The Survive! Never Say Die! Chat Thread

Taking that into consideration you think the 20cv held up relatively well then?
Definitely fun to see others hammering through metal. I've seen your similar tests too ;)
I appreciate these tests to know what knives can handle because I couldnt bring myself to do it to my own knives unless in an emergency

Ah, yes, my namesake is also wondering how the 4.1 in 20CV holds up :)

Should be fine - and I also don't see myself pounding it through metal.

So glad that others are willing to make sacrifices in the interest of science - and so the rest of us don't have to :)

More seriously, there was a thread that started discussing SS that S!K was using and the question also came up whether there was a change in the HT that caused Guy to also offer it in larger knives (5.1 after he initially limited it to the 4.1). That thread got a little sidetracked and the question was never really answered. Any thoughts, Chiral?

Thanks Chiral, alwaya full of information and wisdom :cool::thumbsup:

And I agree Oyster, the 4.1 in 20cv should be just fine for most realistic tasks. And even still in an emergency if you did have to do that or something similar to your knife, on a larger scale that chip is actually not that bad...i have definitely seen worse and the knife is still more than useable at that point.

I agree with XtianAus, that chip isn't catastrophic, though if he wants nice even bevels again then he needs the tools and time to set it right. A spyderco sharpmaker ain't gonna do that! ;)

Regarding different SS being offered in the 5.1s, I suspect that Guy was just experimenting with some steels that his provider may have talked him into :) and the 5.1 was the model currently in production. If the 2.7 or new 3.5 or 4.1 had been first, we'd probably have seen those in such variations and still may if there is any left laying around.

Remember that Guy started out with Elmax as an option for his own EDC 4, then M390 was an option on the 4.1, then he experimented by making some out of S90V and also S7 steel. Switching to 20CV from M390 fit with his USA preference. I think he is still looking at SS options, 20CV is simply thought of as among the "best", just like 3v is so highly praised. Guy wants to provide the best ;)

Last edited:
I agree with XtianAus, that chip isn't catastrophic, though if he wants nice even bevels again then he needs the tools and time to set it right. A spyderco sharpmaker ain't gonna do that! ;)

Regarding different SS being offered in the 5.1s, I suspect that Guy was just experimenting with some steels that his provider may have talked him into :) and the 5.1 was the model currently in production. If the 2.7 or new 3.5 or 4.1 had been first, we'd probably have seen those in such variations and still may if there is any left laying around.

Remember that Guy started out with Elmax as an option for his own EDC 4, then M390 was an option on the 4.1, then he experimented by making some out of S90V and also S7 steel. Switching to 20CV from M390 fit with his USA preference. I think he is still looking at SS options, 20CV is simply thought of as among the "best", just like 3v is so highly praised. Guy wants to provide the best ;)
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Chiral and Xtian :)
I generally agree re 20CV.
I guess what I was getting at was what prompted Guy to change his mind about offering SS in models bigger than the 4.1 given the hesitations he expressed about it at first? Customer requests, a greater willingness to accept certain trade-offs or, in fact, some change in the HT that allowed the steel (in this case 20CV) to perform better in hard use than originally expected?

I could be mistaken, but it seems to me that (at least) most makers that offer SS in outdoor/survival/bushcraft-type knives stop at about the 4"/4.5" mark (if not before) and that anything bigger is a rarity.

I'm really more interested than concerned. (Let's just say I've been bitten by the "steel bug" and love reading about different steels, their compositions etc -even though my knowledge in metallurgy is limited and discussions soon go way over my head :) not to mention understanding that a host of other factors, such as the grind, thickness, edge etc etc can have just as much if not more influence on how a knife performs than merely the chosen steel)

Hey guys, I would like to take a moment a give some kudos to one of our Survive brothers.
Jonny recently reprofiled a BR Gunny in A2 for me and to be honest, I only thought I knew how to sharpen a knife. This knife is sharper that I sharpen my knives to. He even went so far as to strop her on bare horsehide as the final stage.
I can't wait to test her out.

If I am not allowed to post up something like this here...kindly let me know and I will delete. The good Lord knows I don't always do the right thing.
Jonny, you are the man!

Hey guys, I would like to take a moment a give some kudos to one of our Survive brothers.
Jonny recently reprofiled a BR Gunny in A2 for me and to be honest, I only thought I knew how to sharpen a knife. This knife is sharper that I sharpen my knives to. He even went so far as to strop her on bare horsehide as the final stage.

If I am not allowed to post up something like this here...kindly let me know and I will delete.
Jonny, you are the man!

I really hope you enjoy your knife now! It has been maximized to cut warm butter now...:D

If I am not allowed to post up something like this here...kindly let me know and I will delete.
Jonny, you are the man!

If you add a picture of the sharpened blade, I think it should be fine :)
By me, anyway...

Dang, we shoulda thought, your camera/skills are waay better than mine. Kinda like your sharpening skills. :eek:

Guys, you'll have to wait. I'm getting ready to head out the door now. Jonny, tell everybody what you did to it?

Nice teamwork here, guys. If you get some pics up, even better!

I'm on a pretty good streak of just stropping. I haven't let anything get too dull that I need a stone. I used to go to my DMT plates right away, but some guys here got me into stropping. My skills are fine for what I need, but I'm still a novice when it comes to sharpening.

Guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle, I'm in WV at the MIL's catching up on stuff that needs to be done before cold weather sets in. I have the knife with me, but my camera is not, and I've never, ever taken one with this phone and figured out how to get it to work
Long story short, you might have to wait a tad. But suffice it to say, this thing's damn near got a mirror edge on it.

Last edited:
Guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle, I'm in WV at the MIL's catching up on stuff that needs to be down before cold weather sets in. I have the knife with me, but my camera is not, and I've never, ever taken one with this phone and figured out how to get it to work
Long story short, you might have to wait a tad. But suffice it to say, this things damn near got a mirror edge on it.
Guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle, I'm in WV at the MIL's catching up on stuff that needs to be down before cold weather sets in. I have the knife with me, but my camera is not, and I've never, ever taken one with this phone and figured out how to get it to work
Long story short, you might have to wait a tad. But suffice it to say, this things damn near got a mirror edge on it.
Unfortunately for you, now that you have us all curious and greedily waiting, that means you can't use it until pics are taken and shared...

Back