The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the red or autumn gold bone... smooth, sawcut, both are gorgeous! To me, Osage Orange is tough, but ages into a fairly boring shade of medium brown. With those fluted bolsters, dressier bone covers make more sense. To me.

Thanks Charlie, Barry, and Spark for making this happen!

I love the red or autumn gold bone... smooth, sawcut, both are gorgeous! To me, Osage Orange is tough, but ages into a fairly boring shade of medium brown. With those fluted bolsters, dressier bone covers make more sense. To me.

Thanks Charlie, Barry, and Spark for making this happen!
I agree with you Eric . At my age , this may be my last Forum Knife or last New Barlow , it would be nice to make it not fairly boring as you suggest .

Harry

Here are some options for covers to get y’all thinking

xeieqar.jpg
VRzUlvn.jpg
Pb9k6aZ.jpg
Those are some really nice examples of covers! I was hoping to see some sawcut purple delrin with gold glitter. oh well. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p

GEC has done a sawcut barlow heaps of times now. Examples include

brown and green sawcut 77s
ragg bone copperhead 14
Cranberry red TC 15 2017
Ancient muscatine TC 15
Antique yellow TC 15 2013
Rust red TC barlow 2013
Etc

For me, looking over those photos the ragg bone is the nicest as it has the most character, and the rust red was the nicest color.

Something about the mockup is just lacking a certain something. Perhaps going with a ragg bone would do the trick.

Or, perhaps a smooth ragg bone in autumn gold or ivory?

Just now catching up on this thread, and not sure how this is all working, but I’d like in on one (or two if allowed) if it’s not too late.

Well, I haven't posted for awhile due mostly to time constraints lately, but I will go ahead and chime in. As Charlie said in an earlier post, Spark willing, I will handle the distribution of the 2021 BF club knife. Details are not available yet as to purchasing specifics so please be patient while we figure it out. There will likely be different listings for one or two knives, US or international, etc.

As to the knife itself, the 86 is a beauty and I really like the bolster treatment. I think covers should be simple and consistent and so favor bone or wood. Stag is out for international distribution due to the recent and confusing laws concerning some materials including stag and some exotic woods. Smooth Autumn Gold bone or Osage Orange wood are my choices for covers. The blade is a good choice and probably most popular with members, but I would like to see something other than the common crescent nail nick; I'd like to see a French nail nick or perhaps a matchstrike style crescent or long nail nick. Maybe even a cut out nail nick like the Scagel models just to make it stand out from the ordinary. Whatever, I'm inclined to let Charlie and Bill work out the mfg. details and I'm fine with the results and very pleased that the forum knife is a GEC product again this year.

A final note: the secret handshake required to purchase the 2021 BF Club Knife was to be disclosed at the 2021 OKCA Show in April but will now be demonstrated at the next OKCA Show. (not really)
Love the Osage idea.

But what in this whole wide world is more beautiful than a simple, classic, well-placed, crescent nail nick with a hand-drawn swedge??

cFx87tP.jpg

(Perhaps only one thing.....a classic crescent nail nick with a hand-drawn swedge on a knife with.....narwhal covers. :p)

Somebody put a lot of effort in the design of the mock up. It's fluted with rattail and pinched. I hope we get lucky enough to get it the way it looks currently.

You aren’t the first to post this but I have to say I really don’t get the logic. Drawing a pinched bolster would take about, what, ten seconds? Control Z to remove it.

All those little details are easy to change and, for me, the curent design isn’t quite there.

And for those that say that we should be grateful of having any knife at all. Too right! We are all grateful. But how does that effect the choice of, say, a saw cut brown and a smooth autumn gold?

Button ... would be neat to get a button with the knife like so many other GEC knives
After all, how many BF knives have come with buttons? ... don't know what I'd do with it though ;)

Well, yes my friend, of course !
My BF 2019 has a very refined taste. Out of the tube it absolutely refused to touch spam but readily agreed for some fine Corned Beef … which just crumbled at the sight of its sabre grind :D

1NHv6aL.jpg

IoSrAxS.jpg

lhUsXk6.jpg

wwFIKxQ.jpg

That's it! Tasty stuff and your nice little dog seems to love it too. My cat really fancies it, but got to keep the horseradish away from the bits I feed her :eek::D

I propose Corned Beef Jigged Bone- could be anything at all :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back