The time is almost here. Smoke please....

Friday, tomorrow, April 28th at 1:00 PM EST, the surgeon will be cutting into my knee, doing a total knee replacement. I will be having an epidural and will be mentally orbiting the planet Krypton.

I have researched this carefully and the likelihood of success for this operation is very high. There is always a risk. Just like life. You just never know what the day will bring.

Consultations with the pre-op people, anesthesiologists, surgeon, a million tests. Everybody says I am healthy and ready. I guess I must be.

Dammit, I AM!

My Will is current. Anne knows all my passwords and where the "bones are buried."

The alarms are set. I have a house sitter whom I trust. All preparations are made as best I can. Anne has the notebook computer packed. The iRiver is full of meditations, music. I got my new headphones from K-Mart. Bathrobe, packed. Rubber soled slippers, packed.

I have that sinking feeling in my stomach. But I am ready. I don't like having to do this. Never spent the night in a hospital. Never had major surgery. Did I mention I don't like doing this?

Concern for infection, blood clots, respiratory, nausea, constipation 2% risk they say. Should not have read the release forms. They spell out every thing that could go wrong and how the hospital and doctors can not be blamed.

Now that I have depressed everyone I want to say that I am very tired of the pain of having no cartilage left in my knee. It is getting worse. The pain is about 8 on a scale of 1 to 10.

A knee replacement is just the thing! I will be able to hike, to run, to ballroom dance again in about two months. I really miss those things.

I am supposed to be walking Saturday. Not far, but doing the therapy. I was going to make this short, but the words keep coming. I want to ask for your smoke and prayers. Some for me, but I will be out of it around noon tomorrow.

We have counted the steps to the bathroom from the bed. To the sofa. To the dining room. The height of the bed. The toilet. As soon as I can navigate these distances, I can come home. They suggest it will be 3 - 5 days.

Smoke and prayers for Anne that she can sleep tonight. That she can have peace. She doesn't get the "I-don't-give-a-damn-pills."

After the operation She has to stay awake and watch over me. She has to drive because I won't be able to for six weeks. She will have to put up with the mood swings I will probably have because I am a very active person and I won't be able to do the things I usually do for at least six weeks.

I'll be back soon. The hospital has wireless broadband and I will send an email as soon as I can. Hopefully Saturday. That seems like a long way from now.

I don't know how to close this, so I'll just stop. But I want every one of you to know how much I enjoy this Forum.

I'll be in touch very soon.

I am going to go play “Halo 2” on the Xbox 360. Maybe a little time in the hot tub and watch the sun go down. I know it will be up early tomorrow and it will be a bright and shining day!

Peace, Y’all!

Prayers from the limestone cliffs of the Little Rocky Mountains in Montana, USA.

Here's to the future walks you'll be taking.

munk

Bill, you will do just fine! Don't let the anxiety force up the BP. Two weeks from now you will be sorry you waited so long.
Positive thoughts.

Dick

You'll be fine.

Did you sign the release form allowing Anne to smother you with a pillow if you become too big of a PIA?

Important document.

Enjoy the drugs. My best to Anne.

Standard bet Bill, pinch a pretty nurse on the butt, blame it on the meds. Just kidding, behave yourself, or they'll shave places you don't need shaved. :eek: ;)

Smoke and prayers from here,
Sarge

Smoke up. From what I've heard, rehab is a pain, but people are soon very glad that they got their knee done. They think the whole thing is quite worth it.

Smoke and prayers to bring quiet to your mind, skill to the surgeons, and speed to your healing. (and a little extra for Anne :p )

You'll be just fine.

Steve

Yikes... but this will go well, you'll see.

Well, you can already see, but you'll be able to walk a lot better. :foot:

Good luck and smoke up right now for you, Bill.

Mike

Prayers for safe surgery and speedy healing Bill:thumbup:

Here's a tip to help calm your fears: your body will respond to what you believe will happen. It works with stress and worry and it works with positive thoughts about healing and surgery too.

See yourself coming out of the surgery doing great (before you go under). Then when you come out visualize yourself healing well and rapidly.

Try you might just be amazed at what happens.

Not mystical woo woo (to steal from Munk) but proven mind/body technique.

Best wishes!

Smoke and Song for my friend and brother in his hour of need and after.:thumbup:

Consider it done Bill. In a few months this will be a bad memory and you'll be enjoying your new mobility. Focus on that.

Bill , I,m in the midst of preparing for the most fun and gruelling tournament of the year . I,m sharpening up the tomahawks and knives . In the woods , across water targets , moving targets , steel targets .Possibility of blizzards or mud galore . I am hopping full of positive energy . U,ll throw some hawks and knives with you in mind . I,ll wait till there are a couple of longshts and launch a couple of arrows as well . It always does a lot for me so I,m sure it will work for you .

Prayers from the west coast for you and Anne.

By the time I wake up ( I sleep late and I'm on the west coast) you should already be out of surgery. :D

Back