The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this is all non-binding, meaning it could all get overturned and GEC could put whatever they like on it- faux wood in plastic :eek::poop: But let's keep the tempo upbeat and the bar high: if only they could do Horsecut Jigged Bone again then they'd out do themselves :cool::thumbsup:

Dreams are on and free, nightmares may follow ;)

Only own one GEC Barlow (from a 2013 run) with smooth ivory bone, but it has always been a looker. I’m good with any natural cover though, just don’t care for Micarta on a traditional pocketknife. OH
GEC_153213_Barlow.jpg

Somebody put a lot of effort in the design of the mock up. It's fluted with rattail and pinched. I hope we get lucky enough to get it the way it looks currently.

I agree I'd love to see it done in Saw cut bone and it's just my opinion but the Fluted / Rat Tailed Bolsters are enough I don't think this one would look good with a Bolster Stamp as well.

Last edited:
Since this is all non-binding, meaning it could all get overturned and GEC could put whatever they like on it- faux wood in plastic :eek::poop: But let's keep the tempo upbeat and the bar high: if only they could do Horsecut Jigged Bone again then they'd out do themselves :cool::thumbsup:

Dreams are on and free, nightmares may follow ;)

Horse cut bone would look superb on this knife and frame what with there being a comparatively large expanse of material to show it off!

I'm in the Sawcut bone camp but smooth bone could be nice as well. Not to keen on wood covers on this knife unless they are blackwood.
Have to agree with you on the Sawcut bone; soup bone is kind of cool too. I also like "blackwood" like Ebony. Hard as nails and very elegant. Also prefer the large shield like the one on Charlie's "Black Jack".

You aren’t the first to post this but I have to say I really don’t get the logic. Drawing a pinched bolster would take about, what, ten seconds? Control Z to remove it.

All those little details are easy to change and, for me, the curent design isn’t quite there.

And for those that say that we should be grateful of having any knife at all. Too right! We are all grateful. But how does that effect the choice of, say, a saw cut brown and a smooth autumn gold?

I feel like, but could be wrong, GEC reserves using all 3 bolster features together for special knives. Washington Jack comes to mind.

Love the Osage idea.

But what in this whole wide world is more beautiful than a simple, classic, well-placed, crescent nail nick with a hand-drawn swedge??

cFx87tP.jpg

(Perhaps only one thing.....a classic crescent nail nick with a hand-drawn swedge on a knife with.....narwhal covers. :p)
Oh, I like that idea bit we need to add glitter to it.

No idea how GEC smooth ivory bone stands up but a 2015 natural smooth bone Northwoods Indian River Jack (Queen made) I have, sure has soaked up some handling oils and turned a kinda grotty yellow brown color in some areas. Guess it depends on how often a knife is carried and used of course ... and maybe the hand.

No idea how GEC smooth ivory bone stands up but a 2015 natural smooth bone Northwoods Indian River Jack (Queen made) I have, sure has soaked up some handling oils and turned a kinda grotty yellow brown color in some areas. Guess it depends on how often a knife is carried and used of course ... and maybe the hand.
this is my experience with white covers as well, unless they are kept in a pocket slip.

i am a fan of sawcut, of sawcut in combination with a color like Dark Chestnut, with its brown and antique yellow parts and the slanted borders.
i also like a classy look like the #86 BF knife in African Blackwood.

please dont 'overload' the knife with more details,.
with the lined and fluted bolster and the crescent Blade forums Tang Mark, the knife looks just beautiful and perfect.

one more word to the Osage wood, especially the sawcut Osage wood...
the grain and color of Osage wood looks great on a knife with an ancient/antique/vitage finish/style,
imho it would not be the best choice for this 2021 #86 Blade Forums Oild Field Barlow.

btw... why not take the well known Sucker Rod Wood again?

#861121 Bf Knife 2021-2.jpg

#77 + #15 chestnut sawcut bone-2.jpg

#77 + #15 chestnut sawcut bone-3.jpg

#86 sucker rod1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back