The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

The northwoods suggestion is kind of strange as they’re just GECs with more unique handles with a different brand name stamped on them. The 2019 knife was a saber grind which already has a northwoods feel to it. I’m sure any knife produced by GEC could have a similar feel.

Despite my need for a whaler, I think a pruner would be awesome. Not something you really see everyday. And if it’s going to be a custom, im much more in favor of more “exotic” handles. I just think Acrylic, delrin, and micarta are just too common.

Same brand, different look. Northwoods has run patterns that GEC has not offered in their other trims. We don't know what's coming out this year, but Northwoods might offer something that we couldn't get from the regular GEC trims. Plus, having KSF involved would give the dealers involved with recent forum runs a break.

Last edited:
I would be content to live with my stable of 35’s with no new additions. Every time I get a knife outside of 3 3/4” and 3 7/8” I get unhappy. 35’s, 77’s, 78’s & 73’s hit the happy spot.

rBJ4hx4.gif

Aaargh! Carpet beetles ate my paintbrushes. Now I'm storing them in Sevin. Annoying. And expensive. I don't know if they're the same ones, but don't want to find out.

Do you not know that I often have a cat on my lap when reading?
I'm stealing that bug.
xOPTJah.gif

Punch nut.

100 percent behind this.
Better than being in front of one. :p:D

Yes, a Rat-Tail looks supreme, but think they work best with Smooth Bone or Woods.

You know, we have not had a Smooth Bone Forum Knife....Stag, Jigged, Wood, Delrin, Micarta

INTERIOR SMOOTH RAM'S HORN!:D:D

Or CAMEL :cool:
Smooth bone or ram's horn and...barehead, right?

I would be comfortable with your suggestion but I would prefer either a wharncliffe or clip point blade. Some of you folks that are collectors appear to be suggesting odd ball stuff as far as I'm concerned. If that happens. Count me out. I don't need odd ball knives. I want practical with nice handles basically.
Some of us use odd ball knives. :cool: Besides, this is just the unofficial, non-binding, etc thread.

How about a toothpick? GEC kind of nailed it with the #12 in terms of size, shape. and blade so I'm not sure what could be done to differentiate it other than fancy handles. Rams horn would look great on a #12. Maybe some fancy bolsters. A little bling.
Or maybe a 2 blade toothpick. That's kind of rare in and of itself. Maybe make the second "blade" the punch from the #29. Call it the Toothpunch :eek:
Or probably better the Pickpunch o_O
Punchpick? :confused:

I suggested donkey toe nail covers last year, and I think a mod thought I was being facetious.

After seeing a few knives with horse hoof handles, I would also humbly suggest the forum soberly consider the hoof material from any and all ungulates (including even toed ungulates such as the camel), so this includes rhinos, hippos, deer, camels, horses, cows, and, yes, donkeys- and for the record donkeys don’t really have toe nails.

or maybe an acrylic resin with dermastid beetles encased inside for all eternity.

I would be up for a Buck 501 Squire, Ebony scales and upgraded stainless.

A fixed blade would work too, like the recently introduced Buck 117 Small Special.

GEC did a great job this year, Buck the year before. Love them both. I would be okay with someone new as well.

My buddy (@dredd8) has a neat knife made out of what the maker called “pasture wood”. I think we should get one with slabs of that. I’m not sure I could use that to cut my food though....

(The makers “pasture wood” is cow poop mixed up in resin so it’s “stabilized”.)

r8shell r8shell :cool: Barehead yeah unless it's a Farmer's Jack Tat-Tail:thumbsup:

SVTFreak SVTFreak As for the Dunghill scales suggestion above, it may be 'green' but it's a path I don't want to tread..:) imagine the 'outgassing' implications :eek::D

I'll stick my neck out and say that a 500 knife order (like the last couple years) should be enough to get Case to make a run. They've done that in the past for other clubs. I've often thought that a BF version of the Bose annual knife would be a good fit. Not the high end version (although I'd like that) but the less expensive versions they run off in multiple short runs (like the Swayback Jack in yellow they made 100 of).

Likewise, if we couldn't get something like Charlie's Jack in Unicorn Ivory, I think a smaller (3 1/2" - 3 5/8") knife would be a nice change.

I have always held the position that the Traditional knife should be something different, not just a readily available pattern with different covers. Bringing back a run of a pattern long out of production distinguishes us, and can also benefit to maker. The GEC 13 series, for example, is entirely due to our BF knife, a pattern that had not been run for 40 years. This does not mean we should put a hardship on the manufacturer to come up with a totally new design, Case for example could have made that knife; they ran that pattern back in the 1930's and still make a Congress on occasion.

GEC is running their 62 pattern this year. The following picture is an old Remington pattern that's basically impossible to find, and yet it would easily translate to the 62. Small, Wharncliff, pen, single spring, etc; a small, usable knife. Flat bolsters and nice scales would make it a pretty fancy, and very uncommon, addition to any collection.

m59xWwC.jpg

Likewise, an equal end like the next picture is rare enough that it's a custom item if you want one, and it too should be easy enough for most manufacturers, as they have a similar pattern in the library. That's a shame.

Gxr47tL.jpg

I will always support the annual knife, but I think we lose something when we settle for just another minor change in a already planned run or for something easily duplicated by placing a special order with the manufacturers custom shop. I do understand the labor involved in this project, and I can't say enough about those individuals who have worked on this over the years. But I hate to see something like this, which to me has a special meaning, dumbed down.

Last, the one thing I really dislike of this whole process is the continued emphasis to keep the price below $100. This has had a serious impact on the buying power and uniqueness of what can be accomplished, and I suggest we raise that limit to $125, which is a very reasonable level of inflation for a pricepoint that has remained constant for 15 years.

My buddy (@dredd8) has a neat knife made out of what the maker called “pasture wood”.

I like it. A friend told me that his parents once stopped at a little roadside stand that had a sign saying "Free Road Apples". They didn't take any. :)

Back