The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, what? You didn't see anything saying it was a favor run for Charlie and BF? Go back and read the first, fifteen, twenty pages of this thread. GEC announced that they weren't doing SFOs anymore last year, and Charlie made it clear early in this thread that a GEC Forum Knife was absolutely NOT a sure thing, and then he offered (very kindly) to approach Bill directly about the possibility of doing a knife for us. Possibility, that means "not a sure thing". Charlie used these words in this thread. Thanks to his request, Bill seemed amenable and came back with a mockup that has us (and everybody on the two GEC Facebook groups) excited. So, Bill comes back with a mockup of something he MIGHT make for us (IE: Bladeforums, not anywhere else), and as of now, isn't a sure thing, and you felt it "relatively reasonable" to ask Bill if some other club could have their knife be a part of a knife run that Bill was possibly thinking of making for Bladeforums? That is a sincere lack of judgement, as far as I'm concerned. As for why I wouldn't want to be you, you just exhaustively explained it yourself above. You saw no issue in deciding to ask Bill to add something for another group, to something he hinted that he might be amenable to making for us (Bladeforums, not any other group).

You keep talking about all this "enthusiasm and excitement" you had. Sure seems like the enthusiasm and excitement you had was for the possibility of some other group riding BF and Charlie Campagna's coat-tails, and frankly that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and sure seems to have struck others similarly. So, to clarify*, when I said I wouldn't want to be you, I meant, I wouldn't want to be the guy who got the Bladeforums 2021 knife cancelled because I was trying to glom some other club's knife onto our order and Bill decided to pass on the whole thing. As is, it's 100% clear that no matter how many GEC make of the BF knife, it won't be enough, and those totals aren't even decided yet. Adding knives for some other club makes zero sense.

* As you seem to have failed to comprehend what I was getting at in polite fashion above.

Thanks for the clarification :)

B B.F.U response doesn’t seem too far out of line, I think his initial post had more sting than actual value. Other clubs certainly have their annual knives in talks at the same time as we are discussing our traditional forum knife so piggybacking on patterns is common.

Sounds like Bill was probably just passing along some uncertainty to keep things on the slow and steady without opening himself to the floodgates.

You know, going back and rereading the giant walls of text that were written, something jumped out at me:

There was no hassling. The AMKCA has been in continual discussion with Bill / GEC about a 2021 club knife. I just mentioned the mockup to the person who was scheduled to talk with Bill about club knife possibilities. There, as far as I know, was never any question of whether AMKCA would not have a club knife made by GEC in 2021, just what the pattern would be. In fact, Bill had suggested and made a mock up of another pattern that I was really excited about that I haven't posted anywhere because Bill said not to let the word out and I believe in respecting that when it's requested. I simply thought that if a run of #86s was being run that a few (AMKCA literally gets like 20-40 knives) could be made in a different cover material or something. It's what has been done for the AMKCA club knives for the last 3+ years, and what was suggested might be happening for this forum knife, and what GEC just did for OKCA on the #38s.

So, let me see if I have this straight. Bill Howard had already provided a mockup for a possible AMKCA knife...and you decided to have it requested that they simply make more of the proposed BF #86 Barlow instead? Am I seeing this correctly? So, you guys already have a suggested Club Knife pattern/mockup from Bill, but you and "Wes"* thought of asking Bill to....I mean, really? You guys already had a mockup, but decided you like our knife more? Wow, there's a saying about gift-horses and quitting while you're ahead, but damned if I remember how they go right now.

Wow.

* No idea who that is.

Seems like an honest mistake made with the best intentions, I can't believe all the venom here over that.

Y'all are acting like Bill called you up and told you he wasn't doing the knife now.... because of how someone paraphrased their interpretation of a PHONE conversation?

Everybody needs to pour a bourbon or their favorite other method of relaxation and chill the F out.

You know, going back and rereading the giant walls of text that were written, something jumped out at me:

So, let me see if I have this straight. Bill Howard had already provided a mockup for a possible AMKCA knife...and you decided to have it requested that they simply make more of the proposed BF #86 Barlow instead? Am I seeing this correctly? So, you guys already have a suggested Club Knife pattern/mockup from Bill, but you and "Wes"* thought of asking Bill to....I mean, really? You guys already had a mockup, but decided you like our knife more? Wow, there's a saying about gift-horses and quitting while you're ahead, but damned if I remember how they go right now.

Wow.

* No idea who that is.

I had the same thought: Special club knife, secret mockup... Nah gimme the bladeforums one with some different covers thanks.

Seems like an honest mistake made with the best intentions, I can't believe all the venom here over that.

Y'all are acting like Bill called you up and told you he wasn't doing the knife now.... because of how someone paraphrased their interpretation of a PHONE conversation?

Everybody needs to pour a bourbon or their favorite other method of relaxation and chill the F out.

I've said my piece, and won't debate it further here. I'll close with this. The "best intentions" sure seem to have been "Thanks for showing us a possible knife for our club, but we want what you've suggested for Bladeforums instead, thanks!". (said in the voice of Pippen asking "What, what abow' SEEECON' Breeefist?")

One can almost admire the gall. I'm sure Bill did. o_O

Wow.

* No idea who that is.

Wow, I'm really shocked that you've assumed you know what happened.

No, you don't have it straight. I won't give any info on the knife because I keep my word, but it seems like the knife wasn't going to work out for the club.

I really think it's unfortunate the degree to which you're misunderstanding the process. Charlie said the forum knife was likely to be a part of a general run. Club knives are typically tacked on to larger runs. They are still doing it, as evidenced by the #38 for OKCA that is literally on GEC's site right now. So I don't know where this idea of the #86 pattern being exclusive to BladeForums came from.

B B.F.U response doesn’t seem too far out of line, I think his initial post had more sting than actual value. Other clubs certainly have their annual knives in talks at the same time as we are discussing our traditional forum knife so piggybacking on patterns is common.

Sounds like Bill was probably just passing along some uncertainty to keep things on the slow and steady without opening himself to the floodgates.

Yep, it happens every year.

Who knew I had so much sway and Bill was so fickle? Certainly not me.

Wow, I'm really shocked that you've assumed you know what happened.

No, you don't have it straight. I won't give any info on the knife because I keep my word, but it seems like the knife wasn't going to work out for the club.

I really think it's unfortunate the degree to which you're misunderstanding the process. Charlie said the forum knife was likely to be a part of a general run. Club knives are typically tacked on to larger runs. They are still doing it, as evidenced by the #38 for OKCA that is literally on GEC's site right now. So I don't know where this idea of the #86 pattern being exclusive to BladeForums came from.

Despite having more to say, I'll pass on that and just offer my condolences that your club's secret mockup from Bill wasn't going to work out. :)

I think all of this commotion speaks in volumes of how excited everyone is. Regardless of what happens, I thank all you forum members for the mere chance of having been considered!

From what I've been reading, the Forum knife has always been a kind gesture by those involved intimately, and not a must. For that, hats off to Charlie, Bill, Barry, Spark, Gary, Frank, and all those involved and am grateful!

Just have my fingers crossed that it will come to fruition and we'll all benefit from it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back