The Swords of HI

I edc a 24 3/4 cutlass (yes-I really do) and to be honest I see any/all swords and chopping type tools to be quite useless with a "hair splitting razor edge",I know I USE them!! I've finished a few possiums and a coon' or two....razor sharp just means you'll frig-up the edge and need to fix it...or maybe get a broken blade!

Mostly I get them good 'an sharp and let the last inch or so be a bit dull,so as to leave it thick for stabbing.;)

Great thread. Don't goto e-mail the read is wonderful. Start a new thread if thread veer is a problem. Meaning, I want in on the read if you don't mind.

Now Im going to show some swords I would like to see HI make once in a while:

rajputs.jpg

I like #2 in that last post. Its like a staff size sword. Some kinda boar hunting weapon. Fun. As a southerner I think that would look good in my rear truck window! It screams...CUT ME OFF, I DARE YOU!!!!!!

aproy1101 said:
Great thread. Don't goto e-mail the read is wonderful. Start a new thread if thread veer is a problem. Meaning, I want in on the read if you don't mind.

I've gotta agree with Andy here. If it's a problem I'll sort the posts and put them in another thread if one of you guys will start it and want me too.:thumbup:
Just let me know which ones you want me to move if any.;)

Too interesting of topics to take to email IMO.

Yvsa
We thought we'd try to prevent any problems and split them up between the cantina and here. In the cantina, the thread is called "using the tibetan sword"

DannyinJapan said:
Yvsa
We thought we'd try to prevent any problems and split them up between the cantina and here. In the cantina, the thread is called "using the tibetan sword"

Okay, thanks DIJ.:thumbup: :D

I just got word that the Kamis are making my eleven-inch handled Short Tibetan sword as we speak.
Im getting excited now.

You'know if you ask me what I'd like to see :D

A chinese dao (ox-tail type)

And a sword-sized Katar! :eek:

Krull said:
..to be honest I see any/all swords and chopping type tools to be quite useless with a "hair splitting razor edge".... razor sharp just means you'll frig-up the edge and need to fix it...or maybe get a broken blade!

Mostly I get them good 'an sharp and let the last inch or so be a bit dull,so as to leave it thick for stabbing.;)

I find myself straddling the fence on whether or not to disagree with you, depending on how you're defining some things. I would not use an edge as thin as a straight razor on a sword, obviously, but I would want it to be no thicker than it absolutely had to be. I don't bother taking my edges to a fine polish that could shave cleanly, as I prefer a coarser more aggressive edge. This is not the same thing as saying it's dull. Just different, and for different targets.

I do not agree with the notion of purposely dulling a blade in an effort to prevent damage. This is an edge geometry or thickness issue; not one of sharpness. An axe can be sharp as a razor, but they will have vastly different edge geometry. It might get dull or slightly damaged in use, so you want to start out by intentionally "damaging" it? That makes no sense to me.

By the way, I'd love to hear your stories about the coons and possums. Seriously. Post 'em in the cantina or drop me an email. :thumbup:

the possum said:
I find myself straddling the fence on whether or not to disagree with you, depending on how you're defining some things. I would not use an edge as thin as a straight razor on a sword, obviously, but I would want it to be no thicker than it absolutely had to be. I don't bother taking my edges to a fine polish that could shave cleanly, as I prefer a coarser more aggressive edge. This is not the same thing as saying it's dull. Just different, and for different targets.

I do not agree with the notion of purposely dulling a blade in an effort to prevent damage. This is an edge geometry or thickness issue; not one of sharpness. An axe can be sharp as a razor, but they will have vastly different edge geometry. It might get dull or slightly damaged in use, so you want to start out by intentionally "damaging" it? That makes no sense to me.

My thoughts *EXACTLY*. My school of swordsmanship dates to the pre-16th cent. battlefields, and we do actually use edge on edge blocks, but they're more like deflections, aiming to put the most resistant part of the blade to cover your change of direction/evasive actions/defensive moves...

The practice of dulling the tachi or katana before a battle is an historical fact, not an opinion of mine or anyone else's.
so, you can agree or disagree with those men all you like, it happened nevertheless.
Dont you guys think it would be of more use to consider and learn from the practices of real warriors?
Sometimes what they did in practice seems odd, but that usually gives me all the more pleasure in studying it.

DannyinJapan said:
The practice of dulling the tachi or katana before a battle is an historical fact, not an opinion of mine or anyone else's.
so, you can agree or disagree with those men all you like, it happened nevertheless.
Dont you guys think it would be of more use to consider and learn from the practices of real warriors?
Sometimes what they did in practice seems odd, but that usually gives me all the more pleasure in studying it.

do you have any literary references for this?

it is good to study "from the practices of real warriors" if what the real warriors did is usable, reasonable, or with a specific logical function. its good to study history in general, but for a practicallity stand point, certain things may fall by the wayside as time goes on, if they were indeed used. while it would appear that if the intent was to use a the main weapon of the battle feild as an impact and stabbing weapon, it would seem that rather then damaging your own sword, you would use something more suited for as an impact weapon and a stabbing weapon, as often seen in europe. but: i have no education in any of this, so my opinion is moot.

how much metal armor did samurai wear during the time period your mentioning (doesnt change anything that was said, just curious)?

i'll try to get a photo of the patang (bhutan sword) up.....

Ill try and get you a list of books to check out, its 1am here!

There are always factors we may not know about that make our assumptions incorrect.
this is an important point to consider when studying the practices of people who lived 500 years ago and 10,000 miles away.
It might also bear consideration that the dulling of the sword wasnt necessarily considered "damage" Japanese swords are polished several times over their lives and that removes metal as well.

There was, in Europe, a common practice of owning two blades and one hilt.
The lighter blade for peacetime carry, and the heavier blade for war.

Im off to bed for now...

Can't wait to get the Neem Zombie Killer I was lucky enough to get in yesterday's DOTD!

Thanks for this thread...great to see how many more I "have" to get. lol

;) My earlier comments were not regarding what warriors in ancient Japan did or did not do. They were about the difference between sharpness and edge geometry.

I can take a straight razor and dull the very edge by cutting through a pile of sand, too. Have I made it stronger in any way? If I polish the edge of a meat cleaver (without thinning the edge) so that it will shave hair from my arm, have I weakened it?

Back