The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Wouldn't agree with you there about the Buck knife. The 'details' were picked by us as well, I would've preferred Ram's Horn but that was not the will of the masses;) It's stainless and very nice stainless and it's a real job to get people here to accept anything that isn't rust inherent:D It's also flat ground unlike most Buck pocket knives. Opinions differ as they should, but I found it a fine knife and one I enjoy using:thumbsup:

I agree with Will Power Will Power the 2018 Buck knife was fantastic, and Buck allowed us so many choices and options even GEC doesn’t do that.

My Buck 2018 knife is a prize in the collection and I carried it for a year, and it is superb in the field.

A Buck traditional is not second best in any way. It also opened my eyes to what a great company Buck is.

I want something special for the next knife. I love it when the Bill Howard gets involved and provides the basis for the knife and we simply pick the details. Our 2019 Forum was special. It is gorgeous to look at and it has a unique blade shape and profile for the 86 pattern. I know people aren’t supposed to sell them, but I saw one sell for $335 the other day. That just shows how well designed the knife was. It should be desirable if it was done well.

I don’t want something like the 2018 knife which lacked anything truly special about it. Buck’s elk stag is usually rather lackluster and lacks character which was the case for almost all of the 2018 Forum knives. There really wasn’t anything special about taking a three blade stockman down to two blades.

It's funny, but I feel pretty much exactly opposite. I don't like when we get told what we are going to get. And I loved the 2018 and feel nothing for the 2019. The 2018 gets regular pocket time, while the 2019 has cut some Spam and otherwise sat on the shelf.

Of course a big part of that is that I strongly prefer stainless steel. But hey, my daughter loves the 2019 and has requested that it be hers when she gets older. So different strokes for different folks.

We've been told that it will be a Buck or GEC knife.
I'm hoping for some type of lower value Farm and Field...
Or possibly a smaller Buck Stockman with all three blades (please).
I will be voting for the most unique and least flip-able knife we are offered.

I also very much like the 2018 Buck, rides easy in the pocket, and it’s a work horse, good solid knife. Also really like the 2019 GEC for my evening/weekend carry, elegant scales an shield, perfect blade shape, a classic classy knife.
So I’m in the GEC or Buck camp
Can’t get behind slapping different color scales on a mass produced knife or an “olive wood” handle upgrade as desirable as what Buck an GEC and more importantly, the dealers that made our last two forum knives so special to me.

I think Buck will be limited to a fixed blade is what was said and I know I am in a bit of the minority but I would really like to see a 440C GEC for the run. I know we have had stainless before but have we ever had a stainless GEC for the forum knife?

If you're in the minority it's a sizeable one:thumbsup: I'd really like a single-blade Stainless GEC (think Talon, Spear 15 :cool:) But the main problem is that stainless is becoming a rare bird-endangered species - for GEC :D:eek: Can't ever see them doing a c 500 knife run in stainless, so don't get great expectations;)

Buck 102 or large Vantage with upgraded steel and handle material...
The Vantage is a great knife, but it doesn't meet the criteria for the Traditional Forum.

Does Buck make any smaller fixed blade knives like a bird and trout? Maybe with stacked leather handles? Otherwise, I don't hate the Vanguard:
eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL2J1Y2svaW1hZ2VzL0JVMTkyQlJfMS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6IHsicmVzaXplIjogeyJ3aWR0aCI6IDU0NSwiaGVpZ2h0IjogNDE1LCJmaXQiOiAiY29udGFpbiIsImJhY2tncm91bmQiOiB7InIiOiAyNTUsImciOiAyNTUsImIiOiAyNTUsImFscGhhIjogMX19fX0=

The Vantage is a great knife, but it doesn't meet the criteria for the Traditional Forum.

Does Buck make any smaller fixed blade knives like a bird and trout? Maybe with stacked leather handles? Otherwise, I don't hate the Vanguard:
eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL2J1Y2svaW1hZ2VzL0JVMTkyQlJfMS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6IHsicmVzaXplIjogeyJ3aWR0aCI6IDU0NSwiaGVpZ2h0IjogNDE1LCJmaXQiOiAiY29udGFpbiIsImJhY2tncm91bmQiOiB7InIiOiAyNTUsImciOiAyNTUsImIiOiAyNTUsImFscGhhIjogMX19fX0=

I've always liked the looks of the Vanguard, maybe even better with a flat-grind and 1095 ;) :thumbsup:

If it was a Buck fixed blade, the 113 would be the way to go. Good size for edc and it's a solid full tang knife, so it would be good in the field or at camp...etc.. Plus it's already in the custom shop, so I'm sure it would be an easier task to make something special. Are there any bone handled fixed blades floating around??

I've always liked the looks of the Vanguard, maybe even better with a flat-grind and 1095 ;) :thumbsup:
Being a Buck accumulator and a 192 Vanguard aficionado, I would like that also. The knife feels great in hand and is pleasing to look at. This is one done in 5160, haven't seen Buck use 1095. They have used W2, D2, tool steels. As well as many of the "super" steels.
IMG_E1297.JPG

I had never seen this one before, but it might be a viable alternative to a bird and trout kind of thing... called the "open season"... and it's available in S30V as a higher end steel... along with the normal 420HC. This is the small game version, and they have a 3 1/2" version called the caper...

j1H2mo.jpg

Here in PA all non-essential businesses are under a mandatory shut-down until further notice due to the virus. I see that GEC is part of the businesses that have closed. I am sure this will affect them being a potential candidate for the 2020 BF knife.

Back