The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a lot to like about Smooth Bone, certain practicalities too. Even solid colours like Dark Reds or Dark Green could be attractive but I do like that Calico for sure.

Here's Appaloosa on a 56

dsHC3NT.jpg

That, is lovely!

Don

I was in a home improvement store here recently and that gave me an idea for a handle cover material. Bamboo! It is used for many things such as flooring.
How about something outside of the typical slipjoint box?
How about simple titanium handles?

I was in a home improvement store here recently and that gave me an idea for a handle cover material. Bamboo! It is used for many things such as flooring.
How about something outside of the typical slipjoint box?
How about simple titanium handles?

That'd be an interesting choice of covers. Bamboo flooring is usually a laminate. Bamboo grass is strong, but pretty porous and would need to be stabilized. I'm not sure it would look all that appealing to be honest.

As far as titanium goes... I have my doubts that GEC is set up to mill a material like that.

That'd be an interesting choice of covers. Bamboo flooring is usually a laminate. Bamboo grass is strong, but pretty porous and would need to be stabilized. I'm not sure it would look all that appealing to be honest.

As far as titanium goes... I have my doubts that GEC is set up to mill a material like that.

You have a point there. The black walnut suggestion is a really appealing one.

Another idea would be a nice purple bone for scales. Smooth I think would look nice.

Before the hate mail starts I seem to remember GEC doing a purple jigged bone handle for the model 78. It is not an outrageous idea since they have done something similar.

Last edited:
I'll almost always vote in favor of jigged bone covers, preferably horse cut if possible. However I wouldn't complain about having deep saw cut bone or smooth wood like ebony. Heck, I don't think I could bring myself to complain about this knife no matter how it comes out unless glitter is involved. Even then, who knows.

Thanks Charlie for keeping this moving forward. I think soup bone would be about perfect, followed by sawcut bone, with deep cuts. Either of these would get my vote.

Those calicos and Appaloosas look nice. I think saw cut bone would be my top choice, with smooth bone or smooth wood next. If we go with sawcut bone, I think the bone should be two-tone. Solid-colored sawcut bone can look a bit plastic to me. If we go with wood, I prefer a plain, less grainy wood. I’m not sure if grainy wood like iron wood or snake wood will look good on a Barlow.

I don't buy knives with animal-derived scales, excluding naturally-shed antler, so I vote wood (if we're ruling out synthetics) or micarta (my first choice if synthetics are an option, because I love its character, durability, and resistance to shrinkage). I'm pretty neutral on finishing options, although jigged wood is something I've always wanted to try and I love how GEC does theirs. :cool:

If we land on bone/horn/etc. I won't be able to buy a knife, but I'll cheer the project along from the sidelines just like I did last year after ram's horn won out -- and look forward to everyone's photos later on in the year. :):thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back