The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

I wonder if it's possible to special order a forum knife through Mike @knifeswapper .
I'm thinking one of the Lionsteel Barlows or Viper Swaybacks but with pinned construction.
Don't even know if they are able to do that or not, but that would be special and unique.
Don't feel obligated to answer, Mike. I was just thinking out loud. ;)

Last edited:
I wonder if it's possible to special order a forum knife through Mike @knifeswapper .
I'm thinking one of the Lionsteel Barlows or Viper Swaybacks but with pinned construction.
Don't even know if they are able to do that or not, but that would be special and unique.

How about with slotted screw heads? I've been eyeing the Warhorse. That would push me over the edge ...

Don't feel obligated to answer, Mike. I was just thinking out loud. ;)

This is honestly why I mentioned the Maserin Plow earlier. Pinned construction, slip joint, variety of current handle options and alreay at a starting price that should make the $100 limit obtainable. Might be too big but thought it was worth a look. Even though it's D2, that's a pretty resilient steel so I personally would overlook my strong stainless bias.

https://www.collectorknives.net/product-category/maserin-cutlery/maserin-plow/

EDIT: John pointed out the knife is actually screwed together, not pinned.

Last edited:
This is honestly why I mentioned the Maserin Plow earlier. Pinned construction, slip joint, variety of current handle options and alreay at a starting price that should make the $100 limit obtainable. Might be too big but thought it was worth a look. Even though it's D2, that's a pretty resilient steel so I personally would overlook my strong stainless bias.

https://www.collectorknives.net/product-category/maserin-cutlery/maserin-plow/
I have a Maserin Plow. It's certainly a solid knife and I like D2 steel.
If they'd step up the Fit n Finish and use pinned construction, I'd be good with one of those.

Ah, I see they are screws now. I thought they were pins in the picture. Had to get my glasses and give a closer look. :)

All my "traditional" knives have pinned construction, not saying good-bad-or other, that's just the way I prefer them.

Screwed-together construction is rare. Very rare. But it did exist long before our self imposed cut off date. How the knife is held together matters less to me than the quality with which it is put together. I don't spend much time looking at them, though. Mine are all users and I get my pleasure from using a well-designed tool of high quality. I skipped last years forum knife over the design. I passed on the Buck forum camp/survival knife because they chose d2, possibly the least suitable steel you could find for that purpose, even though I liked the design.

maybe not 2020, but sometime soon, $100 isn’t going to buy much...... probably will need to bump limit to 125 or 150.

A two blade folder with one stainless and one carbon blade would be really fun and useful.

A mini trapper with a stainless clip and carbon spey? And desert ironwood.

I agree with you completely on the need for a price increase. I believe most are ready and willing to pay an extra $25-$50 to get a great BladeForums knife. I know I sure am. ✌

Yeah, just like “everyone” is going to be ready to pay 70+% income tax... YOU believe...

Everyone could just buy a custom... for only like $250 more! Lol just kidding

??? Where did that come from?
He believes that most are ready and willing to pay more... take quick poll then we’ll know for sure. Recently, certain people in the news say that Americans are willing to pay outrageous tax rates too! They have no data to go on. I quit after the 2013 BFKnife sold for for $140. Great knife And good value, but the price fell well outside the $100 price limit that year.

He believes that most are ready and willing to pay more... take quick poll then we’ll know for sure. Recently, certain people in the news say that Americans are willing to pay outrageous tax rates too! They have no data to go on. I quit after the 2013 BFKnife sold for for $140. Great knife And good value, but the price fell well outside the $100 price limit that year.
Oh.
While I agree with your assessment about a confiscatory tax rate, I don't think a "cost of living" increase in the BF knife price limit is in the same category.

But, I'm certain the organizers of the 2020 BF knife will take all that into consideration. Increasing the limit to $125 or so wouldn't bother me at all. Going to $150 might be a stretch, but, whatever the cost of participation, I'll still try to do it.

I would be happy to see the dealer/distributor of a forum knife receive compensation for their efforts, but that has to be agreed to by the owner of Bladeforums, who has in the past ruled that the forum knife must be non-profit.

Every year, there is some discussion of a small fixed blade (a leather stacked bird & trout would be cool) but just like with certain locking knives, some members live in places with restrictions on carrying such knives. We have always decided it is important that our international membership be able to participate and enjoy the knife.

It is fun to discuss what we want in an unofficial non binding possibility discussion so I'll say this:
Last year we got a large, single blade knife. Just for the contrast I propose a small knife like a Peanut with a secondary blade. If that secondary blade is a punch/awl, all the better.
Vote PunchNut for 2020!!!

@r8shell, my how you’ve grown, I mean knife wise. I remember when you first joined, so full of questions and excitement about learning everything you could about knives, becoming a fixture and respected member, especially in the traditional forums. :) I’ve enjoyed/enjoy everything you bring to the community.

As for the 2020 noncommittal unofficial forum knife? I’ve been here a long time and have gone through every year’s vetting process to get to the final outcome. I’ve been pushing for a fixed blade Bird & Trout but you no avail. We came close one year but the fixed blade contingent was beat by a generous margin anyway.

I’m gonna have R8shell be my proxy vote for this years knife. Whatever she votes just echo with my vote, (except on the sparkly covers, unless they’re done in that Xmas tree glitter that Case uses on their Xmas knives).

As for my advice goin’ forward in pickin’ a knife, even takin’ into consideration that this is an official unofficial, noncommittal thread about the possibility of what we’d like on, as or part of a nonsanctioned officially unofficial knife for 2020.

If you want the knife you want to be chosen as this years nonknife pattern, be flexible and learn to read the crowd. The better you read the community and what their trends are, (good luck with that ;) ) the more aligned with the actual group want you get, the more likely you’ll be to get exactly what you want.

See for me, I love all the forum knives, that’s why I have the whole set. Unfortunately I’m a user and couldn’t afford a full set of mint in tube/box forum knives and users so all my forum knives show varying degrees of use and pocket wear.

Just on the off chance a fixed blade gets seriously considered, B&T with stacked leather with smooth bone and micarta spacers.

Here’s a quick pic of the whole collection. It may help to decide what should be next. At least you’ll have an idea of what’s been done in the past 14 years. (That’s right, 14 years of forum knives not including the “Uncle Henry’s Lost Souls” Schrade we had made in 2005, a year after Schrade went bankrupt.)

8sKxto8h.jpg

If your interested I started a “History of the Traditional Forum’s knives 2006-2019” just click the previous highlighted text to read some interesting history on the forum knife. Pic heavy with lots of links. (Keep in mind this is a work in progress so bear with me. :) )

Last edited:
Oh.
While I agree with your assessment about a confiscatory tax rate, I don't think a "cost of living" increase in the BF knife price limit is in the same category.

But, I'm certain the organizers of the 2020 BF knife will take all that into consideration. Increasing the limit to $125 or so wouldn't bother me at all. Going to $150 might be a stretch, but, whatever the cost of participation, I'll still try to do it.

I have issue with your statement that most would support it. I doubt it. Poll it. Why waste time. Get it settled now. Never mind. I don’t have any intention of buying anyway. (Now that I think about it... Why am I here wasting time :confused:)

I have issue with your statement that most would support it. I doubt it. Poll it. Why waste time. Get it settled now. Never mind. I don’t have any intention of buying anyway. (Now that I think about it... Why am I here wasting time :confused:)
It's not really our place to do a poll on this... that's why I said that I was sure that whoever organizes the 2020 knife would take care of all of that... This is strictly an un-official, non-binding mental exercise thread. And, your last sentence says a lot...no offense intended, of course.

Back