The Stacked Leather Zone

I hate to admit this, but I don't believe I've ever owned any stacked leather. :(

I only have the Serrano. But I love it! I had admittedly stayed away from stacked leather in the past, concerned about shrinkage and having it falling apart down the road. I think John's process mostly alleviates those issues though. :thumbsup:

OpFgvKuMuzecdRQhYWAaZeg2wV7IZAeB-CTWwBqQde0.jpg
:cool:

Speaking of shrinkage... A little bird mentioned that a smaller knife, say maybe somewhere around Cowbell size would be pretty neat with some stacked leather :D
I think we need big bird for a bigger knife

Satin finished bronze, copper, or brass in that order. Satin nickel silver is nice in some applications, but it does not match well the warm earthy character of leather in my opinion. Giant polished aluminum guards and pommels are a firm no-go for me.

Phil

Last edited:
I'm with you on the aluminum Phil, plus it's the absolute worst material to work with in my opinion, gums up everything.

Nickel silver for me. I do have a Buck 119 with the aluminum guard and pommel. It was a gift from my son and the big polished pommel and slab-ish guard are iconic Buck fixed blade features. I've even considered buying a 103 Skinner Pro but I know it would go unused so I passed.

Following nickel silver, in order would be steel, brass, bronze, copper, then aluminum. I like damascus on some of the really high end bowies but the Mokume stuff is just too "Instagram" for me. Every time I see it I think fidget spinner/pocket worry stone (whatever those are)/lanyard bead/skulls glued to a Zippo lighter.

Never understood having brass guard and aluminum pommel...why mix?

Have most experience with brass and stainless, but nickel silver and bronze would be cool too.

Like the idea of bronze. Think that would age very well. 2nd choice would be brass.

Strangely, not a fan of copper. Find it always ends up looking dirty...

I've never used brass, not completely opposed to it, just not a fan. If I had to order materials I'd say Bronze, Nickel Silver, Copper. Brass and aluminum would go sit in the corner and stare at the wall. Wrught Iron would be a player for me too.

jlauffer jlauffer I think weight plays the biggest role in why the mismatch but I agree, if a brass pommel is too heavy either use an aluminum guard or redesign the pommel to something lighter.

I like to use a thin pommel piece but support it with a piece of thick micarta. That way you can have some strength without the weight.
IMG_20190907_074355_468.jpg
Good stuff guys keep it comin.

Back