The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thinking out loud here...
I always feel bad and i'm very thankful to the vendors that put so much effort into collecting money and shipping the knives, all at no profit. Why couldn't we let the vendors put a small etch for advertisement purposes on the blade. I know nobody likes etches, but it would be a nice "thank you" for all that they do for us.

Last edited:
This thread is going like a bushfire up a hill.

It would be neat if there was something stamped on the bolster. Maybe an anchor?
I like it but afraid there would maybe trademark infringement concerns..

This’ll be a good one. I’m definitely in for at least one.

Have the next steps and order list been hashed out yet?
Standby ...the longboat aint even in the water yet.

No feathers ruffled :thumbsup: I just see a lot of comments (and now threads apparently) targeting genuinely good groups like mine that are outside of BF. I understand some of the concern from others, but it is mostly unwarranted.

I am looking forward to the forum knife this year and very excited it is happening at all - peace :thumbsup:
Well said Sir..we dont discriminate on this Ship....except for Flippers...we hate Them to a man.

I’m a little in this comment. Lurked without joining for a while, joined but mostly like to read and learn based on the discussions happening. I don’t chime in a lot, but certainly don’t want to be seen as a FB flipper. I can’t really stand Facebook and I don’t think I’ve ever sold a knife that I bought!

Then Welcome aboard Mister..

My kind of collector!!:thumbsup:
Actually I've sold a few, only for fear of being buried!!:eek::D
Have you thought about giving any away?:):eek: or perhaps a storage facility?:D

I think the reason behind having a significant post count has to do with being a member that contributes to conversations or at least shares their admiration for knives as well as their opinion. So if only lurking, thats not being involved at all. I think im on the low end of involvement myself. Im not sure how fair it would be to limit sales to paying members since we contribute monetarily to the forum, but it is a thought. Maybe, the higher the membership level, more they can purchase. Another idea is, a member can buy 2 if over 1,000 posts, 3 if over 2,000 posts, and so on. I would only get one, but the more dedicated members would have more available to them.
Mmmmmm sounds simple in theory...but who would have the time to collate and organise it?

Perhaps a narwhale?
A Narwhale with some flippers impaled on its nose.

GEC may put a limit on the production number for these if it interferes too much with how Bill wants to make his other knives. If he allows us 500 we may only get to do one apiece. If there is no limit I don’t see why folks shouldn’t get as many as they want. We’ve spent WAY more time talking about flippers turning a profit on forum knives than the few flippers have in turning their few $100s of profit. I say we try to enjoy the process and not get overly worried about who is genuine or not. The mods can use the list they already have and add to it if this year presents its average (small) number of flippers. Don’t let the few flies distract from the lovely meal we’re being offered.
Very true...flippers or "bilge vermin" as I prefer to know them will always be with us. Never let them detract from our voyage.

Welp, can’t believe it’s actually happening, but I’m glad it’s another run of the 86. That knife was almost perfect, but the NW style blade has never connected for me (also I never got over not going with the reverse Orleans shield in that one).

I just want the a simple Tidioute style clip and do whatever you want with the rest and I’ll be happy (except I still want a GEC w a reverse Orleans shield, so...).

Last edited:
What a relief! Looks like I'm off the hook for scrimming 500 canoes.

Can I get a bunny rabbit on mine? Narwal on the pile side, I think...

One of my favorite things about Barlows is the bolster stamp, but the rat-tail/lined bolster on the mock-up looks great and might make up for it being plain.

How do you feel about scrimming 500 Barlows?:D:D

I didn’t try to read them all. It’s easy enough to see how they are running. Just chimed in to say, yes, I’d buy one.

Ok how about this

KLUhAZQ.jpg

Obviously the horn will drive up the price but I am ok with that :p (joking - I know that horn is no longer used by GEC)

But seriously, I think we should consider a flat bolster and/or an engraved flat bolster. I don’t know of any other GECs that have this, it would be a first.

For those interested in Jno Baker http://www.auspostalhistory.com/articles/1932.shtml

Last edited:
I feel there was some extra stress last year around the horn covers as no one knew what was in the box.

I think they were all good but there were some that were gooder.

Any natural material scales would need to be something very consistent.

My kind of collector!!:thumbsup:
Actually I've sold a few, only for fear of being buried!!:eek::D

Don’t have a huge collection yet, but I’m working on it. Got a couple that I really love so far, plenty to keep me on the hook trying for more!

Wow if these happen they'll be absolutely stunning! What a great looking Barlow! I also vote to let Charlie & Bill choose covers! Or maybe two different scales on each side lol.

I really do not care what the covers are as long as they are a Very Good Red Sawcut Bone like the early 2015 77 Northfield Barlows .

Harry

Yeah wait I want to add red to my list. Maybe yellow dyed too. Just nothing orange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back