The Traveling Spyderco Delica. . .

New knife day!

Cam cracked this "lil" guy open.
6dkWXkd.jpg

This lil Native is going to replace my well-worn Leek as my office carry. How cool to get the compression lock on such a tiny knife.
d7FtGhg.jpg

Glamour shots!
7fzicyk.jpg

Also got this balisong trainer in this week. I ordered it from amazon for 3 or 4 bucks like 2 months ago.
The wife tells me I got a knife in the mail and I didn't remember ordering anything so I was curious to see what was in this chinese packaging.
The amazon description didn't say anything about it being a Benchmade replica so I a bit confused and excited to see the box. My wife knows I want a 940 and a mini crooked river, so I was a bit afraid she bought me a chinese clone. Anyways, it was just this cheap little trainer. Glad I got it, I would have stabbed my foot already if it had an edge haha.
asbLpbG.jpg

Lastly, I'm going to miss Cam's funky camo scales when it's time for him to move on.
I'm going to attempt to dye the scales on my endura to something similar.
KElVjkt.jpg

This looks like a mess. I think this is going to be a mess.
5yhO8NB.jpg

Going to Rit dye the scales this weekend.
7OrVoAv.jpg

...yeah, I'm probably going to regret this.

Til next time!

Last edited:
New knife day!

Lastly, I'm going to miss Cam's funky camo scales when it's time for him to move on.
I'm going to attempt to dye the scales on my endura to something similar.
KElVjkt.jpg

This looks like a mess. I think this is going to be a mess.
5yhO8NB.jpg

...yeah, I'm probably going to regret this.

Til next time!

Do it.... It grows on you.

It's been driving me nuts for a while now, but what kind of finish was on Cam's blade?

Pretty sure it's the regular satin finish with a lot of patina on it from salt water and other exposure. Toward the edge of the blade it almost looks laminated, but it's stamped VG-10 so I just assumed it wasn't. Meant to asking when I had it but forgot to.

uxo2, did you dye Cam's scales?

Well, here is the dye job.
Ovs1JVl.jpg

I think it came out pretty good for a first attempt. One liner is not fitting in the scale right. It's been a huge pain in the ass. I'm not sure if the heat can warp or shrink the frn. I'm going to try heating it up again and squeezing the liner back in place. Stripped a screw too. Live and learn.
1i0s6gA.jpg

I used navy blue rit dye and did a couple 30 second dips. It was starting to look purple so I stopped.

My wife will be happy I won't be having anymore dye/die puns now.
"Babe, do you want to help me dye?"
"I want to dye now. Don't try and stop me."
"I'm about to dye without you!"

Til next time!

Happy Independence Day everyone!

Cam and I enjoying some hazy IPA.
ktmn7sb.jpg

Whooo it's 10% abv.

Cam got a new friend(?) yesterday.
I hope he's not jealous.
dt92Nyf.jpg

Meet your replacement kid.
Gof2OgG.jpg

So Delicas are pretty "right-sized". I had to get one after this test drive.

Having the day off was nice. Got to modify this new guy a bit.
REqMNTO.jpg

nsfworM.jpg

I'm naming him Hombre.

For ombre, get it? haha
Shit.

With the scales done he's currently getting a forced patina.
mqvDoWU.jpg

1fkwSre.jpg

Til next time!
Cheers!

Last edited:
Well, Cam is packed up and off to his next host in VA.

I was a little busy this weekend after we adopted a new doggo. Cam will be leaving Monday morning.
0LF0yXV.jpg

He gave Cam a kiss for good luck.
zSoRau6.jpg

Don't worry StuntDouble, Cam was cleaned off with some disinfectant wipes.

Last week Cam took a trip to the mountains.

Here he is driving to Boulder.
XP7umX7.jpg

Taking a photo op break on the hike.
CwBI0hy.jpg

Just hanging around.
TZoQD3T.jpg

And now chillaxing.
PmZySyS.jpg

Heard a rattlesnake while taking this pic. Got the F out of there fast haha!

And here is Cam all packed up ready to go with a Colorado postcard.
wmjG4XD.jpg

Going to miss the little guy.

Looking forward to seeing where Cam goes next. So long from the land of the mothership!
Cheers spydie buds!

Today I opened up my mailbox to find a familiar red, white and blue box waiting for me. I took it inside, and lil Jack decided to give me a hand cutting through the layers upon layers of tape.

QrprNIk.jpg

H7s1Ql7.jpg

Jack helped me pry open the foam halves, finally freeing Cam.

RH1FywI.jpg

Here's Cam in all his well traveled glory. I gotta say, I'm digging the camo pattern on the handle. I also love how smooth the opening and closing action is. I don't know if that's from the amount of use this knife has seen, or from the lube job the last user gave him. Cam was also in need of a good workout to get his blade back in shape.

zjFlf9o.jpg

There was a bit of sniffing around once Cam was completely out. Jack had never seen another Delica with such a long tail before, and Cam had never seen a Delica set up for tip down carry. And such a dark blade too! How odd!

CMV9T4L.jpg

I popped Jack and Cam in my pocket, and ran out to get some sharpening supplies. I kept them in separate pockets just in case they didn't get along, but it seems like they're becoming fast friends.

o5EWZkh.jpg

EjjgTIQ.jpg

ZtyrWXx.jpg

Since I knew this was going to be a reprofiling job, I picked up some fresh sheets of wet dry sandpaper. As much as I like the Workshop Guided Benchstone, sometimes it works better as a stropping platform. Depending on how bad the edge is, I'll start with 180 to 320 grit and go up to 1500 grit. I'll usually use the Sharpmaker to knock off any burr, if there is one. For the serrations, I'll wrap sandpaper around a standard sized pen or pencil, and use that to strop the serrations.

vOPl0W2.jpg

It took me a while, but I was able to get a halfway decent edge. After all that work, I figured we could both use a break. So, I popped open a cold one, and Cam and I relaxed in the back yard for a bit, watching the sunset. We decided to call it a day at that point. Hopefully Cam gets plenty of rest tonight, cause tomorrow, he's going to work.

xv9M2zM.jpg

Cam didn't have a lot to do the past couple of days. I've been busy with work, but it hasn't required much cutting.

18kch2s.jpg

If there's one thing I love about where I work, it's the scenery. My facility is situated right on a creek, and we get some truly beautiful sunrises.

XwqFSsk.jpg

Cam was a little groggy from getting up so early, so he took a little siesta on one of our tanks.

yL2gTNF.jpg

Lunch couldn't come soon enough, and Cam was there to keep me company. I caught him trying to grab a bite of my chicken though, so he had to go back in the pocket.

FghGmB4.jpg

Later on that night, Cam helped out with dinner. Okay, so maybe he didn't chop up that onion, but Cam did slice open a pack or ground chicken for me. After that, we took it easy the rest of the night.

Tomorrow and Sunday look like they're going to be full of fun and adventure, so I'm hoping to get some shots of Cam out and about. Stay tuned!

ObkRPyn.jpg

I was always curious about the markings on Cam's blade, specifically the "Camera Dept". When I got the knife in hand, I saw another engraving on the reverse side.

6kZTOov.jpg

A quick Google search turned up a 2015 movie starring Sandra Bullock by the same name. Honestly, this raises even more questions. Was Cam part of a bunch of knives given out to a movie crew? Is that a common thing that happens? And are these Cams original clothes, or did he get a change of wardrobe at some point?

I've also been curious about what looked like a leftover coating on the blade. Upon closer examination, it appears that Cam may have taken an acid bath or two at some point. It even looks like it was strong enough to remove some metal just above the edge.

Regardless, it looks like Cam has led, and will continue to lead a rather interesting life.

Last edited:

I was always curious about the markings on Cam's blade, specifically the "Camera Dept".

A quick Google search turned up a 2015 movie starring Sandra Bullock by the same name.

Honestly, this raises even more questions. Was Cam part of a bunch of knives given out to a movie crew? Is that a common thing that happens? And are these Cams original clothes, or did he get a change of wardrobe at some point?

I've also been curious about what looked like a leftover coating on the blade. Upon closer examination, it appears that Cam may have taken an acid bath or two at some point. It even looks like it was strong enough to remove some metal just above the edge.

Regardless, it looks like Cam has led, and will continue to lead a rather interesting life.

StuntDouble StuntDouble
IIRC Cam was gifted to a Crew member of the movie set and he sold her on the FS section.
I bought her to be a Beater/Project knife. And she served me well.

Cam went through a Ferric Chloride acid dip and

RIT dye pattern like my cat.

1BrO1iSm.jpg

I never thought Cam would become a celebrity traveling the country.

Last edited:
Back