The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A comparison picture, to give an idea of appearance! The blade on the SFO in the second pic is likely close to the blade proposed - about 3 1/8" long from the bolster. The TC Barlow is 3 1/2", closed of course.86 Barlow BLADE FORUMS.jpg 86 comp 1.jpg 86 comp 2.jpg

I love the look of the knife in the mockup. While not my first GEC, the oil field jack is the knife that really got me interested in more traditional knives. Overall I'm not a fan of barlows with bolster stamps, I prefer the clean look of the mockup, and the Bladeforums tang stamp is awesome. I generally prefer wood or micarta covers, but I definitely prefer sawcut bone over other bone finishes. I would really like to get one, and I'll be waiting to see how the ordering process plays out.

A Northwoods run was done on the #86 frame - called the Heritage Jack and it came with a most excellent spear. In fact, if I recall correctly, the blade was a nice representation of some spear blades on some old jacks. I think Charlie has shown pictures of them before.

All that to say, a spear would look superb on this Barlow but it looks like our blade option is set in stone.

03qHZFV.jpg
I'm glad the spear isn't an option specifically for that reason. Just like I would prefer to go with something other than Ebony. Variety is the spice of life!

bHP7Ddx.jpg

Sounds awfully close to one of these. It’s an ok knife, not one of my favourites.

The color of the bone is fine, but I find it a bit lacklustre. I don’t know why, but older sawcut bone always seems to have a richer character. So does Charlie’s lighter color pictured above. Maybe it needs a chip or two.

So while I favour the proposed pattern, I think we need to ensure it has a bit of character.

splashing a big BUNNY on the blade would be cool, but I already know that idea will be shouted down. Another option would be to do a really authentic flat bolster with the maker’s name stamped on it like the ones pictured in the catalogues.

Don’t want to sound negative but forum knife selection is a serious business!

Last edited:
Greetings all!

It is time, once again, to have a non-binding, unofficial discussion that carries no weight, about the possibility of a 2021 Bladeforum traditional knife.

I will start the thread by proposing that either 1) GEC make us a mini-trapper pattern with either red jig bone covers or osage orange wood covers, or, 2) Buck make us a full flat grind 105 or 103 pattern in S45VN, with ironwood handles and brown leather sheath.

Since my ideas are so good, a simple “yes, those are the two best ideas ever” can be posted as a show of moral support and moral superiority.

It is also acceptable to submit other ideas for a 2021 forum knife, to complain that we are starting too early, starting too late, that you will never ever buy a certain style of knife, that GEC won’t do it, Buck won’t do it, the forum owner will have flashbacks and refuse to do it, that a dealer will never step up, or that Covid makes the whole thing logistically impossible, or even that you already have all the knives you need so a forum knife is pointless to you.

What is your opinion?!
Yes to the Trapper :thumbsup:

I really like the looks of the bolsters. Haven’t picked up the last few but might just have to this year if they’re really going to go with that design, or at least something very similar.

I’m a little in this comment. Lurked without joining for a while, joined but mostly like to read and learn based on the discussions happening. I don’t chime in a lot, but certainly don’t want to be seen as a FB flipper. I can’t really stand Facebook and I don’t think I’ve ever sold a knife that I bought!
I’ve sold knives, never for more than what I paid for it.
Looks like no matter what I won’t be eligible for this knife. Oh well. Congrats in advance to those that will. Maybe there will be a regular run of an 86.

GEC may put a limit on the production number for these if it interferes too much with how Bill wants to make his other knives. If he allows us 500 we may only get to do one apiece. If there is no limit I don’t see why folks shouldn’t get as many as they want. We’ve spent WAY more time talking about flippers turning a profit on forum knives than the few flippers have in turning their few $100s of profit. I say we try to enjoy the process and not get overly worried about who is genuine or not. The mods can use the list they already have and add to it if this year presents its average (small) number of flippers. Don’t let the few flies distract from the lovely meal we’re being offered.

I’ve sold knives, never for more than what I paid for it.
Looks like no matter what I won’t be eligible for this knife. Oh well. Congrats in advance to those that will. Maybe there will be a regular run of an 86.

you’ve been a member since 2016. They’ve made exceptions for longer time members with some activity as long as it was heavily in marketplace. Sit down, get to know people and you never know what might happen. Often, people buy a few a pick the best then resell here and they often pick people who are newer but proven not here to profit from our kinship.

GEC may put a limit on the production number for these if it interferes too much with how Bill wants to make his other knives. If he allows us 500 we may only get to do one apiece. If there is no limit I don’t see why folks shouldn’t get as many as they want. We’ve spent WAY more time talking about flippers turning a profit on forum knives than the few flippers have in turning their few $100s of profit. I say we try to enjoy the process and not get overly worried about who is genuine or not. The mods can use the list they already have and add to it if this year presents its average (small) number of flippers. Don’t let the few flies distract from the lovely meal we’re being offered.

well said!
Thanks Charlie!

What a relief! Looks like I'm off the hook for scrimming 500 canoes.

I like them blank...for now;)
Can I get a bunny rabbit on mine? Narwal on the pile side, I think...

One of my favorite things about Barlows is the bolster stamp, but the rat-tail/lined bolster on the mock-up looks great and might make up for it being plain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back