The Silence of The Lambsfoot

As it happens, I am looking at a Taylor Eye Witness and wondering about that. They claim they are hand made in Sheffield so I guess they could buy the parts and assemble in England. I will just have to buy one and see.

As it happens, I am looking at a Taylor Eye Witness and wondering about that. They claim they are hand made in Sheffield so I guess they could buy the parts and assemble in England. I will just have to buy one and see.

Who knows where they're made, some of the high end knives are made in Sheffield, and their price reflects that, they've even had knives made by Wright's in recent years, which you can probably spot. Others have a more dubious provenance. The vast majority of TEW knives are, sadly, entirely made in China these days, and I don't think they even have any form of factory in Sheffield anymore, just a small warehouse.

I think this would be a good one
s-l1600.jpg

Sigh.
If I buy another Lambsfoot, it's going to be a vintage one. Maybe I can find one with a bit more blade left. ;)
hQ9kGcN.jpg

LOL! Great pic Rachel! :D With all the markets and antique shops closed here for most of the last year, and for the foreseeable future, I'm certainly not coming across any, and European residents can't bid on knives on Fleabay :( But I think vintage is the way to go :) :thumbsup:

The detractor to buying vintage knives is that you'd not want to use it! Most sellers look for prices that make one think about selling a kidney to buy a knife.

The detractor to buying vintage knives is that you'd not want to use it! Most sellers look for prices that make one think about selling a kidney to buy a knife.

I don't think I've ever paid more than £8 for a vintage Lambsfoot. Admittedly, I don't have as many nice old ones as some folks :thumbsup:

I don't think I've ever paid more than £8 for a vintage Lambsfoot. Admittedly, I don't have as many nice old ones as some folks :thumbsup:
I think it has a lot to do with location. Given your previous posts I assume you live in England, fairly close to Sheffield. I, on the other hand, live in Southern California where lamb foot knives though not unheard of, are very few and far in between. A quick look at the big auction house showed a hand full (I could count them on my fingers and still have a few fingers left). Most of them looked like the ones r8shell r8shell posted above or very close to it. There are quite a few new A. Wrights too, but after looking at the one I received a couple of days ago, I believe they will be a hard pass from me. I love the shape and functionality this blade has but the F & F on this particular knife leave a lot to be desired particularly given it's $ 80 price tag, not including shipping and taxes. Uneven grind (I fixed that already), side to side blade play that showed once the mineral oil bath was done, separation between liner and scales.

I think it has a lot to do with location. Given your previous posts I assume you live in England, fairly close to Sheffield. I, on the other hand, live in Southern California where lamb foot knives though not unheard of, are very few and far in between. A quick look at the big auction house showed a hand full (I could count them on my fingers and still have a few fingers left). Most of them looked like the ones r8shell r8shell posted above or very close to it. There are quite a few new A. Wrights too, but after looking at the one I received a couple of days ago, I believe they will be a hard pass from me. I love the shape and functionality this blade has but the F & F on this particular knife leave a lot to be desired particularly given it's $ 80 price tag, not including shipping and taxes. Uneven grind (I fixed that already), side to side blade play that showed once the mineral oil bath was done, separation between liner and scales.

Maybe if you got round to reading post #1 in the other thread, you'd have more luck ;) :thumbsup:

A big disappointment I'm afraid :( How did you find the knives?
Hello,

After an incredible journey, they arrived....
This is not a very qualitative production but not as bad as I expected when I read this.
The blades are centered, the fit is correct and the notch is firm.
A few traces of rust in the tab, dirty in the packaging. I think that after a little maintenance and some oil they will be operational.
To be continued...
321.jpg

418.jpg

Hello,

After an incredible journey, they arrived....
This is not a very qualitative production but not as bad as I expected when I read this.
The blades are centered, the fit is correct and the notch is firm.
A few traces of rust in the tab, dirty in the packaging. I think that after a little maintenance and some oil they will be operational.
To be continued...
321.jpg

418.jpg

Those look decent :) Perhaps they were made a while back, when standards were better :) Feel free to join us in the Guardians of the Lambsfoot thread :thumbsup:

Thank you.
Some more detailed pictures (if it bothers the subject, please feel free to remove them)

c10.jpg

d10.jpg

e10.jpg

f10.jpg

i10.jpg

Thanks for the extra photos :) If you flood the joint with oil, and blow it out with canned air, you'll get a lot of that gunk out :thumbsup:

Back