking to just toss it aside and say "well it's useless, no point in trying". I'm trying to find uses for it. "Just buy(ing) another" isn't really a solution either. Past the inflammatory title, I'm not knocking the tool as a whole, but trying to better understand the addition and uses for the awl in an urban setting. Not worrying about it and uses the tool otherwise is exactly what I'm doing; it's a great tool. I just want the awl to be more useful. I'm really hoping that I'm just missing something when it comes to it.
Like you, I don't have a lot of use for the awl on a SAK, but it comes in handy from time to time. But I'm generally glad it's there and available.

The reason I brought back this thread on the AWL utility was > Yesterday, I had enough of my pants sliding down and decided to create another belt hole in my leather belt. You see, I am sort of an in between size... 33 waist and most all non-dress pants are not offered with a 33 inch waist. So, it's always "34's" and they're loose, ALWAYS. I bought a hole cutting tool the right diameter to pound though a leather belt to create a nice sharp edged belt belt buckle hole.... The AWL was out unless it was an emergency as I've done this before creating a pretty ragged hole. Enter the drill bit.... worked perfectly. Why had I never thought of this before? Maybe some of you have been in the same boat??

Back