The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

A bit of added inflation to that 100 limit would be OK in my opinion, might make matters easier in negotiation?
Most GECs cost more than that and a Custom Buck too. I have to pay 25% Import Tax and 25% on the cost of shipping too so I'm nor that eager for a price liberalisation, but it does seem reasonable after 10 years. In fact, the 2013 knife cost more and I believe the 2009 one did too?

In the first post of this incredible thread it was suggested the forum consider allowing a small profit for the dealer, a small donation to the forum, and a perhaps even a small donation to worthy charity.........

Adjusting the price limit for the debasement of our currency is also a good idea........

we get something of substantial value so it seems appropriate to consider spreading some love around.

The 100.00 maximum was set as a price limit so the Traditional Forum knife would be affordable to most everyone that wanted one. It has been less and it has been a little more.

Understood Gary. I was more inquiring about the "zero profit to the dealer" aspect and influence. Meaning, do they get no money because of the $100 limit and that it would be so hard to produce a knife at that price and them still make a profit? If so, then if we had a knife that didn't eat up the entire $100 just in production costs, could the dealer then make something off it?

Or, is there some other reason they don't get any profit?

0-6c-Sap-hk_3CglMBxHJN8HmKTTentrBWYrZpBoKoCEuBilW8SayQw5inr6b6cQZ6VBKTyIlnANJFgZLqGnss0vCl_jPVyU2EOSX_Dgag2SydaRqcFKMYKYl7-VXTNWlywElDGKYhdFVyx0zDBzhFrYCt0UEeXyc3E

Understood Gary. I was more inquiring about the "zero profit to the dealer" aspect and influence. Meaning, do they get no money because of the $100 limit and that it would be so hard to produce a knife at that price and them still make a profit? If so, then if we had a knife that didn't eat up the entire $100 just in production costs, could the dealer then make something off it?

Or, is there some other reason they don't get any profit?
It’s more an agreement with Blade Forums that nobody is going to profit off of the name if it is going to be a forum knife. I believe the dealer can use part of the price to cover their costs but cannot build a profit into the price.

It’s more an agreement with Blade Forums that nobody is going to profit off of the name if it is going to be a forum knife. I believe the dealer can use part of the price to cover their costs but cannot build a profit into the price.

Got it. Thank you.

Given all the hard work involved in this endeavor, I hope we're giving the dealer a free knife.

Gotta say, if it ends (somehow, I don't think it will happen) up that an Opinel gets the nod, I'll proooobably be out. I have enough of them already, and I don't ever carry or use the ones I do own whereas I have a GEC in my pocket every day. My preference (and vote) will absolutely be towards a GEC, I don't even care too much about the model. Well, as long as it's not a toothpick #12. Don't really prefer those much.

I should add, I'm definitely not attempting to insult anyone who's calling for an Opinel. They just aren't special to me, not in the slightest. The GEC Forum knives I own from multiple years are special in their own ways, love 'em all.

All of that said, a Buck fixed blade is something I could definitely get behind as well if the consensus is heading that way.

.... and don't get me wrong, I like Spydercos, and if the "modern knife" guys wanted to do a forum knife, I'd be interested.. but for Lefty, the forum knife we are talking about here will be a traditional slip-joint, or fixed blade...

I was new here, once, and I apologize for sounding a bit abrupt with my first response...

I don't get the 'Opinel is a joke' thing. They are a great value, and if such a thing is even achievable an Opinel Forum knife would be a standout among other club knives.

Or, is it a case of snobbery that I'm not understanding? How snobbish can you get over a hundred dollar knife?

I do like the idea of a Bullnose. I'd think that a $70 knife with fancy scales would still come in under the $100 target price.

dsutton24 dsutton24 I was mistaken on a couple aspects which is why I thought it was a joke however I still see the options with one to be rather limited regardless which to me limits what can make the knife special. I don't care if the forum knife is $10 or $100. I care that it is special and beyond that I care that it would suit me. I will say it would take something special to make me want to add a new Opinel to my collection and I only buy knives to use despite how little that use might be.

A GEC with a spear blade and a caplifter. I know, I know, "Just buy a Swiss Army knife"... But dang it, I want those options on a handsome traditional!

(...and a beaver shield would just be 'almost' too much icing on that cake...)

If we could get Victorinox to make up some Scientists, I'd be in for two. Maybe three. They've already got all the parts and the pattern. How hard could it be? :p
Should be easy to stay under $100. It would be a rare knife that's hard to find.
Just sayin' :)

Back