The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

punch farmer/ punch pruner?
Farmer puncher? :eek: uh... better go with prune puncher:p either way it seems a punch/awl is gaining in popularity no matter the pattern :D:thumbsup:
I myself see it as more useful in my day to day carry on a scout than a can opener. Thats why in my fantasy scout I substituted a pen blade for the can opener. And they're all blade types in GEC production, however I don't know how they would all work out on a 35 frame. I mean how much modifications would be needed to make it work.

Guilty as charged.
PDrb4hT.jpg

2 blade Esquire with the blades at the same end. Clip and spear, both the same length, nail nicks on opposite sides, chocolate jigged bone scales.

Here's hoping for more than one blade. Even a caplifter would work for me. And it would be nice this year if we could pick more than just covers and trim ... that top down approach last year was kinda off-putting. Unless, of course, it's something I really want that too many would vote against if they had a chance. :D Going through the full process makes the knife more meaningful in the end.

Here's hoping for more than one blade. Even a caplifter would work for me. And it would be nice this year if we could pick more than just covers and trim ... that top down approach last year was kinda off-putting. Unless, of course, it's something I really want that too many would vote against if they had a chance. :D Going through the full process makes the knife more meaningful in the end.

Maybe, but you got a special knife at a bargain price remember?;)

Any knife that GEC makes as a Forum Knife will have to be part of their production schedule, they cannot now produce an entirely new pattern and only offer it to the Forum and keep it 90-125 USD. The good news is that there are bound to be re-runs of interesting patterns (LIKE WHITE OWL SPEAR;)) which will give a fine basis for something decent and special.

Some people have expressed concerns that the Forum Knife has come to generate rude behaviours or boorish attitudes. Don't actually agree, disagreement, debate, controversy are healthy and I think these disagreements have always been conducted with politeness AS THEY SHOULD be. What could be changed is the manner of any polls. A kind of puerile aspect creeps in ;) I wanna be on the winning side!! Changing my vote 3 times....Polls should be run so that you must think carefully about what you want NOT what you think is going to 'win' and no changing your mind;) makes for a faster more rapid result, and less bickering :D

If it's not SPEAR this year (never had a single blade Spear) then I'd like a Hawkbill, Pruner :cool:

A small one could be used as a minor blade too.:thumbsup:

Actually, no, I took a pass. I prefer multi-blade knives, dislike thick blades, and detest saber grinds. About the only thing that could have put that knife lower on my want list is some sort of stamping or etching on the blade. I'm willing to compromise a bit for a forum knife, but that was just too much.

Any knife that GEC makes as a Forum Knife will have to be part of their production schedule, they cannot now produce an entirely new pattern and only offer it to the Forum and keep it 90-125 USD. The good news is that there are bound to be re-runs of interesting patterns (LIKE WHITE OWL SPEAR;)) which will give a fine basis for something decent and special.

True. I'm hoping we can get off the dime in time to piggyback on the run of 23s ...

Some people have expressed concerns that the Forum Knife has come to generate rude behaviours or boorish attitudes. Don't actually agree, disagreement, debate, controversy are healthy and I think these disagreements have always been conducted with politeness AS THEY SHOULD be. What could be changed is the manner of any polls. A kind of puerile aspect creeps in ;) I wanna be on the winning side!! Changing my vote 3 times....Polls should be run so that you must think carefully about what you want NOT what you think is going to 'win' and no changing your mind;) makes for a faster more rapid result, and less bickering :D

I agree. But I tend to assume that many of the posts are hyperbole, made mostly in competitive fun. The problem with winner-take-all systems is that you often end up voting for something you don't like. When you see that your first choice is going to be an also ran, you preemptively vote for your second choice so that your vote counts against the candidate(s) that you hate. Lord knows that's true in our political system. A system that would allow everyone to vote their true preference is called a Single Transferable Vote. Everyone ranks candidates in order of preference. If no candidate gets more than 50% of the votes, the candidate with the fewest number of votes is eliminated, eliminated ballots automatically cast a vote for their next highest remaining choice, and you count again. This continues until one candidate gets more than 50% of the vote, at which point you declare a winner. Easy to do in the age of computers. Not so much 250 years ago. So you could vote your heart, say for Nader or Perot, and still have your preference for Bush over Clinton or Gore over Bush counted in the end. Much more fair.

How about setting it up so that posters can’t change their votes and nobody can see running poll results until after the poll is closed?

Actually, no, I took a pass. I prefer multi-blade knives, dislike thick blades, and detest saber grinds. About the only thing that could have put that knife lower on my want list is some sort of stamping or etching on the blade. I'm willing to compromise a bit for a forum knife, but that was just too much.

True. I'm hoping we can get off the dime in time to piggyback on the run of 23s ...

I agree. But I tend to assume that many of the posts are hyperbole, made mostly in competitive fun. The problem with winner-take-all systems is that you often end up voting for something you don't like. When you see that your first choice is going to be an also ran, you preemptively vote for your second choice so that your vote counts against the candidate(s) that you hate. Lord knows that's true in our political system. A system that would allow everyone to vote their true preference is called a Single Transferable Vote. Everyone ranks candidates in order of preference. If no candidate gets more than 50% of the votes, the candidate with the fewest number of votes is eliminated, eliminated ballots automatically cast a vote for their next highest remaining choice, and you count again. This continues until one candidate gets more than 50% of the vote, at which point you declare a winner. Easy to do in the age of computers. Not so much 250 years ago. So you could vote your heart, say for Nader or Perot, and still have your preference for Bush over Clinton or Gore over Bush counted in the end. Much more fair.

Certainly go along with what you say, could take time though but who cares?

As for the previous knife, I wasn't on either, Sabre's OK on Sabres but not so much on pocket-knives ;) It's why I was so pleased it was possible to get Buck to drop Sabre ground for the Forum 2018 knife, very acute slicer I find:cool:

I'd like a Sleeveboard with tip-bolsters:cool: But that's about as likely as the Pope changing religion;)

I think being able to change your vote until the end, and seeing all vote totals as they accrue is very important to realizing the “will of the people” in a forum knife endeavor.

however, if you people would just agree to do a red Culpepper jigged bone handle mini trapper with one stainless clip blade and one carbon spey blade it would solve a lot of issues.........

Will of the People?? Will O' the Whisp more like;) If it's got to be Stainless the it MUST be Saddlehorn Spear single:D:D

Always thought CASE's Saddlehorn, which is a nice unusual knife, could benefit from having it as a single Spear, or Drop-Point:thumbsup:

Talking Drop-Point, the 73 frame could get an outing this year, why not Horsecut Bone and Rat-Tail? That would be a sleek Forum Knife:cool:

Back