The TRADITIONAL sunday picture show!!!!

After seeing the prices being paid for Ancient Barlows over the last week or so, I figured that this would be a good Sunday to post a picture of an ancient Barlow. This one has been used and carried, there are a couple of tiny blade notches, and a couple of small pin cracks, but otherwise this knife is in fine shape. Nice smooth bone bolsters, still locks open, still has a nice snap on closing. Is there anything better than a good ol' Russell Barlow?:

hVJM4wI.jpg

Made fajitas last night and pressed the Sod Buster Jr. into service. Stropped it afterwards to clean up the edge.
It has sorta become my de facto small kitchen knife, for meat, veggies and especially fruit. The cutting board is Corian, but I always cut on a kitchen towel to keep from dulling the edge.
(My wife just smiled when I stopped cooking to get some pictures...she doesn’t understand, but patiently puts up with me!)

BF396DCA-B8F5-4ABA-891A-6C0E41345E3B.jpeg

After seeing the prices being paid for Ancient Barlows over the last week or so, I figured that this would be a good Sunday to post a picture of an ancient Barlow. This one has been used and carried, there are a couple of tiny blade notches, and a couple of small pin cracks, but otherwise this knife is in fine shape. Nice smooth bone bolsters, still locks open, still has a nice snap on closing. Is there anything better than a good ol' Russell Barlow?:

hVJM4wI.jpg

Love the old Russells! That one is a treasure! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks. It was a generous gift from someone who used to work there (otherwise, I would be bereft of the brand).
- Stuart

Beautiful covers and a wonderful gift! Like you, I only have one CSC knife, the Pinch Lockback I posted last week. Simply a shame that they couldn’t survive. :(

hVJM4wI.jpg

Nice! I enjoy seeing those old knives with honest wear, but still with some useful life left in them.

hVJM4wI.jpg

I agree, it's easier to find and ancient knife than an "Ancient." ;) Beautiful old Barlow!
I've posted these in the Old Knives thread, but I really like them. :)
Barehead ebonies 1_001.jpg Bone jacks _001.jpg

Here's a little insight. Mr. Frank did some very unique designs with the help of Solingen of course! But he was always thinking back and never forward, this is what makes his knives so beautiful!

Wow Mark! That FR shadow Serpentine Stag is in super fine shape!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Mr. Frank sure had a way with depicting those older times, with his knives!
I met him a couple times, at his shop in Lebanon, TN. before he died.

I grew up in Middle Tennessee in the 70s and as a young man, loved pocket knives, but only knew about the Case, Boker and Buck Knives sold in my Dad’s hardware store.
Pre-Internet, I had no knowledge of custom handmade slipjoints and had never heard of Frank Buster, Adrian Harris or Bob Conley, although they practiced their craft right underneath my nose.
If I could only go back to those days! Girls? Cars? Sports? I would have ignored all those things that consumed my teenage years and jumped in my old Chevy Malibu and headed off to Mule Days to check out some Colonel Coon knives! :):):)

Boy, you said a mouth full there, Ratbert!! Being originally from Texas, I hadn’t heard of FR or Colonel Coon either. But was quickly impressed by some older collectors on another forum that somewhat educated me on the two companies. I went to Mule Days a couple of times but by then Mr. Harris was no longer at the helm of CC. Quality was very different. I have owned many FRs over the last two decades but now only have three. All of them are “End Of Day” handles. A Peanut, Stockman and a swell centered Congress pattern. All have never shown any sign of gassing either. And yes, I do keep them away from my other knives!

Very nice shadow Buster, Mark! I just got a new Frank Buster myself, though not a shadow.

4Gg5b2f.jpg

WbTuVmH.jpg
Thanks, Jeff! Very unique gunstock there with some real nice Stag!

Wow Mark! That FR shadow Serpentine Stag is in super fine shape!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Mr. Frank sure had a way with depicting those older times, with his knives!
I met him a couple times, at his shop in Lebanon, TN. before he died.

I wondered if you would recognize that one, Perry!:cool: Thx again, my friend!:thumbsup:
What an honor to be able to meet the man himself!

Last edited:
Back