The Survive! Never Say Die! Chat Thread

Fancier Fancier ? C CataD ? Who knows the dates for when starters and preorders and presales all started and ended? I'm trying to remember what type of order my 12 was........

Hey SN, for some reason I didn't get any @ notification, just saw your post...

This is the email we received on March 19, 2015. I think they kept the end date, of April 30..

upload_2018-2-1_21-13-28.png

Cheers,
C.

Now I'm wondering if the 10 will get a forward lanyard hole as well.....

I don't believe Guy is planning to add the forward lanyard hole to the GSO-10, but he could change his mind. As each models get closer to starting production he sits down and makes sure he's 100% happy with it.

Does anyone recall whether the 4.7 will be available through the SK line?
I think the plan is to make it happen eventually, but the 4.7 is currently near the very end of the line in order of what will go into future production. I don't have s direct quote from SURVIVE! on that, though.

I believe that Silver is correct, that as the last model to be completed it would also be the last model for future production.
It is not on Survive's current production schedule.

What a shame. I regret not jumping on them when i had the chance.
Thanks for the info guys

This could be a stupid question, but are knives still being made with sabre grinds?
I mildly remember there being discussion about the grind being changed to hollow? Or am I losing my mind.

This could be a stupid question, but are knives still being made with sabre grinds?
I mildly remember there being discussion about the grind being changed to hollow? Or am I losing my mind.
I was going to reply with a simple “yes” but decided it wouldn’t be fair to keep you guessing about which of your questions I was responding to ;)

The issue came up in connection with Millit and the new spec 3.5 model. After some tweaking, it seems they found a way to give the knives the usual flat sabre grind :thumbsup:

I was going to reply with a simple “yes” but decided it wouldn’t be fair to keep you guessing about which of your questions I was responding to ;)

The issue came up in connection with Millit and the new spec 3.5 model. After some tweaking, it seems they found a way to give the knives the usual flat sabre grind :thumbsup:
Haha i much prefer that reply^
Thanks for the info Oyster

Have gso's always had flat sabre grinds or regular sabre grinds?

Haha i much prefer that reply^
Thanks for the info Oyster

Have gso's always had flat sabre grinds or regular sabre grinds?

No expert here, but:
Sabre generally refers to how far up on the blade the grind goes. Hollow, flat or convex then describes how the ground portion is shaped. To my knowledge, GSOs have always been flat sabre grinds.

No expert here, but:
Sabre generally refers to how far up on the blade the grind goes. Hollow, flat or convex then describes how the ground portion is shaped. To my knowledge, GSOs have always been flat sabre grinds.
Ive learnt a ridiculous amount from reading and researching since starting to collect in the past two years, but there is one thing I just cannot completely wrap my head around and that's grinds.

Ive learnt a ridiculous amount from reading and researching since starting to collect in the past two years, but there is one thing I just cannot completely wrap my head around and that's grinds.
Again, no expert, but given that most of the steels used in the better knives today are more than adequate for the average user, stock thickness and grind are probably among the biggest determinants for how a knife will perform for a given task on a particular medium. Having said that - and having witnessed many discussions on another forum - I give more weight to the grind and how a blade tapers down to the edge (i.e. how thin it is behind the edge) than to thickness (within reason) at the spine.

The general consensus, I believe, is that:
Hollow grinds (“weakest”) are typically found on hunting/skinning knives where the ability to slice a softer medium that naturally parts is paramount. Convex grinds are the often preferred choice for wood working. Flat grinds are a “happy medium”. Sabre grinds are most commonly flat and add additional strength to the spine.
Note, however, that knife enthusiasts (“amateur experts” like yours truly) can - and will - discuss the relative merits of each for days.
Can of worms :eek:

Googling knife grinds will turn up numerous sites with illustrations and explanations about the various options.

Last edited:
Part of the problem discussing grinds is the many different ways that folks describe their knives, so sometimes it can be hard to tell exactly what somebody is using.
The other part of discussing grinds is the amazing variety of techniques, preferences, and uses to which people put their knives.
On the other hand, if the discussions were simple, easy, and conclusive it would not be much of a hobby! ;)
I have a couple of specialized uses for which I've had a lot of fun finding the best geometry and the way I've approached it is to experiment. There are a lot of very affordable knives out there that will allow you to compare grinds and edge geometry for your specific tasks, so buy a few different types and have fun!
Once you've figured out what kind of blade you prefer and how you want the edge configured then you can go nuts and buy a high end version.

Last edited:
Makes a lot more sense now. Just need to learn to identify what each grind looks like visually.
Thanks again Oyster + Francer

Back