The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

afishhunter afishhunter not even if it were like this one?....
20200115-095206.jpg
did i read somewhere they are pumping out #23 trappers this year? this thing is as big as a folder gets.
Cheers....good points you made.
I love gec but it certainly would be nice to get something different...sadly the reality is very limited...there seems to be only 2 manufacturers (gec & buck) who can/willing to take the job.
At this stage Im wondering ..Why if all these manufacturers are just about to go under ...are they not clamouring like hounds for our business?...
There is a small detail that I think is worth a mention...
IF someone steps forward to manage the project...fingers crossed they do.....that will have a direct influence or limitation on who makes our knife....
The Rest Is Easy!:confused:;):D:thumbsup:
That is a very nice trapper. :)
It is far beyond what I can afford though. Even if I were to set aside a full half of what I have after paying rent, it would probably take at least 4 or 5 months before I had the funds. No doubt it will be sold out long before then.
(I'm guessing the price is/will be closer to $200-250 than to $100. After rent I have around $50 a month.)

I’ve seen plenty of mention for knives other than a GEC in this thread. No need to get bummed out, read the title again. “Same old Same old” is your broken record of comments against GEC knives lol.

Fair enough..;) I will quietly retire to the corner and watch..:D
John

It is far beyond what I can afford though. Even if I were to set aside a full half of what I have after paying rent, it would probably take at least 4 or 5 months before I had the funds. No doubt it will be sold out long before then.
(I'm guessing the price is/will be closer to $200-250 than to $100. After rent I have around $50 a month.)

If it's any consolation, those early 23 models had a terrific line in thumb nail extraction:D:eek: Doesn't bother me as my nails are tough, lately, GEC pulls have been getting a lot lighter, too light according to some old connoisseurs of the bear-trap:D What sort of GEC would you contemplate, given the right funds?

Thanks, Will

What sort of GEC would you contemplate, given the right funds?
The ones that I really liked on their website were what they call/called "Whalers". I do not remember the pattern number.
I like that pattern. What can I say?
I even carry the two (large) Rough Rider sunfish I have on occasion. (I have the "Smooth Tobacco Bone" equal end, and and the "Zombie Nick" sleeveboard variations.)

I don't know.
I don't have a clue what the 2019 Forum knife sold for.
I think the Buck was $71 plus shipping, if memory serves.

Thank you, that seems like a great value. I thought there was some talk about it going over the $100 self imposed price limit. I must be remembering wrong... I think the 2019 knife was around $90 ish

I don't know how the Northwoods SFO works in terms of their dealings with GEC but from a logistics viewpoint, it seems that it might be a bit complicated. Would those of us here at the forum have a say in what pattern (as well as cover options and blade configuration) gets selected? Also, it might be worth pointing out that if there are folks here who fear a GEC SFO getting flipped, a Northwoods will be just as bad, if not worse, in that regard.

It also doesn't placate those that do not want a GEC - in fact, it might inflame them even more against the idea overall.

I am personally not opposed to the idea, I am mostly just playing some semblance of a devil's advocate.

I have no clue. I can guess that it would be similar to the GEC process in that (totally guessing) we wouldn't be able to pick a frame, we might have the option of one of two frames (depending on how early we decide), likely have a poll for wood or synthetic, likely have a poll for blade shape, poll for blade finish, poll for tube or slip. For some on Bladeforums, not all, KSF has played a role in our hobby. I think it would be great for KSF and forum members if it panned out. You can't make everyone happy. We just need to hear from people if they are interested enough to carry the possibility over to the official thread. If there's not enough interest then it doesn't matter.

Just wanted add, KSF is a blade forums dealer. It would seem to make sense to lean a bit that direction vs someone we never interact with. In my online world I feel a little bad for Collectorknives and Gunstock Jack every year. It's awesome they do so much and they support the forum, but seems to me the regular crew needs a break. Heck, I imagine Mike still has fresh adhesive on his fingers from shipping lol

Last edited:
I have no clue. I can guess that it would be similar to the GEC process in that (totally guessing) we wouldn't be able to pick a frame, we might have the option of one of two frames (depending on how early we decide), likely have a poll for wood or synthetic, likely have a poll for blade shape, poll for blade finish, poll for tube or slip. For some on Bladeforums, not all, KSF has played a role in our hobby. I think it would be great for KSF and forum members if it panned out. You can't make everyone happy. We just need to hear from people if they are interested enough to carry the possibility over to the official thread. If there's not enough interest then it doesn't matter.

I would certainly be interested in what they could offer us. If it was at all possible, I would prefer it to be something separate from one of their planned runs (i.e. different blade and/or cover options exclusive to our requests).

Some people seem to have questioned Buck's ability in making the 2018 Forum Knife. You will find that every year (barring the last GEC 86) there have been people who were not satisfied with the quality of a few knives. Moreover there will be many who did not really connect with the knife and wanted to sell or trade it, happens with all knives and is very usual. I'd just like to stay that @skblades went out of his way in conducting complex polls, he lobbied Buck to have the Forum Knife flat ground rather than their usual Sabre and succeeded. Above all else he remained very calm and good humoured, despite some provocations. When there were knives that had disappointed people he encouraged them to be sent back for fixing. We got an all stainless construction, unique pattern as 2 blade Stockman in very impressive 154 steel and American Elk slabs. I sometimes wonder that some of the griping about the knife was due to it being in stainless;) notoriously difficult to get some people to 'accept'. Also, there was a kind of vibe coming from some quarters that this was not 'our' knife, had been 'hijacked' by people 'we' didn't recognize, Buck Forum, but fortunately this narrow, parochial view was not at all typical. Mine took a while to get to me as I live in Europe, it was Christmas -New Year after all. Obviously I had to pay extra postal costs and 25% import-tax(the norm) but this did not detract. The knife has v.good W&T, audible snap, no play at all and sharpens excellently and stays that way. It has some very small gaps in the backspring but I've certainly seen far worse in knives costing much more than the 71 USD for domestic use, I think it's a real bargain and a knife I'm very fond of using and carrying.

OK it's only my experience, my view, but I think Buck provided an excellent and worthy knife. I'd have no hesitation in buying another of their offerings-provided I like it;):D

Thanks, Will

nBC29cb.jpg

Thank you, that seems like a great value. I thought there was some talk about it going over the $100 self imposed price limit. I must be remembering wrong... I think the 2019 knife was around $90 ish

Those figures seem right, they may not include shipping. For anybody musing about a special KSF Northwoods as a Forum Knife, they won't be anywhere near those prices (pre flip I mean :D) and since the knives are made by GEC anyway, there'd be production timetables, plus KSF used to charge a mint for overseas shipping...

View attachment 1266081

I was so happy to see you weigh in on this topic @geek !!! A Northwoods Forum Knife would be off the charts. Many members of the Porch family have not been able to get one, and many have given up even trying. It would be wonderful to have a unique Northwoods guaranteed for all qualified Blade Forum members without having to go through all the hassle. It would also be a fitting tribute to Derrick Bohn.

The KSF infrastructure would make the logistics very easy. It would take the pressure off of Mike, Barry, Charlie, and the others for at least one year. It would also make Gary and Frank’s lives quite a bit easier. Finally, it might also lessen the negativity. The fantastic job that Mike Latham @knifeswapper did for us this year, and @skblades did last year, shows how advantageous it is for a dealer to take on the task.

I have often thought that KSF is a logical candidate to do the Forum Knife. Goodness knows that Blade Forums Porch members have been rock solid and loyal customers of GEC and KSF.

I know now is not the time or place, but, when that moment arrives, I sure hope that you step into the lurch @geek . Thanks for at least giving us hope. I have only managed to acquire two Northwoods knives, but they are top notch, very unique, and would make for an excellent Forum Knife.

gaj999 gaj999 , I understand your point, but don’t forget that we would have input on some of the details through polling. How much input is impossible to say at this point however.

Last edited:
Your guess is quite a ways off.:rolleyes:
The 2019 BF knife was $92. Not far from the $71 Buck. Maybe they are not as far out of reach as you want to think.

Just wanted add, KSF is a blade forums dealer. It would seem to make sense to lean a bit that direction vs someone we never interact with. In my online world I feel a little bad for Collectorknives and Gunstock Jack every year. It's awesome they do so much and they support the forum, but seems to me the regular crew needs a break. Heck, I imagine Mike still has fresh adhesive on his fingers lol
According to the supporting dealer list, KSF is not a supporting dealer.

I'd also like to see a northwoods forum knife. They're already such an incredible pain to get one on REGULAR drops because of cartjacking. As a collector, its annoying as heck. It'd be nice to get a forum knife.

I'll cast probably the lone vote of dissent. Recent NW runs have left me cold. They've put out some nice knives in the past with full flat grinds, but recently all I've seen are saber-ground single-bladed stuff with advertising stamped into the blade. I wouldn't buy one if they were widely in stock and cost the same as a regular GEC.

I know that my 2018 Buck knife is just wonderfully made. I don't know about others' knives, but mine (bought from a generous member who had an extra one he was willing to let go) couldn't be much better. I would be happy if Buck was chosen again...

Back