The Sgian Dubh

And here's the latest one-

319-0002.jpeg

319-0003.jpeg

319-0004.jpeg

319-0005.jpeg

319-0006.jpeg

that one went to FWO. I compared it side by side with the second one (that was in the TK article) and... some stylistic differences, I am liking the long slim look a lot. The black and white really stand out well.

329-preview-0004.jpeg

Coyote Brown with filework, single edged. RH.

329-preview-0008.jpeg

329-preview-0010.jpeg

I decided to give a small photo essay on grips:

329-preview-0011.jpeg

329-preview-0013.jpeg

329-preview-0014.jpeg

Man that is one of the finest Sgians yet. Love the lines on it. Grey liners with brown scales is unexpected and completely works. Jimping looks great. Is that blade a little longer? 4.5"?

That's what a Sgian should look like.

Last edited:
still at 4 inches, actually. Handle is a bit longer than before.

Mathcing brownish sheaths?

PM sent--I've got some minor alterations in mind. But somebody needs this knife.

Quick mod to the stocking sheath and we are good for IWB carry:

832835732_b8uwS-L.jpg

with belt as worn:

832836367_r5Ur5-L.jpg

I'd like to see a future sheath with a tab or a clip for IWB carry, but until then I'm pretty happy with this ad hoc arrangement.

Last edited:
I like the solution!

There so many ways to go about it, from just a tab, to a light duty clip. An inverted clip like I put on one of my holsters, and a full belt loop.

Could rivet a loop on there. The cord can be tied to accommodate different belt widths or even just a belt loop. I'm thinkin' a clip or tab would be effective and versatile. Clip might be more secure than a tab.

The more I look at these the more I like them. The on at the top of this page...the one that sold on the website (different?) have me drooling!! :)

The one at the top of this page (5) is the one I made immediately after the one that sold. Basically, I already had heat treated 2 and had two requests for the one that sold, so did up a "duplicate" (duplicate meaning I did the same spacer pattern, there's always difference in details)

hrm. your EDC is the "natural" burlap. I need more of that but could match a sgian dubh..... ;)

The one at the top of this page (5) is the one I made immediately after the one that sold. Basically, I already had heat treated 2 and had two requests for the one that sold, so did up a "duplicate" (duplicate meaning I did the same spacer pattern, there's always difference in details)

hrm. your EDC is the "natural" burlap. I need more of that but could match a sgian dubh..... ;)

Hah! That black and white is slick though...why mess with a good thing?! ;):thumbup::D

it looks like I will be joining the Koyote club over here... I placed an order for a Sgian Dubh last night. Polished, convex 4.5" 1/2 double edged blade, file work for my thumb, black micarta with red liners, mosaic pins... Black sock sheath with red stitching...

As a guy that usually carries decent knives, I can no longer stomach the cheap POS sgian dubhs I see in the pipe band world. Looking at them hurts my eyes, with their cheap blades (if you can even call them blades), plastic handles, fake jewels, no edge, etc.

And now the wait begins. I'll post a couple pics in this thread when I get it (unless of course Christof takes better pics and posts them first!).

I tote this one around most every day, during the week I drop it in my front left pocket in the sock sheath when I get home from work . It rides on my left hip on the week ends
I love mine :thumbup:

Here's a new one and a new sheath style.

This is going out in the mail tomorrow morning after Koyote Girl gets a rubdown on the leather with a burnishing rid and some waxes and oils (hence the grainy look right now)

The second sheath is LH in this case, has a retention strap and can be worn vertically or horizontally. the ricasso area of the handle fold the strap out of the way nicely when drawing. (The sock sheath is the traditional blade cover for kilt wearing)

And, of course, there's oil all over everything:

294-0001.jpeg

294-0002.jpeg

294-0003.jpeg

I think it came out okay :D

Some sheath details. The chicago screws aren't mounted on the removable belt hanger in the photos

294-0004.jpeg

294-0006.jpeg

I'm so going to have to have one at some point. been thinking about a mongo trail knife first though...

Back