The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

I had never seen this one before, but it might be a viable alternative to a bird and trout kind of thing... called the "open season"... and it's available in S30V as a higher end steel... along with the normal 420HC. This is the small game version, and they have a 3 1/2" version called the caper...

j1H2mo.jpg

I think Buck calls this one 4 1/2", but that appears to be the distance from the tip to the scales. It's actually a really nice size and would carry well in a pocket if one was to make a kydex sheath for it. I'd love to see one as the forum knife.

Well they are good at exporting things.....
Yeah, including displays of sliced up people and poisoned dog food. The ChiCom .gov is messing with our forum knife. If GEC was told to close, then we should simply focus on BUCK. They make solid knives and we are wasting time.

FWIW, a folder is much more useful in my everyday life than a fixed blade.

I believe the imposed manufacturing moratorium is only expected to be 14-15 days... at least that is what the president is suggesting. I'm good with waiting to see what happens. GEC is much more likely to need business after this delay than Buck is... although I have no problem if the decision has already been made to go with Buck. I like their knives, too.

I think this is one of those, I posted in Stag Saturday...
DSC_0015.JPG

Buck? I still do not have a Vangard in my collection. Would absolutely love to see any one those posted recently, sitting on the table in front of me. :thumbsup::thumbsup: That stag is beautiful, as are the dark woods, and even the micarta options.

Opinel? Nah :thumbsdown: . Got em, but don't use em.

SAK? Have a few, but other than little keychain versions, just never seem to be picked up over other choices on my shelf. BUT! Will say that some of the Copper scales I've seen have piqued my interest. That just may be something I'd jump on. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

GEC? So far still a :thumbsup::thumbsup: for most of what I've seen. Would be in for probably anything from a Whaler to a little Beagle (18?).

Wow, took me a minute to catch up on the last six pages of the thread. :) I'm a slow reader....especially when there's pictures.

It would be an accomplishment to get a BF knife in 2020, IMO. I'm definitely in should one be offered.

I think it should represent the legacy of 2020; very economically reasonable and handles that are either anti bacterial or can stand up to frequent disinfectant/alcohol/soap applications. Perhaps it is time for a fixed BF knife.

It would be an accomplishment to get a BF knife in 2020, IMO. I'm definitely in should one be offered.

I think it should represent the legacy of 2020; very economically reasonable and handles that are either anti bacterial or can stand up to frequent disinfectant/alcohol/soap applications. Perhaps it is time for a fixed BF knife.
As things seem to go, we can dream of a BFK, but not sure someone will make them...

Buck has collector club run, frequent short run web specials, short runs for groups - including the knives put together for BF sub forum, and SK. Short run Buck fixed blades are run so often...

GEC on the other hand is polar opposite regarding availability.

If Buck is voted as the forum knife then I will pass. I could get something direct from Buck myself without 500 people voting on what it will be.

Buck has collector club run, frequent short run web specials, short runs for groups - including the knives put together for BF sub forum, and SK. Short run Buck fixed blades are run so often...

GEC on the other hand is polar opposite regarding availability.

If Buck is voted as the forum knife then I will pass. I could get something direct from Buck myself without 500 people voting on what it will be.
Not sure Buck would agree to remove a blade for just one knife, as they did for the BFK... ;)

Buck is still working as of yesterday.. I ordered a knife from the custom shop 5 weeks ago and received the notice of shipment yesterday. I had been wondering if it might get delayed.

Does this discussion have a deadline for making a decision?

Seems GEC will have some production backlog building for this calendar year, so may be unable to assist.

maybe this year covers should be made from
Cinchona pubescens
(quinine tree)
477A3116-362F-4FE7-A58D-F1AB5612381B.jpeg

this wood should be readily available, does not seem to be on any CITES list, and considered an invasive species in most places. It grows very fast, is very hard to kill the tree even if it is cut down or debarked, and looks pretty decent. This is where quinine comes from.

Last edited:
maybe this year covers should be made from
Cinchona pubescens
(quinine tree)
View attachment 1306628

this wood should be readily available, does not seem to be on any CITES list, and considered an invasive species in most places. It grows very fast, is very hard to kill the tree even if it is cut down or debarked, and looks pretty decent. This is where quinine comes from.

That is actually some really pretty wood.... now I need to go find some.

The Vantage is a great knife, but it doesn't meet the criteria for the Traditional Forum.

Does Buck make any smaller fixed blade knives like a bird and trout? Maybe with stacked leather handles? Otherwise, I don't hate the Vanguard:
eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL2J1Y2svaW1hZ2VzL0JVMTkyQlJfMS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6IHsicmVzaXplIjogeyJ3aWR0aCI6IDU0NSwiaGVpZ2h0IjogNDE1LCJmaXQiOiAiY29udGFpbiIsImJhY2tncm91bmQiOiB7InIiOiAyNTUsImciOiAyNTUsImIiOiAyNTUsImFscGhhIjogMX19fX0=

The 118 is more or less a B&T but the 102 is an outstanding all-rounder. The 102 was the first knife I ever bought and after a lot of birds and fish cleaned, my oldest daughter now carries it. She also has an Alaskan Guide Vanguard that is very nice.

I hate to be a pessimist, but if I had to put money down, I'd bet that it isn't going to happen this year because of the new bug going around. It looks like it won't be going away here in the Northern hemisphere when it gets warm, since it's rampaging through Australia and Brazil right now. Time to buckle up.

gaj999 gaj999 I understand your view on this, but it is also very important that everyone continue to look to the future and do what we can to carry on with life.

It is only March, and there are 9 months left in 2020... I wouldn’t bet against the USA, the rest of humanity or God.

Don’t give up hope on a forum knife, or on anything else.

And Buck has not shut down...........

The 2020 knife may be the most memorable one ever.

Back