The Stroppening

Hey... got a strop?

1FpV5gO.jpg

I wanted access to more strops, and I couldn't deal with paying 35$ for a decent strop up here in Canada, so I decided to make my own.

What you're lookin' at is a lineup of six 12" strops loaded with .5 micron, something like 4 micron compound, freakin 220 grit valve grinding paste lol, Tormek 8k paste, a bare strop, and then another bare strop sanded to a nice suede and will be loaded with more green compound because, really, I feel 1 to half micron stropping compound is really where the function of the strop shines. The rest were just for fun.

ZYuF7zt.jpg

I wanted these strops to be at least half way decent quality, so I skipped the pine wood and bought 6 feet of red oak finishing lumber. They are really nice bases! Each foot cost about as much as an 8' 2x4 though, so if you just don't care about the look, slice up some pine instead.

WkqEk4Y.jpg

Oooooh! What?! I finally received a knife gift that has both sentimental value and it's actually a good knife? That's right. I was gifted the Spyderco Native 5 in S110V by my old man, which makes it probably the best and most wholly thoughtful gift I've ever received. Super blessed to call that man my father. What a knife!

Anyway, I used that leeethal steel to cut my leather blanks to length. I also don't recommend you cut yours on your carpet unless it's as shitty as mine is.

cYKGBsY.jpg

Time to glue 'em up!

I used contact cement. I don't really recommend using anything else. Contact cement is really nice to spread and coat your surface properly with, it is one of the easier super-class glues to clean up, it is far cheaper than epoxy, and it is both fast and slow: it doesn't dry too fast to stress you out while you're working, yet 30 minutes after application, it is good to go for a strong, permanent hold.

U0DoAWy.jpg

As you can see in the photo, I highly recommend you use this stuff in an enclosed space. I am higher than the Empire State right now.

Just kidding, do it in as open a space as possible, obviously. It was just too cold for me to use it outside.

RPmePBX.jpg

Whew! Those are lookin' pretty good, boys! 2 smooth, 4 suede.

Let's put some feet on those, make 'em real professional...
tDMz9f4.jpg

But the leather needs to be lubricated. It's a little dry. Get the mineral oil! I have also used olive oil on strops for years. There is no smell, there is no rotting, or anything like that. But mineral oil is also cheap and extremely neutral/colorless/odorless, so really, why would you use anything else?
jLBNToo.jpg

7lbfqXa.jpg

Looks considerably nicer with a good coat of oil, eh?

Time for some compound!

So I bought two huge bricks of compound and the wax matrix is way too hard to just scrub onto the leather. Some makers, like Veritas and SharpeningSupplies use a much softer matrix that draws on very smoothly, but not this stuff.

So what you can do is scrape a bunch of shavings onto a piece of paper. You can then use that paper to funnel them into a small container. Add some mineral oil. It will soften the wax into a really nice paste. You can accelerate the process by placing the mixture in front of a space heater for a couple minutes. The warm oil will mix very nicely, and it is an absolute dream to apply the paste to your strop
GkQNJ8Y.jpg

ivPKQoF.jpg

And when the mixture cools, you have a nice soft paste that can be smeared easily with your fingertip!
oSXVSTY.jpg

Next up were a couple experiments:
cx0kdf3.jpg

Second in from the right was the one I was most excited to try. It is literally 220 grit silicon carbide paste lol. It is Permatex Valve Grinding Compound. I did a proof of concept on some cardboard, stropping my Real Steel H5 and I quickly raised a burr. After it was on the leather, I fully reprofiled the edge bevel to a nice convex lol. Pretty cool. So you could literally sharpen your knife entirely on nothing but strops.

The next one, the white one there, is Tormek 8k paste which works very nicely too as a finishing strop that is a little more aggressive than standard half micron green compound.

Both of those strops are dry though, so they're not ideal. I might smear an extremely thin layer of silicon grease, or petroleum jelly on them to hold the compound better. But you gotta be careful, because it's easy to use too much and then your blade just wipes it off of your strop like a butter knife.

Finally, I am upgrading my Ken Schwartz 1 micron CBN which provided me quite peculiar results. I sort of wonder if the abrasive density was low or something because fresh green compound would work severalfold faster...

So we're goin' diamonds!
0wWzz2I.jpg

That's my new 12" strop, smooth side, and a 5g syringe of 1 micron diamond paste from Norton.

I applied about a gram and a half to my surface:
cBu7lG0.jpg

Although I have never had any issues with green compound, I do like to have either diamonds or CBN on hand as a kind of nuclear option. I do tend to doubt a lot of the statements about green compound and alumina not working properly on some steels as I personally haven't run into any of these problems, but in the case that I do, I wish to be prepared.

Anyway, thanks for checkin' out the new stropping arsenal. Again, I really think anything other than 1-0.5 micron compound on leather is superfluous, but a lot of fun can be had stropping on various abrasives for various finishes. I'm still pretty pumped about the 220 grit paste lol. Stropping to a toothy ~800 finish is pretty neat, and the smooth convexity is sick!

Last edited:
Very nice Thread !
WELL DONE !
That said I think people who strop and people who swear by stones have VERY DIFFERENT perspectives.
I once heard it said about Democrats and Republicans . . . it's like they are different species.
I feel the same way about strop sharpening vs stones alone.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for the individual colored boxes.
Nahhhhhh
The New Team.jpg
IMG_1623.JPG

Very nice Thread !
WELL DONE !
That said I think people who strop and people who swear by stones have VERY DIFFERENT perspectives.
I once heard it said about Democrats and Republicans . . . it's like they are different species.
I feel the same way about strop sharpening vs stones alone.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for the individual colored boxes.
Nahhhhhh
View attachment 869465
View attachment 869466

1, 2, 5, 8, 12? That’s a nice collection, man! I have the 220, 320, 1, 2, 5, 12. I didn’t think I’d need the 8... and I probably don’t but I really want it hahah

What great stones though eh?

Very nice! What leather do you use and where do you get it? Do you sand down all your strop leather?

Very nice! What leather do you use and where do you get it? Do you sand down all your strop leather?
I would be curious to know this ^

Specifically what I bought was a 2” by 72” strip of “Heavyweight Natural Cowhide Leather" from Tandy. They have a ton of options. You can even make yourself some camo strops lol

So, I used the natural suede side which is a coarser texture for 4 out of 6 of the above, but I would absolutely recommend sanding the smooth side to a nice suede. That provided the idea texture for me, I also think it looks the best, and if I could go back and do it again, I'd have glued them all smooth-side-up and sanded them with 220 paper

I just did the same thing and went strop crazy. Great thread and i don’t want to take anything away from it but if anyone wants some other ideas here is what I came up with.

I got my leather on amazon. You want the heavy 8oz or above leather. Make sure it’s veg tan or tooling leather. The chromium tanned leather is softer and not ideal for strops. Also, I used poplar for the wood. It’s in between the price of oak and pine but the grain is better than pine and it’s considered a hardwood still.
I also make paste from bars of compound with mineral oil instead of going through the hassle of using it like a crayon. I just brake the bars into chunks put them in a small canning jar then into the microwave and heat for a couple minutes until melted. Then i mix in the mineral oil slowly. I mix 50:50 compound bar to mineral oil by weight and it give a very pliable end product.
Instead of feet I went with the rubber shelf lining mats. Holds the strop in place on the counter very securely.

Again Great write up thank you. I just wish it was a month or two earlier though!!!

Ohh and because I’m an addict I saw 3ld bag of leather scraps at hobby lobby for $7 and figured I would try those out too. If you want to go cheaper and have a decent end product it’s usable but not nearly as good as the other leather I got. They have tooling leather hides which may be ok but I wasn’t going to spend $30 more on top of what i already have just to experiment....not yet atleast!

Thank you for this great post. Now I have an idea of what to get and where. I am also in the great white north so this is all very helpful.
Thanks again.
Regards
Tar :)

I just did the same thing and went strop crazy. Great thread and i don’t want to take anything away from it but if anyone wants some other ideas here is what I came up with.

I got my leather on amazon. You want the heavy 8oz or above leather. Make sure it’s veg tan or tooling leather. The chromium tanned leather is softer and not ideal for strops. Also, I used poplar for the wood. It’s in between the price of oak and pine but the grain is better than pine and it’s considered a hardwood still.
I also make paste from bars of compound with mineral oil instead of going through the hassle of using it like a crayon. I just brake the bars into chunks put them in a small canning jar then into the microwave and heat for a couple minutes until melted. Then i mix in the mineral oil slowly. I mix 50:50 compound bar to mineral oil by weight and it give a very pliable end product.
Instead of feet I went with the rubber shelf lining mats. Holds the strop in place on the counter very securely.

Again Great write up thank you. I just wish it was a month or two earlier though!!!

You must be from the US, eh? I am so jealous of your guy's Amazon. It's incredible. You guy's have everything on there! I checked ours, but Amazon in Canada, while super awesome if your product is available with Prime shipping, is pretty unreliable for a lot of stuff. The strips I found on there said they would ship in the next 2 to 5 months haha!

But yeah, specifically, that is what I ended up using as well. 8-9oz veg tanned leather. It's, like, the ideal strop leather, hey? A little give, but still pretty hard.

Thank you for this great post. Now I have an idea of what to get and where. I am also in the great white north so this is all very helpful.
Thanks again.
Regards
Tar :)
Glad I could be of service, man. Post your strop when you make it!

I appreciate the info. I didn't realize a sanded smooth side makes a good strop. I thought the rough side got sanded.

I appreciate the info. I didn't realize a sanded smooth side makes a good strop. I thought the rough side got sanded.
I mean, I figure you could, but yeah, sanding the smooth does bring a nice degree of nap to the surface. With my specific leather I’d be a little worried about bring up too much nap if I sanded the rough side. Might end up smooth ‘em out a tad though

Back