The Sunday Picture Show... (1-19-2020) . . . (OLD Show Look at the DATE...)

Here is a model 102 stacked with leather and micarta spacers to go with ITE's stacked leather 119. This 102 was offered in the 2011 catalog. On another note, it seems even the American icon Gerstner has joined the "Made in China" ranks. Just found this monster on sale at Garrett Wade for $399. At 24" tall and 12" deep it is HUGE. I always admired the wooden Gerstner chests but a nice big USA one will cost over $2,000. It will not be confused with a USA classic but still nicely constructed for the price. I have not decided it's ultimate use yet. My machinist tools are already parked in a bunch of nice Kennedy chests, perhaps I should fill it with some nice Bucks. The only negative on this new box is no chest handles so it is still sitting by the front door where I unpacked it because it is very heavy. I'll pull all the drawers and hump it to the basement later today.

View attachment 1268390 View attachment 1268391
https://www.garrettwade.com/large-solid-oak-gerstner-solutions-chest.html

Nice chest! Shortly after Garrett Wade started I did my best to keep them in business—lots of chisels, hand planes, and saws, along with other things I couldn't live without. Their catalog was a work of art and every photo made you think you had to buy. Do they still have a print catalog?

Kennedy.jpg
So, I bought these two off the big auction site awhile back. I was very impressed with the workmanship. Turns out they are from a guy who lives in the Phoenix area. So I contacted him.
Here was his reply:
My name is Craig Kennedy. I did do the vine pattern metal work on the back spring and blade. I also did the refurbishing along with scales and liners. This is a hobby I do in my spare time. I mainly work with lockbacks 110s, 112's etc. I have done some Craftsman(Camilus) lockbacks for some friends. The scales I have worked with are mostly wood and Micarta. Scale material I have in my shop include. Black Palm, Wenge, iron wood, Spalted maple burl, bamboo hardwood laminate, olive wood, mesquite, koa, and rose wood. I usually cut and plane my own scales to try and use the best grain combinations.
Great, right? So I took a chance and sent him a knife and some scales I had kicking around. This is what he did:
Kennedy 5.jpg Kennedy 4.jpg Kennedy 1.jpg Kennedy 2.jpg Kennedy 3.jpg Kennedy 6.jpg
This guy is a craftsman. PM me if you want his info. Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules here.

Thanks jbmonkey. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong.

yes Sir.

everyone liked what your kids built for ya. lots of likes on that post....had to make sure everyone knew it was yours not mine....although wish my kid made me something that nice.:)

Thanks again for the great comment, folks.

Just for clarity, my daughter was the one that made the display. She wouldn't let her brother help. Lol

He had gotten me the 110 Slim Pro that is pictured 4th from the bottom.

I have great kids!

A tool box that I purchased new in the spring of 1965, with a Buck knife. I hope this qualifies for the Sunday show.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

9oe7WsJ.jpg

RweFmAX.jpg

pPfBMDW.jpg

qvd7mCS.jpg

Makael, what you have there is the model 421 "Newt". My version in the clam shell says made in USA (would have guessed Taiwan). Can be seen in the 2003 and '04 Buck catalogs.
Awesome. Thank you

Back