The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Many great ideas here, but there’s one thing I’d personally like to see. I’d like to see the 2020 Forum Knife be a knife that could be ordered during the second quarter of the year, manufactured during the third quarter and shipped no later than the first week of the fourth quarter. If the knives were delivered by the first week of October, that’d give the overworked guys who run this show an entire 2 to 3 month break before the next annual cycle starts up again.

A Buck fixed blade would be cool. This is the: "Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades" forum.
Assuming someone with ties to Buck would be willing to take it on.

Or, a Northwoods option would be cool and seems viable if they would be willing. Big "ifs"

Since we are dreaming........

I would love to see an esquire sleeveboard from GEC. Tip bolsters, long pull main blade (clip preferably) and keep the coping as secondary. Maybe even squeeze in a small bar shield.

This pic illustrates what I am talking about with tip bolsters and a bar shield.
4bhfQp3.jpg

This pic illustrates the long pull used on the actual knife(no scalloped liners please)
ROjemmJ.jpg

I also love that calico bone

GEC needs to make a sowbelly pattern. I'd be really glad to own a equal end serpentine forum knife, too, though (a 66?).

I've been a lurker for a bit as I became very "reinterested" in Traditionals in the last few months, and have to say that I'd be over the moon about an equal-end cigar pattern (unless one's been done recently). I'm still learning all the patterns and numbers that correspond with those, so go easy on me. LOL

Either way, I'll be a customer for the 2020 knife.

I find myself in the same place as Quiet Quiet on this. I know very little about traditionals as I’ve recently taken more interest in them. However, in relation to how much knowledge others have in this forum I know nothing and spend much of my time reading and learning.

That being said, if there is a forum knife for 2020, I’ll be in for at least one.

Too bad no one is presently making a full size (4 inch closed) Sunfish but Rough Rider.
A sunfish would be nice, and is a pattern not used on the forum knife before.
(For those who worry about such, due to the height of the handle, a full size (4 inch closed) sunfish does not print in the pocket of even a pair of light weight suit trousers. They are not a "light weight" knife, however.)

OK. I'll shut up again. :oops: Sorry.

Last edited:
Too bad no one is presently making a full size (4 inch closed) Sunfish but Rough Rider.
A sunfish would be nice, and is a pattern not used on the forum knife before.
(For those who worry about such, due to the width of the handle, a full size (4 inch closed) sunfish does not print in the pocket of even a pair of light weight suit trousers. They are not a "light weight" knife, however.)

OK. I'll shut up again. :oops: Sorry.
The Case elephant toe is very similar to a sunfish correct? In that case it really isn't thick compared to the width. Of these two the barlow is actually a tad thicker.
56iUvLe.jpg

Though broad they do lay flat in the pocket.
Pic for example ;)
Edit to add: the Case elephant toe is single spring

I'd carry a French Kate knife before a sunfish....
and I don't like French Kate knives... sorry, not intended to be a rant, just my preference. I know there are people that really like the sunfish, but for the life of me, I can see no use for that big wide blade at all. Perhaps I'm simply un-educated... someone should straighten me out.

I'd carry a French Kate knife before a sunfish....
and I don't like French Kate knives... sorry, not intended to be a rant, just my preference. I know there are people that really like the sunfish, but for the life of me, I can see no use for that big wide blade at all. Perhaps I'm simply un-educated... someone should straighten me out.

Use it for spreading mayo on your sandwich, and you'll be a fan. haha just kidding. I have a few, but they are safe queens for me. I don't carry Sunfish/Whaler knives. I just love how they look.

The Case elephant toe is very similar to a sunfish correct? In that case it really isn't thick compared to the width. Of these two the barlow is actually a tad thicker.
56iUvLe.jpg

Though broad they do lay flat in the pocket.
Pic for example ;)
Edit to add: the Case elephant toe is single spring
I was referring to "thick" as in backsprings to spine. Perhaps "broad" or "tall" would have been a more apt word. I'll edit to fix that.
Agree, they do lay flat in the pocket and do not "print" so no one knows it is there. (unless it pulls your trousers down unexpectedly. Like I said, they are not a light weight.)

Case has not made one in years, but yes, they are the same pattern.

Nice One Armed Barlow and Sunfish/Elephant Toe/Whaler/Rope Knife/Pocket Axe/Emergency Spatula … (I forget all the other names for that pattern) you have there. :)

(Oh! The Rough Rider is a two spring.)

Last edited:
I'm cool with whatever :) Would be nice to see what patterns are going to be available to choose from if we go with GEC again :thumbsup:
I am also in favor of the accommodating dealer getting something in return.
Let the mock-ups begin.
I believe GEC will only help us with a current pattern. If so, I vote for a single blade 92 in stag with a zulu blade. Do you still have the photo Darren?@waverave

Back