The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

I had another hair-brained idea pop into my head.

I'd like to see a Beer Scout, made in the Northwoods brand, in Desert Ironwood handles, with the BF tang stamp. mmmm

My wish...a bone handled stainless 15 Rope/Navy knife with jigging like Mr. CC’s original Rope knives with a stainless crown lifter. Any number of names, Beer Pirate, Pirate Scout, Beer Sailor, ...

I'll stick my neck out and say that a 500 knife order (like the last couple years) should be enough to get Case to make a run. They've done that in the past for other clubs. I've often thought that a BF version of the Bose annual knife would be a good fit. Not the high end version (although I'd like that) but the less expensive versions they run off in multiple short runs (like the Swayback Jack in yellow they made 100 of).

Likewise, if we couldn't get something like Charlie's Jack in Unicorn Ivory, I think a smaller (3 1/2" - 3 5/8") knife would be a nice change.

I have always held the position that the Traditional knife should be something different, not just a readily available pattern with different covers. Bringing back a run of a pattern long out of production distinguishes us, and can also benefit to maker. The GEC 13 series, for example, is entirely due to our BF knife, a pattern that had not been run for 40 years. This does not mean we should put a hardship on the manufacturer to come up with a totally new design, Case for example could have made that knife; they ran that pattern back in the 1930's and still make a Congress on occasion.

GEC is running their 62 pattern this year. The following picture is an old Remington pattern that's basically impossible to find, and yet it would easily translate to the 62. Small, Wharncliff, pen, single spring, etc; a small, usable knife. Flat bolsters and nice scales would make it a pretty fancy, and very uncommon, addition to any collection.

m59xWwC.jpg

Likewise, an equal end like the next picture is rare enough that it's a custom item if you want one, and it too should be easy enough for most manufacturers, as they have a similar pattern in the library. That's a shame.

Gxr47tL.jpg

I will always support the annual knife, but I think we lose something when we settle for just another minor change in a already planned run or for something easily duplicated by placing a special order with the manufacturers custom shop. I do understand the labor involved in this project, and I can't say enough about those individuals who have worked on this over the years. But I hate to see something like this, which to me has a special meaning, dumbed down.

Last, the one thing I really dislike of this whole process is the continued emphasis to keep the price below $100. This has had a serious impact on the buying power and uniqueness of what can be accomplished, and I suggest we raise that limit to $125, which is a very reasonable level of inflation for a pricepoint that has remained constant for 15 years.
I would also support raising the price limit. If we had raised the limit 3% per year, the limit would be 155 now. I think 125 is perfectly reasonable considering changing purchasing power.

I'll stick my neck out and say that a 500 knife order (like the last couple years) should be enough to get Case to make a run. They've done that in the past for other clubs. I've often thought that a BF version of the Bose annual knife would be a good fit. Not the high end version (although I'd like that) but the less expensive versions they run off in multiple short runs (like the Swayback Jack in yellow they made 100 of).

Likewise, if we couldn't get something like Charlie's Jack in Unicorn Ivory, I think a smaller (3 1/2" - 3 5/8") knife would be a nice change.

I have always held the position that the Traditional knife should be something different, not just a readily available pattern with different covers. Bringing back a run of a pattern long out of production distinguishes us, and can also benefit to maker. The GEC 13 series, for example, is entirely due to our BF knife, a pattern that had not been run for 40 years. This does not mean we should put a hardship on the manufacturer to come up with a totally new design, Case for example could have made that knife; they ran that pattern back in the 1930's and still make a Congress on occasion.

GEC is running their 62 pattern this year. The following picture is an old Remington pattern that's basically impossible to find, and yet it would easily translate to the 62. Small, Wharncliff, pen, single spring, etc; a small, usable knife. Flat bolsters and nice scales would make it a pretty fancy, and very uncommon, addition to any collection.

m59xWwC.jpg

Likewise, an equal end like the next picture is rare enough that it's a custom item if you want one, and it too should be easy enough for most manufacturers, as they have a similar pattern in the library. That's a shame.

Gxr47tL.jpg

I will always support the annual knife, but I think we lose something when we settle for just another minor change in a already planned run or for something easily duplicated by placing a special order with the manufacturers custom shop. I do understand the labor involved in this project, and I can't say enough about those individuals who have worked on this over the years. But I hate to see something like this, which to me has a special meaning, dumbed down.

Last, the one thing I really dislike of this whole process is the continued emphasis to keep the price below $100. This has had a serious impact on the buying power and uniqueness of what can be accomplished, and I suggest we raise that limit to $125, which is a very reasonable level of inflation for a pricepoint that has remained constant for 15 years.

I don't know how popular it would be but if we could get Case on board, my brain just had images of a Mini Trapper with Wharncliffe and clip and light blue and white (BF Colors) Kirinite. :)

A fixed blade would definitely be a nice change of pace. Most of the folders suggested so far wouldn't really add anything to the collections of a lot of people here, save for being 'the forum knife'. How about a Kephart?

Oh yeah, and I'd much prefer a stainless steel.

Maybe someone could convince Becker to make an upgraded version of the BK62?

eisman eisman Well argued and articulate, I agree the price should be upped as it's not only more realistic but would enhance the Forum's bargaining power or 'clout' Manufacturers are going to be wary of 100 or under as the cost.

You rather appear to contradict yourself ( but I don't disagree;)) when you state the 62 is a very viable pattern, most definitely is, but you criticise the use of off the shelf patternso_O The 62 I've just got is superbly made, and cost under 100, but it could be the platform for a 'special' Say Wharncliffe and Smallclip minor like a Norfolk knife. Get some Horsecut jigged bone on it and it really could be outstanding. I could also suggest the 68 frame with Spear master and Wharncliffe or Small Pruner minor with Bowtie shield, would look like the Custom you posted.

Every year somebody, rightly, suggests CASE. Five hundred is a decent order but they never appear interested and highly unlikely to revive a defunct pattern for us. From them I could lap up a Smooth Bone Swayback Gent, one of their excellent production models, a Penknife (but not in Yellow D :D) or a Saddlehorn single which certainly would be different. CASE have instructed their dealers not to ship overseas, which I obviously find offensive&ridiculous, so I don't know how this would impact upon overseas members. Lastly, which dealer could take on a CASE order, or could CASE do it direct? Pretty uncertain.:confused:

but you criticize the use of off the shelf patterns

I think the confusion is in that many consider the shape of a knife to be the pattern. That's not true. Whittlers for example can be found in many different shapes and sizes, and yet they always have the same three blade configuration. A Rope Knife and a Hawkbill have no difference (with most manufacturers) other than the blade, and yet they are not considered the same pattern. A Congress shape (to use the example from my previous post) was offered by almost every maker and yet until we had GEC make that as a BF annual a few years back it had not been run in a "Jack" configuration by anyone for over 30 years. There are a number of examples like that which, to my mind, would be better representatives of a "Traditional" BF special knife than just another variation on a regular run. Bringing back an old, hard to find, traditional, pattern is a worthy task. And, if it's something a manufacturer can then take and expand on, well look what we've accomplished.

Ask yourself, when was the last time you saw a Jumbo Sleeveboard run, or a large Slim Jack, or a Crown Jack, a Swell Center Jack with a sheepsfoot main like LF&C used to offer, a Serpentine Lobster, a Sailor's Jack; the list gets longer the more I think about it. Do you realize that GEC's entire production of "Farmers" a couple years back was smaller than our Annual for the last two years? Not to belittle the point, because I'm very pleased to see Buck in the line up, but if I ever want a duplicate of that years knife I can get it thru their shop. I can't get an exact copy of our 2011 BF knife, and even if GEC did make a run of them I highly doubt they'd make 500.

Let me start by saying I've never bought a forum knife. Primarily because I wasn't that involved and wasn't digging on traditionals until this past year. So take this with the requisite five pound bag of salt it deserves.

My fear with the price increase is another way of saying, "we could get an even better GEC model if we spend more." And that's obviously totally cool if that's what the forum decides, but I sort of like the idea of the challenge of a unique knife at $100. Opinel, Mora, SAK, Buck, as all have been suggested. Now, many of these options may not in fact be options but I know for me, it has sent me searching and wondering what is out there or what could be done within that price range.

Last edited:
When I think about a Traditional Forum Knife...
I keep imagining some type of Whittler Pattern with Aged Oak Handle Covers and a Rocking Chair Shield.
with 440C blades right :D

eisman eisman on a whittler the blades can change but it is a single main on one end and two smaller blades on the opposite end are the main defining characteristics.

on a whittler the blades can change but it is a single main on one end and two smaller blades on the opposite end

Yes, that's the three blade configuration as I stated, it's the same, no matter what the blade type. Your point is?

Not to belittle the point, because I'm very pleased to see Buck in the line up, but if I ever want a duplicate of that years knife I can get it thru their shop.

That sounds awesome, so I just went to the Buck Custom shop to make one up for myself in a different handle material. But as it turns out, the 301 isn't offered in customizable options to the general public. In fact, none of Buck's multi-blade knives are. So, I guess we can rest assured that the 2018 forum knife is indeed unique.

I think that a fixblade is a good idea as it hasn't been done yet. That being said, I would pass on that knife. I would prefer medium to small multibladed folder.

Eventough I find peanut to be too small for my taste, the idea of PunchNut is very exciting. Made me think of this sought after version:
IMG-20191221-135620-2.jpg

Imagine something like this made by GEC.

Pursuing my own interests, I would too suggest #92 talon with wharncliffe blade (but I would jump on zulu blade too) and muslin micarta, or some itineration of swayback jack or even somewhat thinned down #71 bullnose with osage covers.

A #66 stockman with spey blade replaced with some more useful implement like punch or caplifter would also be nice.

BUT, because I like EE cigar frame (smaller than #35) and because I think this knife is gorgeous (not my photo):
7bPbe7S.jpg

my primary suggestion would be a pen knife on a white owl frame with clip main and awl secondary. It would obviously be named "White Awl". Coupled with covers made of muslin micarta, smooth white bone or even that unicorn ivory acrylic it would make for an elegant and useful knife.

Last edited:
... BUT, because I like EE cigar frame (smaller than #35) and because I think this knife is gorgeous (not my photo):
7bPbe7S.jpg

my primary suggestions would be a pen knife on a white owl frame with clip main and awl secondary. It would obviously be named "White Awl". Coupled with covers made of muslin micarta, smooth white bone or even that unicorn ivory acrylic it would make for an elegant and useful knife.

I second this idea with another photo!

fh74MGZ.jpg

Back