The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My goD !!! You've done well with that collection Rachel. Simply stunning !!! STUNNING
Thank you. It's been a slow and selective accumulation.

I agree with you my friend . Unless this knife has Steel or Nickel Liners and Pins , a White Bone Knife will end up a VERY UGLY GREENISH color if they carry it without a Slip . And then they may very well see it also developing from being handled . The Beautiful White will be GONE . This is coming from a guy who does like White Bone , but they are all basically Safe Queens . This is what you get .

Harry
That is the unfortunate risk of white bone. I feel like this Big Barlow should be a working knife, so if the liners are to be brass (do we know if they will be?) I guess I'd change my vote to a light brown sawcut bone.

o5esU6o.jpg

Mw4i6Il.jpg
That's the stuff!
zxVqUpE.jpg

Strongly in the bone camp. If the desire is to pair with the 2019 knife, white bone does just as well without being redundant. Truthfully, there are many colors of bone that would look good next the 2019 knife. Blue, red, green, yellow, etc. It's black after all.

That said, I love the idea of a smooth autumn bone, or an chestnut sawcut as they are simply my favorite color bone handles.

Agree with bone as the favorite cover material, generally speaking. Red, blue, green, amber, white, rotten/ripe/normal banana, sawcut, jigged, smooth, soup... so many options out there. And almost all of them end up looking fantastic.

I agree with you my friend . Unless this knife has Steel or Nickel Liners and Pins , a White Bone Knife will end up a VERY UGLY GREENISH color if they carry it without a Slip . And then they may very well see it also developing from being handled . The Beautiful White will be GONE

does stabilized white bone take the same effect?

I can not answer your question on that . I do not know if the knives that I have with the problem had the Stag or White Bone stabilized . I just do not take the chance anymore .
Harry

I've just been skimming thru the last 20 pages or so and I'm thoroughly confused. It's difficult to tell the difference between what's real and what's just a "wish list" item and I may have munged a lot of it together incorrectly. This happens to me a lot, but I'm getting used to it. To get it clear in my mind, let me summarize what I have read:

It's a single blade GEC 86 barlow with a spear point on the mark side and a clip point on the pile side; the letters "BF2021" (entwined) on the bolster (one side only); covers made from sawcut polished autumn ebony delrin encrusted with purple glitter that light up with a heavenly Osage Orange glow when partially opened (Half/Stop mode); a smooth white bone flipperazzi shield (which looks like a dollar sign) on the side opposite the bolster letters; packaged in GEC's new tube design which looks like a can of Spam; an etching that has "Get of my Lawn" in large letters above a smaller "4962 of 66,418" to discourage flippers; lastly, something about a narwhale (I don't know what that is, but I think it has something to do with the backspring).

Please correct me if I have any of the details wrong or have left anything out. Like I said, my head is a little overwhelmed right now...

Mark

Unsure, suppose all bone is in some way stabilized before use anyway?

However, many of my Stag knives and some light coloured bones with brass liners have been stricken by verdigris :thumbsdown: Even Muslin Micarta has gone green...:eek: It may be to do with the sweat, oils, chemical makeup of any given individual but I green up brass fast.

The answer for Ivory Bone and Stag is non brass liners :)

Unsure, suppose all bone is in some way stabilized before use anyway?

i dont know what exactly you mean with ''in some way stabilized before use''

my guess is, that only some are stabilized (and described as stabilized) but most are not.
for example the
Northfield Un-X-LD - #86 Oil Field Jack - Stabilized Smooth White Bone

I've just been skimming thru the last 20 pages or so and I'm thoroughly confused. It's difficult to tell the difference between what's real and what's just a "wish list" item and I may have munged a lot of it together incorrectly. This happens to me a lot, but I'm getting used to it. To get it clear in my mind, let me summarize what I have read:

It's a single blade GEC 86 barlow with a spear point on the mark side and a clip point on the pile side; the letters "BF2021" (entwined) on the bolster (one side only); covers made from sawcut polished autumn ebony delrin encrusted with purple glitter that light up with a heavenly Osage Orange glow when partially opened (Half/Stop mode); a smooth white bone flipperazzi shield (which looks like a dollar sign) on the side opposite the bolster letters; packaged in GEC's new tube design which looks like a can of Spam; an etching that has "Get of my Lawn" in large letters above a smaller "4962 of 66,418" to discourage flippers; lastly, something about a narwhale (I don't know what that is, but I think it has something to do with the backspring).

Please correct me if I have any of the details wrong or have left anything out. Like I said, my head is a little overwhelmed right now...

Mark
You got it exactly correct Mark except the Narwhale Flippers part. Way to hang in there on the details .
Harry

Mark
I think, if I understood correctly, the blade etch is a narwhal with Charlie’s face on it. :D

Ok now to the next important question - should the bolster be flat or radiussed?

YeECYdM.jpg

My favourite for ergonomics is a radiussed handle transitioning into a flat bolster - similar to the sheffield knives pictured above, and this one:

3lyNsdc.jpg

wH5DrjH.jpg

I don’t know of any barlows that GEC has made with a flattened bolster. But it looks cool!

Uni0gyP.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back