The Spyderco Drunken: Amazing knife, Ruined by its Pocket Clip Fixed with a pair of pliers

The Drunken: Amazing knife, Ruined by its Pocket Clip Fixed with a pair of pliers :D

Today I received the Drunken. And I have to say I am very happy with it. I don´t care what a lot of famous youtubers say about this knife. It has very good built quality, centering is perfect, detent is nice and the people in Taichung know how to sharpen a blade. The milling on both sides is really good!
I handled the Drunken at the Spyderco Meet in Amsterdam in 2018 and in 2019 as a prototype and like a lot of others I saw the clip was flawed. There is no room between the framelock and the clip and the clip is not flush where it touches the Ti scale. I know it is a $400+ knife and these things should be fixed before production. But I am ok with it.

Because there is a easy fix which doesn´t cost a dime. Just get a pair of pliers, some cloth to protect the clip and you are golden! It took me 5 minutes.

Here is a before, and some after pictures.

fUU9D10.jpg

rogKAGG.jpg

VL654HN.jpg

hZegSYT.jpg

W8i6Wh5.jpg

3KbCn3H.jpg

H3roFM8.jpg

2yFn6EF.jpg

instagram @knives_gear

LOL- I have the exact same set of pliers and torque screw tool. Both German made I believe, and both good tools. The knife ain't too shabby either.

Doh. I didn't realize the Drunken was $400+.

Nevertheless, if you are happy, I am happy. I generally love my Spyderco pocket clips.

It's a good looking knife. I like many of his ZT designs too.

That knife looks like a fairly close copy of the Z.T.456 Sinkevic designed, also Spyderco is selling it around twice the going price of the Z.T.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Drunken but the clip kept me from it.

I just can't see myself taking a pliers to a knife at this price point. :)

I am only posting about it because I genuinely feel it's a good candidate for a CQI'd clip.

In just what way is it vastly superior it's surly not in the blade steel.

For and finish, design detail, internal milling, blade geometry, cutting edge, weight, the list goes on and on. It’s just on another level of quality, frankly. And yes I’ve owned them both.

And I’d put my money on Spydercos S90V outperforming ZTs 20CV any day. So yeah, that’s another area in which the Drunken is superior.

Nice pics, nice fix. I'd also bend down the sticking-up end of the clip too though, so it's parallel to the scale at the tip, like the standard Spydie spoon clips, Lynch clips and all good clips that don't poke out at the end.

Nice pics, nice fix. I'd also bend down the sticking-up end of the clip too though, so it's parallel to the scale at the tip, like the standard Spydie spoon clips, Lynch clips and all good clips that don't poke out at the end.

Thanks. Bending the tip is also a good idea. Maybe I’ll try this too. I starting to like this knife more and more and it’s keeping my XM-18’s out of my pocket...

For and finish, design detail, internal milling, blade geometry, cutting edge, weight, the list goes on and on. It’s just on another level of quality, frankly. And yes I’ve owned them both.

And I’d put my money on Spydercos S90V outperforming ZTs 20CV any day. So yeah, that’s another area in which the Drunken is superior.
Not as far apart as you say, but hey you've owned both, is it worth twice? No. I love both companies but to put such a distance between the two knives and or steels isn't true, think about what 99.9 percent of the owners do with either knife.

Not as far apart as you say, but hey you've owned both, is it worth twice? No. I love both companies but to put such a distance between the two knives and or steels isn't true, think about what 99.9 percent of the owners do with either knife.

Depends on what you value in knife design and construction. The fact is that neither knife is made for 99.9 percent of knife owners. They’re made for enthusiasts, knife geeks. The 99.9% don’t need the 0456 either. Their needs would be just as well served by a Victorinox Cadet, a Buck 110, or a Delica.

So in the category that we’re actually talking about, yes the Drunken is definitely twice as good as the 0456. It’s just on another level of finishing, design, machining, and execution.

Depends on what you value in knife design and construction. The fact is that neither knife is made for 99.9 percent of knife owners. They’re made for enthusiasts, knife geeks. The 99.9% don’t need the 0456 either. Their needs would be just as well served by a Victorinox Cadet, a Buck 110, or a Delica.

So in the category that we’re actually talking about, yes the Drunken is definitely twice as good as the 0456. It’s just on another level of finishing, design, machining, and execution.
And again i post the ZT 456 has a great choice of blade steel in the Crucible CPM 20CV, and it's Design and Engineering is top quality along with it's great finish.
And at $260 today it was $240 a year ago is still a great price for a really tough working flipper knife and i might add it's pocket clip does not need any reworking.

And again i post the ZT 456 has a great choice of blade steel in the Crucible CPM 20CV, and it's Design and Engineering is top quality along with it's great finish.
And at $260 today it was $240 a year ago is still a great price for a really tough working flipper knife and i might add it's pocket clip does not need any reworking.

Hey, I'm not saying its a bad knife, quite the contrary. I spent a lot of time with that big ole chunk of titanium in my pocket and really enjoyed it. But at the end of the day a lot less goes into it than goes into the Drunken. The 0456 is a nearly half pound brick of a knife with no internal milling, whereas the Drunken features some of the most intricate milling of anything out there today. The pocket clip on the 0456 works just fine, but it's a stock ZT spring clip, nothing special or unique to the design. Another point is that on the 0456 you're dealing with a backspacer that has no set locating points and screws that thread directly into the titanium rather than chicago screws. Again, this is all fine, given that it's a lower cost knife. But that's the point. The Drunken is just on another level, despite surface level appearances. At the end of the day, whatever meets your needs and scratches your itch is all that matters for any of us.

But way more goes into the Drunken than the 0456, that's just a fact. :D

Hey, I'm not saying its a bad knife, quite the contrary. I spent a lot of time with that big ole chunk of titanium in my pocket and really enjoyed it. But at the end of the day a lot less goes into it than goes into the Drunken. The 0456 is a nearly half pound brick of a knife with no internal milling, whereas the Drunken features some of the most intricate milling of anything out there today. The pocket clip on the 0456 works just fine, but it's a stock ZT spring clip, nothing special or unique to the design. Another point is that on the 0456 you're dealing with a backspacer that has no set locating points and screws that thread directly into the titanium rather than chicago screws. Again, this is all fine, given that it's a lower cost knife. But that's the point. The Drunken is just on another level, despite surface level appearances. At the end of the day, whatever meets your needs and scratches your itch is all that matters for any of us.

But way more goes into the Drunken than the 0456, that's just a fact. :D
https://www.everydaycommentary.com/....com/2019/7/29/1yf6p1n9gbauupte06e3hba6cft2xk
The above web comment pretty well says the Spyderco Drunken miss's the mark as a useful quality knife, costing over $400 dollars.
It's sad that Les and his Spyderco Company has such a failure as the Dunken.

Back