The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Ooh! A GunPunch. PunchStock?

sQq6S1Wm.jpg

magnum p.i. (Punch included)

I would be happy to see the dealer/distributor of a forum knife receive compensation for their efforts, but that has to be agreed to by the owner of Bladeforums, who has in the past ruled that the forum knife must be non-profit.

Every year, there is some discussion of a small fixed blade (a leather stacked bird & trout would be cool) but just like with certain locking knives, some members live in places with restrictions on carrying such knives. We have always decided it is important that our international membership be able to participate and enjoy the knife.

It is fun to discuss what we want in an unofficial non binding possibility discussion so I'll say this:
Last year we got a large, single blade knife. Just for the contrast I propose a small knife like a Peanut with a secondary blade. If that secondary blade is a punch/awl, all the better.
Vote PunchNut for 2020!!!

I vote PunchNut for 2020 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
:)

If there is a forum knife and it's a GEC they historically only offer the knife on a currently run pattern. Good luck asking for specific models in this thread. Seems like we would have better luck asking KSF to hook us up with a special variation of an already planned Northwoods this year :thumbsup:

I’m excited about the prospect of a 2020 forum knife. I’ve kind of sat on the edge of the porch for the last couple years and been more of an observer as I’m not very knowledgeable about traditional knives but it certainly has kindled an interest in knives I’m afraid to say I’d never really thought much about. I’ve learned a lot more than I knew.

I bought the last two forum knives and I will buy this year’s, if there is one, no matter what it ends up being. To me it is more than just a knife, it is a representation of polls taken by fellow knife enthusiasts, discussions and debates, time sacrificed by a gracious and possibly slightly insane (by the time everything is said and done anyway) dealer and the coming together of the porch to crank out a really good knife at a very reasonable price. Meako’s label on this year’s knife tube was icing on a very sweet piece of cake IMO. I know the polls won’t always go my way and I’m fine with that. I’ll still buy whatever is decided on.

I gave away my 2018 Bladeforums buck 301 to my best friend’s sister last summer while we were camping (she didn’t carry a single knife in her purse or elsewhere(!!)and I will admit, whiskey was involved) and had been missing it dearly, so I’d posted in WTB that I was looking to buy one. A Bladeforums member blew my mind by offering to send me one of his two 2018 forum knives, his safe queen, at no charge. Seas165, thank you thank you, thank you.

I love this place. Sorry I’m so long winded! I’ll shut up now and see what you guys and gals come up with for ideas in this unofficial, non binding ideas thread.

If GEC were chosen again, another rarer type of knife that could well be something of interest the 38 frame comes to mind. Both waynorth waynorth and @wlfryjr put out superb SFOs of the Farmer's Jack but there were simpler more basic versions too. Here, Tidioute in Camel-bone with Pruner/ Spey-budding.

hGBvpvN.jpg

As Will said, lots of good ideas, but a BF Orchard Gem gets my motor running.

Ideas I can get behind: PunchNut, HJ#14, 303, small fixed blade

Idea to throw in: Buck 55 with a drop point CPM154 blade and Ebony handles

It seems that every year there is a small amount of noise from us small knife lovers early on, but once it's actually time to vote, the people who like 3.75"-4.25" traditionals handily outvote us. Here's hoping for something different this year.

It seems that every year there is a small amount of noise from us small knife lovers early on, but once it's actually time to vote, the people who like 3.75"-4.25" traditionals handily outvote us. Here's hoping for something different this year.

How about an improved Trapper on the 23 frame? 23s are up soon. That's probably too much like the 74 from a few years ago, but I didn't get one of those. Plus they were kinda small, not even 4" ;) Let's go big! Maybe a 98? :D Actually I'd rather have a 3.5" fixed blade. That certainly counts as small. It's still very useful and ducks the 4" threshold that's so common. Maybe 3.4" would be better, I've seen 3.5" be the break point between legal and illegal to conceal in some backwards locales ... something without a guard would be nice so that it would carry well in pocket or in a neck sheath. Something like the Buck 539 would be sweet, although they list the blade length as 4.5". The only way I can see getting that number is if they start measuring where the scales end instead of where the blade starts. Anyone with a few basic hand tools and an oven can make a nice kydex pocket sheath in about half an hour. Easy peasy. Tutorials abound.

Back