The Simple Things (Knives etc.) in Life!

I think we might have enough knife content to justify these wonderful tangents you folks have taken us on! I was hoping to get some "back-to-basics" responses here, and they sure came back in spades!!
The thoughtfulness, and human caring reflected here, give me hope for the future of this planet!
A talisman of human thoughtfulness will often bring out the best in us! A well thought out and well made, if simple, knife for instance!
I think of our good friend Jack, whenever I pick up this Lambsfoot!
'Nuff said!
Simple%204_zpsbjh7jshd.jpg

Not mind-boggling engineering, but a fine distillation of centuries of art!

Could not have said it better myself.
I think this is the reason I like 'em so much.

Case "barehead" swayback, designed by Tony Bose, but not a collaboration knife. CV steel, with wonderful swedges added, along with blades that are blued for rust protection.
Then a John Lloyd stag beauty. You can't make a knife much simpler, nor can you improve the lines, textures - on and on!

I must say, both these knives are fantastic. That John Lloyd is a work of art. The pocket worn look of the Case is so appealing. I don't know, it just hit me. Thanks for sharing.

That afternoon the dream of the toads rang through the elms by Little River and affected the thoughts of men, though they were not conscious that they heard it.--Henry Thoreau

Tahattawan Dreams

Moss covered rocks. Swaybacks and arrowheads. Tall arrowy white pines. Sounds, leaves and wind through oak, chestnut, and hickory. Colors...back. Mastodons,mush ox. Back and deeper back. Time

Simpler times with a Sheffield Pen knife. Adorned with some back spring dressing. It doesn't get too much simpler. :D

Then again, Perhaps it can get simpler. I found this in an old house as a kid that we recently had moved into. It was in a box of old mariner items such as a sextant and telescope.
It appears to have been hand made from horn with a fairly crude joint and blade, but I'll tell ya, that blade got seriously sharp very easily. :D

Agreed Paul. My soul just seems more awak in the fall. :thumbup:

Everyday I look forward to when the clock turns quitten time. I know in the next 25 minutes I will be home and when I open the door I will hear one of my favorite words as my girls call my name with raised arms and smiles that erase my day prior.

I get to hear all about the pictures drawn, the new words learned, and of course there is no time to change clothes as Im told to come play or read a book.

I spent the day this past Sunday watching my oldest, Adalynn, run up to every kid at the city park requesting them to play tag, or come see how far she can jump, or how fast she can run. I hurt when she was rejected and felt proud as she shrugged it off and went on to the next child.

I found my thumb rubbing hard on my new redbone 1965-1969 peanut Case as my daughter with a bleeding disorder jumped from heights that make me nervous, ran full out over a rough gravel path, chased kids twice her size through a maze of playground equipment, and dove head first down slides. The joy in her eyes as she played would have been worth me breaking the mighty peanut from rubbing to hard.

When she got tired we laid in the grass and I talked to her about the changing leaves, the birds flying over, and the squirrels scattering along. She asked me if we could ice-cream later and soon, she would catch what she calls, "fresh air" and she would be off again tugging on some kids hand to play.

A few days ago she found a purple alox cadet and begged me to buy it because it matched her dress. When her first knife arrived she was excited and her face beamed as she held it and ran to show mom her new purple knife. The next day it was gone as her younger adventurous sister more than likely threw it away. A heart broken little girl begged me to find her purple knife but no luck. A few knives sold and a few days later joy returned and her new pink alox cadet is now laying in bed with, in her hand, as she sleeps.

The complexity of life is made simple when I focus on what really matters.

That is a beautiful post Brett, and you have a sweet pair of girls my friend :) :thumbup:

I think of our good friend Jack, whenever I pick up this Lambsfoot!
'Nuff said!
Simple%204_zpsbjh7jshd.jpg

THat's nice Charlie :) :) :thumbup:

Oh my! Do you have a photo of the sowbelly?!?!?

I always mean to take more pics when I go to see Stan, but the camera always seem like an intrusion :(

Then again, Perhaps it can get simpler. I found this in an old house as a kid that we recently had moved into. It was in a box of old mariner items such as a sextant and telescope.
It appears to have been hand made from horn with a fairly crude joint and blade, but I'll tell ya, that blade got seriously sharp very easily. :D

Very interesting knife Bob, that must have been a great box of treasure to find as a kid! :) :thumbup:

It's the simple things that give me the most joy. My granddaughter Hanna was diagnosed with leukemia four years ago when she was seven. This year she started playing in a girls softball league. All she has wanted to do for the last couple of years is play like a normal kid, it was great watching her have fun playing ball.

As I think of simpler things and times that brings a smile to my face goes back to before I became disabled and trout fishing was one of my greatest pleasures. My son D.J. always loved the outdoors as much as me and was always with me anytime I would head to the woods. We fished all over WNC and Eastern Tennessee but our favorite spot was Abrams Creek in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. I remember being in the creek just a little past dawn and seeing the mist coming off of the water just as the mountains started appearing all around us then a sudden tug and a beautiful rainbow or brown trout would break the water and the fight was on. My son loved cleaning the catch in the stream next to our camp site. He would carefully take that old trapper from his pocket and begin to gut and clean those trout. Afterwards we would wrap a couple of potatoes in tinfoil and throw them in the fire. A little salt, pepper and butter and the trout were on the old grate we had put on top of the camp fire. No phones, tv, internet or any other distraction. Just a man and his son enjoying what God had made and each other. Some of the most cherished memories I have.

Charlie,anyone-did Scagel use moose antler on some of his folders? The repros got me thinking of that again, a perennial question I neglect to ask.
Here on the prairie one day is 84, the next 65 something. One for sure frost, changing leaves, grass silver with dew in the morning, roofs with frost on the north-always the north to start. Watching my wife holding my son's hand as he does his almost 2 years old happy walk/skip/toddle. The one that makes everyone smile- grumpy men(me, notice I didn't say old?:D), mothers with their own children, newly empty nesters, remembering when the now gone kids were little, and drivers by who only see him for a second.
Our dog racing back to the garden to get un-picked tomatoes and peppers (why?) , then leaving them all over like presents, fall Easter eggs for me to find. Thinking about mowing for the last few times, knowing I'll miss the smell of fresh cut grass, the way green would smell. Touching the black case jack in my pocket, smooth Delrin soothing on my fingers.
New mulch to spread, my farmers lock snapping into place, ready to open bags, looking for little wood pieces to carve and cut for no reason other than, I like to.
Thanks, Neal

As I think of simpler things and times that brings a smile to my face goes back to before I became disabled and trout fishing was one of my greatest pleasures. My son D.J. always loved the outdoors as much as me and was always with me anytime I would head to the woods. We fished all over WNC and Eastern Tennessee but our favorite spot was Abrams Creek in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. I remember being in the creek just a little past dawn and seeing the mist coming off of the water just as the mountains started appearing all around us then a sudden tug and a beautiful rainbow or brown trout would break the water and the fight was on. My son loved cleaning the catch in the stream next to our camp site. He would carefully take that old trapper from his pocket and begin to gut and clean those trout. Afterwards we would wrap a couple of potatoes in tinfoil and throw them in the fire. A little salt, pepper and butter and the trout were on the old grate we had put on top of the camp fire. No phones, tv, internet or any other distraction. Just a man and his son enjoying what God had made and each other. Some of the most cherished memories I have.

indeed, in a world where folks are just hemming hawing about the new iwatch or new phone, I just tell them, i dont need one. I dont need to be more connected to social media any more than I already am. Plus I have an interest in horology, so gotta wear a real watch :D

Through a sparse and ancient wood where fungus draws life from a dying tree trunk, and an autumnal sun sheds its stark, benevolent light on the village pond of old England.....just me, my faithful dog and my trusty pocket companion.

It is in the contemplation of natural things at this time of year that we realise as one thing ends something new begins, and that in all of nature, as in life, there is a wonderful continuity.

Sincere condolences GasMan1, to yourself, your wife and family.

-Mark

Untitled by Blake Blade, on FlickrUntitled by Blake Blade, on FlickrUntitled by Blake Blade, on FlickrUntitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thank you Paul. I really appreciate the kind words and I wish you and Nanc all the best my friend. Jack, youre a pillar to the forum and thank you as well for the pm and kind words.

Forgive my second “tangent” as I can’t help but see the porch reflected in this thread or topic. :)

The constant GAW threads followed by the In Praise of threads.

The efforts to raise money for those in need. (Paul, John, Duncan, Ron, Bob, Randy, Barry)

Charlie and his ability to take any pattern and give it new life.

The depth of knowledge in the countless educators found here. Way to many to name and certainly excluding myself.

And,

Not to stereo-type folks here on the porch, but the simple image of certain knives or actions do tend to make me recall friends here on the porch.

The ever kind and deep minded Gevo with his tree stump, little critters, and rescued beauties of cutlery history. :thumbup:

Arizonaman’s 77 and a peanut in my pocket almost always comes to mind any time I carry this combo or see others do as well. :cool:

Peter and his infamous & heavenly patina peanut. :thumbup:

P~ and the eloquently written post. Imoften envy her ability. :D

Of course Jack as pictured above and his overwhelmed table of his new found steel. :D

Anytime someone copies and paste a reply of more than three knives in the totin thread it makes me say, “They pulled a GT.” :eek::p:)

Anytime someone comes along and tells it how it is with simple down to earth and valuable logic I think of Modec Ed and his well-used 15s in ebony. :thumbup::thumbup:

Christian comes along when I see a Kukri, a well-loved stag 73, or a conversation of a puukko pops up. ;)

Trand and his knowledge on GEC not to mention his 48 collection. :)

Paul and his ability to model the true nature of the porch in almost every post. :)

I could continue for a couple dozen pages.

The topic of the OP is beauty found in simplicity and function such as those found in the knives posted. Just as those knives are simple in their function, the porch echoes that simplicity by sticking to a simple mind set of respect (leading often to friendship), straight knife talk with not too much of a tangent, and a sincere respect for the history of these patterns. The porch is built on all the "simple" ideas mentioned thus far. In a world of chaos, corruption, and selfishness, the porch is a simple treasure that is guarded, protected, and filtered by two of the finest. :thumbup::thumbup:

In my opinion the Tidoute 73 is the image of simple function and beauty. The strong snap, the near perfect economics of a drop point blade and a handle of great size to carry in the pocket and grip in use. Of course allowing it to build a patina is a topping of icing imo. One day my fingers may not be able to pull it open but I will always own one, even if I have to put an EO on it.

All the best. I promise no more tangents. ;)

knives, gents. It's a knife forum.

Philosophy and the whichness of the why are topics for the Lounge.

Back