The Truth about Shaving according to me.

greater

Platinum Member
Ok it really hasn't been too long since I have stopped using garbage like the gillette mach series and things of the like but I have learned a few things since then.

First off when it comes to a quickie wet shave (any kind of blade and lather) there is none. A quickie wet shave generally sucks.

For quickies I find the electric razor to be king. It will do a good enough shave or barely good enough perhaps and that is what my amateur self would recommend based on my experience. Keep in mind that a slow shave with an electric is much better than a fast one. The good thing about electrics is although they may cause irritation you wont get cut if you do a quick shave.

I find a good quality safety razor (I prefer double) to be KING of close shaving. Compared to all my straights that I have so far tried from the best to mediocre I find the sharpness, closeness, and efficiency of a quality safety razor loaded with a quality blade to be very very very hard to beat. You need to learn to hold an angle with a safety razor or you will get a mild cut or nick but the learning curve is relatively quick and easy. Once you got the hang of it your are set for a very very long time. Reloads for safety razors and , even the more expensive high quality ones (I recommend feather) are fathoms, fathoms less expensive than using disposables in not too long run at all. Even with the initial investment of getting a good quality double ~ $35.00 (and probably much cheaper if you know what to check for when buying) to $200.00 and up will very soon pay off when you don't have to deal with the so called better disposable razors.

Vintage safety razors are also a great bang for the buck made at a time when they were in high demand and had to be quality to compete.

You want to save money and be a cheapskate, maybe you have to be, I am not judging you but I have to tell you if you still use disposable razors you are violating your principles of cheapness, polluting the environment with over priced disposable crappy plastic , and just plain getting ripped off. That is something no self respecting cheap skate wants marring his/her reputation so learn to hold in angle and you will not only uphold your principles, but you will do it with superior products with superior results which will be written all over your face.

The next best to me is the Straight Razor. They provide a high quality shave, you never have to change the blade and are known to last 100 years and more. The learning curve for a straight is slow, long and with it comes to requirement to learn stropping at the very least but ideally you should learn honing and minor rebelling as well. The initial investment can be relatively inexpensive if you know how to shop for your equipment with patience after studying what to look for otherwise it can be very expensive if you want to start with high quality brand new or almost new products.

Rushing or being careless with a safety razor can be a very dear mistake and if you have kids in the house you want make sure your safety razor is as secure as a firearm.

I found my shaves with a straight got better and better over time as my skill developed. I find some straights shave better than others regardless of price and quality.

After learning to shave proficiently with a straight my safety razor shaving became very easy and very smooth, with the closest shave possible because when using a straight you really learn how to hold a good angle.

I do not recommend a straight unless you are committed to going all the way and appreciate fine quality blades.

Now the bottom of the barrel pure crud in my opinion. If you are using disposable razors please do yourself a favor and get over the quick, generally safe learning curve of holding an angle with a safety razor and picking the best one for yourself.

If you are still using a disposable you are getting ripped off royally. Disposables are as idiot proof as possible but not really that idiot proof.

After learning to use a safety razor and retrying a supposably high quality disposable again (Mach 4) I found if you are not just as careful you will get nicks and irritation in short order. Disposables pull hair and get clogged up real quick. You get the least amount of shaves because they are garbage designed to crap out after a couple of shaves so you can run back to the store and pay tens of dollars for their garbage reloads. Disposables plain suck coming from someone who used to use them frequently before learning the basics of real shaving.

Don't take my word for it. Professional barbers always either use safety razors or disposable straight razors (modern health dept guidelines make it difficult for barbers to use standard reusable straight razors.) not crap wall mart disposables because safely razors and straights give the best shaves.

Chuck the canned shaving cream too because you will save a ton of money using a good quality shaving soap or cream and using a brush makes shaving more fun.

Agree , I use safety razors but just dizcovered modern single edge razors like the mongoose . I like them better than the safety razors just because the blade doesn't flex on me .

I started out shaving many years ago with a double edge razor. When injector razors came out, I jumped on that bandwagon, then on to the cartridge systems like Mach1. I tried several of them, but I never really liked the cartridge razors. They were just a fast & convenient way to shave. Then one day, when buying blades, I realized that the price for a pack of those things was beyond ridiculous.

So I got online, got a good Merkur razor, Feather blades, brush & shave cream. That's been about 12-15 years ago. Unlike some, I don't look on shaving as some zen or existential experience. I just do it to scrape hair off my face. The DE, or if you prefer, the straight razor are still the best & least expensive way to get it done.

Unlike some, I don't look on shaving as some zen or existential experience. I just do it to scrape hair off my face. The DE, or if you prefer, the straight razor are still the best & least expensive way to get it done.

ummmmmmm, Hummmmmmmmmm, cling clang, cling clang ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh immmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I also have a wide variety of different incense that I burn.

Oh yes a very very existential experience it is for me when I shave. The zen of becoming one with your shaving. That is a great idea Ironbut it is very much like a state of meditation so very relaxing, much more so then merely scraping hair for less money.

Why rob oneself of the existential experience of the zen of shaving to do so would just plain be not fun.

Last edited:
I hope you didn't take that the wrong way, greater. I wasn't making fun or anything. For many, shaving, hair care, etc are very important & I have no problem with that. It's just that I've been shaving for well over fifty years & if I had my druthers, I'd rather be doing something else.

Last edited:
I hope you didn't take that the wrong way, greater. I wasn't making fun or anything. For many, shaving, hair care, etc are very important & I have no problem with that. It's just that I've been shaving for well over fifty years & if I had my druthers, I'd rather be doing something else.

Oh no I didn't take it the wrong way and it's true really it is I have a large variety of incense most of which my family and coworkers hate and some they don't seem to mind depending on the person. I wonder if I should just mail some out for free because I don't want them to go stale. Most burn long and have lots of scent (good stuff.)

I almost went totally way overboard on shaving soap but have managed to put the brakes on it at a little overboard. I sure wish they would sell multipacks loaded with small samples of different shaving soaps and creams. I think shave shops should take on doing this themselves by mixing samples across different brands.

I find the zen of shaving to be important especially as a beginner who has barely learned how to properly shave with a straight as well as avoiding knicks and irritation with close shaving safety razors.

Although your many years of shaving has made shaving somewhat of an unremarkable routine you are very familiar with I can safely guess your zen of shaving was very well developed many years ago whether you want to give it credit or not.

I have a great idea maybe you can try burning some indian incense (or other) while you shave if you have not tried it yet. I have not, in fact, I am going to try to remember to do that during my next shave.

I am very lucky as I can shave with anything called a Razor & I only shave when I can see that it bothers me which usually calls for a shave about once a week to two weeks.!* Yeah I know I really have it rough but someone has to do it.* lol I can even enjoy a fast dry shave & keep on going with out it really bothering me & I buy about a can of shaving cream about once a year or so ~~ so I guess you could say I have it rough compared to most men & there shaving habits.! My blades usually last me about a year or so before I have to change them & the ole Mach really appreciates a new blade even though it doe's not know that it is really shaving.!** LOL All I have to really say is keep em sharp & just be happy that you can shave & that you are still above ground.! Enough said.*

Okay I just tried it today I didn't burn my incense while I was shaving but I settled on scenting most of the house and bathroom first. Incense used was Tibetan holy land incense a special somewhat not frequently available treat to the nose.

I used my Edwin Jagger with my very used feather blade with the grain and sideways on the cheek, with the grain and against the grain on my neck. Only 1 little weeper and a great shave.

Nice experience but maybe a little stronger scent (burn it for longer in bathroom) is in order to overcome bathroom humidity (a smoke killer) and make it more memorable.

Chuck the canned shaving cream too because you will save a ton of money using a good quality shaving soap or cream and using a brush makes shaving more fun.

I have tried shave soaps with a badger hair brush, and shave creams that you add water to lather, but neither of them work better for me than shave foam. Only one specific brand of shave foam though. Other gels and foams don't protect as well, for me. My face gets cut up or razor burned from shaving soaps. Shaving foam is easier to clean from my razor, too. One other thing I don't recommend are any gels/creams/etc. that "cool" your face with menthol. It is easy to shave too hard, because the menthol acts like a numbing agent. You don't realize until it wears off that you were pressing too hard, and then you start feeling the razor burn.

I wonder if it is a combination of your skin, razor, shave technique, and choice of lathering agent that hits each individual's perfect combo?

Oh yeah. If you have a heavy beard, you may want to try the Safety Razors with the comb edges. For example, my beard hair is heavy enough that the electric razor slows down when trying to cut it. The straight butterfly Safety Razor cuts too closely for my beard type, and makes it easy to get razor burn or nick myself. The comb style seems not to stretch the skin as severely near the blade.

Don't forget the styptic pencil, just in case.

Rockwell makes a screw apart double safety razor made here in the US that is all stainless steel very simple and has 6 different levels of adjustment via different plates but not a comb. Thats about $99.00.

I am a fan of the simple but durable, fully maintainable, and easy to fully clean spotless screw apart safety razor as opposed to the opening double doors.

I have a Rockwell unused that it is destined to be a gift but then again I don't know if the person I am giving it to will actually use it in which case I want it. If I do give it away I am getting another one and I can't wait to try it. I really don't need it even if it turns out to be the best shaver I ever used which may be a good possibility due to the different choices of blade placement and it's good reviews.

This brings me back to another problem my falsely advertised to give the fake impression that it is all plated brass when in fact the only the handle is while the head is made of plated pot metal that can crack easily if you drop on something hard (porcelain sink) Edwin Jagger screw apart non adjustable double safety razor that I got for about $65.00 when loaded with feather blades gives a great shave and is probably all I ever need.

Now to be fair pot metal (probably zamak) despite it not being as malleable as brass or as strong as steel is nevertheless quite durable. It also lends itself well to precision casting better than other metals allowing lower costs to be passed on to the consumer. Precision in a safety razor head is of prime importance especially a double and my Edwin Jagger I have to admit has very good tight tolerances.

In all honesty the use of pot metal is more of an issue of common sense than penny pinching. It really does make sense to use pot metal from both a business and quality stand point. I have to admit it's a practical decision.

Edwin Jaggers chrome plating is top quality (flawless mirror polish) and as far as I know defects in their plating are not common. There is no penny pinching involved here. This is good because zamak and most pot metals do not hold up well against deterioration especially when exposed to water all the time if they don't have a good plating. It is needed and they provide it.

I think my Edwin Jagger is well worth the money I paid, it also supports workers making a top quality product with decent wages and if I take care my Edwin Jagger safety razor it can probably outlast me.

My Edwin Jagger gives me the smoothest, closest shave out of all my implements both electric and straight razors when loaded with a quality blade like feathers. It is because of this I am reluctant to give another safety razor a try. This is primarily what has been of great assistance in helping me refrain from tearing my neighbors gift (Rockwell adjustable) open and giving it a trial run.

People such as myself are phobic of pot metal and I probably would have never brought an EJ if I knew it, but I am glad I did buy it because I would have deprived myself of one fine shaver for the money if I didn't.

Now should I try the Rockwell or just leave more than well enough alone. My curiosity is just nagging me though. I have to admit my EJ looks a lot better with the flawless chrome than the Rockwell but Rockwell is heavy, beefy, with a kind of grayish finish kind of a work of art in it's own opposite way. I have an idea I will use both if the Rockwell matches but I will have to wait a week before I can order another one.

And I will still come on top price wise compared to those poor lost souls using those horrible plastic disposables.

Last edited:
Personally I get the best, smoothest, closest shaves from my straight razors. Safety razors are second place in my lineup. One thing I quite like about straights also is nothing gets thrown away. No consumables means no waste. Not a huge deal for me, but it's kind of nice not to be adding yet another item to the landfill.

I'll add my 2 cents here. I apologize in advance if it ruffles feathers.

1. Everyone's beard is different. What works best for me probably won't work best for you.

Straights are great, if you have the time and the patience. Forget the "honemeisters", it's easy to get an edge that is just as good or better than theirs, experiment with what works for you. Don't accept anything as "gospel", experiment and use what works.

Safety razors are my shave of choice, but mainly because of the price. If you buy in bulk, you can get blades around 5 - 10 cents each. That's unbeatable, and I can usually get 5 - 7 shaves out of a blade. I really haven't seen much difference in brands, except that the higher priced ones have better quality control.

The Gillette Mach 3 is **by far** the best. See paragraph number 1. The price is so ridiculous, I only use it when I'm traveling. But I can splash cold water on my face, shave with it, and still get a better shave than with any other razor with good preps/soaps/gels, etc. It reigns supreme.

Lubrication matters. If I'm using a cheap cream or soap, I'll mix it with a few drops of shaving oil.

As always, YMMV.

I was on the double edge classic Gillette Fatboy bandwagon about 10 years ago and fought it the whole way trying to convince myself it was the shiz..... even when I wasn't getting that great a shave. I dumped the safety razor and tried various disposables with about the same sucess.

Fast forward... and in the last month I bought a Merkur 34c for kicks and am getting much better shaves. What changed? First I think the 34c is better equipment, the Fatboy (the razor, not me) may need a tuneup, second I watched some videos on shave prep that helped.

Do I get a better shave with the DE than if I went through the same prep with a disposable? I don't think so.. but it's cheaper. And as a bonus, I have DE blades on hand in case I go Pink Floyd The Wall and shave off my eyebrows.

merry xmas

More than 40 years ago I started shaving with a DE, then moved on to cartridge, disposables etc.

Thing was, I was never really that good at shaving with a DE, too many cuts. Using canned foam/gel and cartridges became very costly and wasteful, albeit less bloody. A poorer shave undoudtedly though.

In my defence, I've never had a beard I abhor them.. but I was lazy at shaving, or rather, too rushed.

Dozen years or so ago, I returned to the DE fold. Bought a couple of razors, some brushes and tried out various soap or creams. what I like: Col.Conk Amber, Mon Savon, Proraso, Cella Almond (SOAPS) Taylor of Old Bond St. (CREAMS)

The OP is correct, a quick shave is a rubbish shave more often than not. Getting it right, getting it so close and no irritation is an immensely satisfying act, you feel so good and ready! Getting the lather right, getting the correct pressure and angle leads to the greatest of shaves, it's a job well done and rewarding. Feather and an agressive DE razor certainly shaves down close with no bumps or promotion of ingrowing bristles unlike a Max 3 Money or similar cartridges . Plus a Feather lasts longer and costs a fraction .

Everybody finds their own right method, as the Master says, be a lamp unto yourself...;):D

For me, I can get almost as good of a shave with a mach 3 blade. If I take my time I can make a good shave with a DE last two days. Mach 3, definitely not. But the Mach 3 I can use in a hurry without worrying about cutting myself. Normally I use a DE with cremo just because I don't need to whip up a lather with it and rinse the brush out and all that. It's a decent compromise between quality and speed. When I have time I break out the brush and soap. When I don't have any time I break out the Mach 3. The rest of the time is a quick job with the DE.

When I first started with brushes and safety razors I made it almost a ritual. Took my time, listened to the radio, etc. Now that I'm familiar with what I'm doing with the safety razors its just a chore to be done, exactly like it was back in the Mach 3 days. Nothing particularly enjoyable about it. It's just trying to find the best way to clean my face up without spending an arm and a leg.

Dont forget to finish with a cold washcloth soaked in ice water.

Zieg

Some pretty good posts here in this thread.

I enjoy a close comfortable long lasting shave and get those with an aggressive DE/SE or straight razor. Nothing improves your shaving with a DE/SE like getting proficient with a straight razor. It drives home the idea of no pressure, the right angle and just how important a good lather is. If you are cutting yourself with any shaving device the problem is likely with the operator as in poor shaving technique, bad lathering technique, rushing the whole process or a combination of those. When I say lather I don't mean from a can.

Yes, people are different and you do have to find by experimenting what works for you.

Bob

Considering getting an Edwin Jagger Kelvin or a Prospector from the Handlebar Shave guys to try my hand at a DE Safety Razor. EJ quality and reputation is solid, but like the handle on the Prospector model. Thoughts?

Also, Any input or thoughts on the type of brush (silvertip badger -vs- regular badger hair), good soaps, shave oils, after shave balm and accesories?

Back