The Stacked Leather Zone

I grind mine to shape with the handle. There's a lot of different ways to do it though. If you know for sure the shape you want, cut it out beforehand. I shape it as I go. You just have to make sure not to get it too hot.

just for a second I thought it was a vote into the ballot box this last Nov. 2nd.

The only people the Clan of the Cowbell plays second fiddle to is my kids. My 6 yr old wanted to forge a dagger the other day. He wants stacked leather and a bronze guard. I've never ground a dagger much less forged one but it's working out better than I thought. I didn't spend enough time on the layout but it wasn't as difficult to grind as I thought it would be. Four narrow bevels on a blade is still tricky. He's swinging a hammer well and has gotten a lot better control with his strikes. He dictated the length and width as we forged. It's a little over 5".
20211118_155045-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Kid's got great taste in knives and a steady hand. That will be a handful for the little guy but I like his style. :cool:

Last edited:
^ Great job on the multiple grinds John. You certainly got some skills considering this is your first go at this type of knife. Excellent symmetry! Your son will be very proud of that one when it’s done. 👍

Phil

Thanks guys, it'll be a learning experience for both of us. He wants a curved guard and a peened pommel. He knows way too much about knife construction.

I blame forged in fire mostly, though they've both been hanging out in the shop with me since they could walk. I'd only seen one episode of it before, there's something about a reality game show format that just completely turns me off, I don't care for all the drama. The kids found it recently on Netflix and have become obsessed. They've turned it into a game and make swords out of sticks and cornstalks. Needless to say we've been doing a lot of forging lately and it looks like I'll have to pick up my game.

Hey, John! Plugging along my friend! Feeling a little bit better.

How have you and yours been?
Good to hear!

We’re hanging in there. The boy will be going to college next year, so that’s the big thing on our plate right now.

Good to hear!

We’re hanging in there. The boy will be going to college next year, so that’s the big thing on our plate right now.
They do grow up and get gone way too fast! Seems like I should be the age that our sons are now! Lol 😬

Back