The Survive! Never Say Die! Chat Thread

I was already at work when she sent me those pics. She said she used the broom to corner it and she just grabbed it. Evidently, it was really tired, so she didn't have to do a lot of chasing!

Definitely sharing this story with my girls, thank you :thumbsup: In her shoes, i would totally have claimed that I simply charmed the animal into my hands, that it flew straight to me, or something like that ;) In a sense, I suppose that is exactly what she did!

We love those little guys. We have a feeder out back for them. Here's a little tip for anybody that does, when you make their food like we do, of a 4 to 1 mixture (1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup water) add a teaspoon of cheap grape jelly when the water is boiling. They LOVE it!

Thank you for that tip!! I will present that to my kids as well. We have a feeder up on our porch that is frequented and a jar of grape jelly that will otherwise never be eaten ;)

Professor Chiral, I've found it easier to add the jelly first, and stir to make sure it disappears. Then the sugar. They go bonkers. ;)

We refer to it as Hummer food and it disappears faster with the grape jelly in it.
*Disclamer.....your results may vary...but I doubt it!

Hey you all, it seems to me that every time I click on the Survive Forum lately, all I read about is negativity. Can we use this area to talk about positive things? Good stuff? Like what have you used your Survive knife for lately? What/where'd you go fishing?
Are you planning a hunting trip? Dave?
Have you made a survival kit?
Pics of your knife with your pet?
Yea, I'm full of it! :poop:

Hey you all, it seems to me that every time I click on the Survive Forum lately, all I read about is negativity. Can we use this area to talk about positive things? Good stuff? Like what have you used your Survive knife for lately? What/where'd you go fishing?

I agree. I've mostly lurked this week due to all this stuff I've been reading. Some of it pretty surprising, being new to this Survive subforum. All I know is, this subforum has some great folks! I wonder if we can go back to posting pics of knives making feathersticks and stuff like that!

Yes! Thank you! I'll have some new pics to show on Monday, not a new knife, but something new. I'm working most of this weekend and the late part of summer was spent mostly away from trees and knives. I'll see if I can find some unshared pics that I have floating around.

...just a note to let you know that Silver Needle, Hard Knocks and Oyster (in combo) have made it possible for me to acquire a 2.7... I am delighted. THANKS TO ALL YOU FINE FOLKS...
to quote Oyster... with minor variation of wording..
"I'm relatively new to the S!K subforum and have found some great people there. They gave me a really nice welcome and Hard Knocks graciously provided me with my very first GSO. As I mentioned on one of the threads, I remembered you posting that you were looking for a 2.7 when I saw it during a quick break at work, so I jumped right on it. It seemed the right thing and in keeping with the spirit of camaraderie among the folks of the subforum.
Hard Knocks (and Silver and a few others) are the ones that really set the tone and how I feel about the forum. Just tell him that I said you had him to thank for looking out for a fellow subforum member."

All I know is, this subforum has some great folks! I wonder if we can go back to posting pics of knives making feathersticks and stuff like that!

Now there s a man with a good plan. Yes sir.

I love the steel, and hope to get my 4.5. And my 6, and the 12... Love the way it works, but I am still learning the best sharpening techniques for it.

...just a note to let you know that Silver Needle, Hard Knocks and Oyster (in combo) have made it possible for me to acquire a 2.7... I am delighted. THANKS TO ALL YOU FINE FOLKS...
to quote Oyster... with minor variation of wording..
"I'm relatively new to the S!K subforum and have found some great people there. They gave me a really nice welcome and Hard Knocks graciously provided me with my very first GSO. As I mentioned on one of the threads, I remembered you posting that you were looking for a 2.7 when I saw it during a quick break at work, so I jumped right on it. It seemed the right thing and in keeping with the spirit of camaraderie among the folks of the subforum.
Hard Knocks (and Silver and a few others) are the ones that really set the tone and how I feel about the forum. Just tell him that I said you had him to thank for looking out for a fellow subforum member."

I'm glad you were able to land a 2.7 Sonny :thumbsup: I realized too late that you were wanting one. That was a really cool gesture by Oyster who I hope is able to share some stories from his trips abroad someday. I know I would be interested. Oyster Oyster thanks for paying it forward friend.

Now there s a man with a good plan. Yes sir.

I love the steel, and hope to get my 4.5. And my 6, and the 12... Love the way it works, but I am still learning the best sharpening techniques for it.
Check out the sharpening thread, there's a lot of great I formation from a lot of good people. I consider myself a novice, but I'm still able to get a hair shaving edge on a small diamond plate or loaded strop with what I've learned here.

Check out the sharpening thread, there's a lot of great I formation from a lot of good people. I consider myself a novice, but I'm still able to get a hair shaving edge on a small diamond plate or loaded strop with what I've learned here.

I'm also a novice and so it's better to get advice from those with more experience, who will probably have different recommendations depending on the steel and condition of the edge. But I agree with Silver re diamond plates: they will (very) easily put a hair shaving sharp edge on even very hard steels (e.g. S110V etc.). They are also capable of removing A LOT of material, however, which is why I mostly only use the extra fine and/or extra extra fine (I use DMT) and with a very light touch (think weight of the blade without much if any additional pressure). Ceramics are also something I want to look into.

Some solid beating on those knives :thumbsup: I knew that the 20CV must have taken a chip when he hit it that last time into the sheet metal and the plate twisted something fierce with the apex in the cut :eek: Thems the breaks when just your edge (and probably around only 0.020" at the shoulder) is basically vised in place and then twisted like that. I do wonder if the 3V could have handled that twist better - I want to believe that it could, but is test of the 3V 5.1 in the sheet metal didn't show twist like that, nor did the Fallkniven experience them. Still, the Fallkie looks to have the thicker edge as well as stock, so it may have endured a twist better regardless *shrug*

Fun to see some other folk hammering their blades through sheet metal ;) Keep the cut straight and no worries, but add in a sudden twist...

Some solid beating on those knives :thumbsup: I knew that the 20CV must have taken a chip when he hit it that last time into the sheet metal and the plate twisted something fierce with the apex in the cut :eek: Thems the breaks when just your edge (and probably around only 0.020" at the shoulder) is basically vised in place and then twisted like that. I do wonder if the 3V could have handled that twist better - I want to believe that it could, but is test of the 3V 5.1 in the sheet metal didn't show twist like that, nor did the Fallkniven experience them. Still, the Fallkie looks to have the thicker edge as well as stock, so it may have endured a twist better regardless *shrug*

Fun to see some other folk hammering their blades through sheet metal ;) Keep the cut straight and no worries, but add in a sudden twist...

Taking that into consideration you think the 20cv held up relatively well then?
Definitely fun to see others hammering through metal. I've seen your similar tests too ;)
I appreciate these tests to know what knives can handle because I couldnt bring myself to do it to my own knives unless in an emergency

Taking that into consideration you think the 20cv held up relatively well then?
Definitely fun to see others hammering through metal. I've seen your similar tests too ;)
I appreciate these tests to know what knives can handle because I couldnt bring myself to do it to my own knives unless in an emergency

If it hadn't been for that twist, I'm not sure he'd have seen much difference in edge damage between the two :thumbsup:

Something I didn't include in my 2.7 review-video due to time was a thinned-down Buck Paklite skinner - some good 420HC with a recognized heat treatment. I put it thriugh the same abuse as the 20CV 2.7 and... dang, did I ever mess THAT edge up!

Stand-by, pulling a 30 second clip from that video...

Here we go, and note the idiotic titter at the end to better illustrate that what I did was NOT a good idea ;)

Last edited:
Back