The Upcoming and Past Toothpick Thread

I received my first Toothpick today and as usual, when it comes to a new knife, particularly one that is a new pattern, I like to give some thoughts on it.

The Toothpick pattern is one that has rarely caught my interest. It isn't that I find the knife unattractive, I just am not generally drawn to knives with slender profiles and too many curves. I find beauty in subtle simplicity and I think the Toothpick is anything but that. I initially was going to take a pass on GEC's current production of these but the cover/shield options, favorable opinions of other folks, and the simple fact that I am still into trying new things, I decided to take the plunge.

This first example is with Che Chen Rosewood covers, brushed nickel bolsters, and a serpentine shield.

• Fit and Finish: Another remarkable knife from GEC. Their last few production runs (85s excepted...) have been notably consistent in terrific fit and finish. Seamless transitions, excellent inlet of the shield, perfect blade centering, it is pretty hard for me to find any issues here. Very well done.
  • Walk & Talk/Pull: This knife has no half stop and so I was a little concerned that the pull would be on the lighter side. I am rather surprised and quite pleased to say that the pull is pretty darn perfect and the snap to both open and closed positions is quite satisfying and this is before any sort of flushing has occurred! Bearing in mind that pull weights are subjective, I'd rate this at about a 6, maybe closer to a 7. Very satisfactory, hard to imagine that it could be better.
  • Covers: Che Chen Rosewood is, in my opinion, a rather unremarkable wood. It is not displeasing but neither does it elicit any sense of wonder or awe like other more exotic woods. So I was not expecting anything spectacular, just good straight grained, utilitarian wood. The wood I received is quite good, all things considering. The brushed finish on the bolsters and shield do a significant disservice to an already relatively plain wood but this can easily be remedied with a bit of polish. I imagine with some good use and exposure, the wood will darken rather nicely as well.
  • Shield: I was very pleased to find that GEC was not using the hotdog shield on this run. I think the serpentine is a nice change and suits the lines of the knife rather well.
  • Blade: As mentioned above, a perfectly centered muskrat (turkish?) clip blade that is executed very well in its grinds, suitably sharp out of the tube, and not featuring a proud tip.

My overall impressions of this knife are positive. I am still getting a feel for the pattern but so far, it feels good in the hand, I find it to be an excellent size, and I suspect that it will make an effective user. Really though, brushed metal and speculation regarding the pattern aside, this is a pretty darn perfect knife from GEC. I think they did a fabulous job. I am very much looking forward to the other variations, especially the Stag.

Enough of the yapping, here are some pictures:

eeC18SH.jpg

WJSmBfG.jpg

iLM88t7.jpg

uYR6tKU.jpg

0aSNj2E.jpg

And, of course, the parting glamour shot:

MBfUrXJ.jpg

Great write up! and incredible knife!

I had absolutely no plans to get a #12 but this is making me second guess that. Maybe I'll try to get one at the Rendezvous.

I am in the middle of a frame up restoration of a 1971 Ford F100.

These are not my pictures or trucks but I had a 66 F100 that was pristine traded it for a 63 Chevy Apache 10 that had a "bolt on build" my buddy was a gearhead and had put a 396 in it with a 400 turbo tranny it had headers, highrise intake 1100 cfm Holley just bolt on stuff but she sure was fast.

53d3bd36c9cc140d1e384991a281476d.jpg

63-chevy_c10_DSC00754.jpg

I received my first Toothpick today and as usual, when it comes to a new knife, particularly one that is a new pattern, I like to give some thoughts on it.

Excellent write up Dylan you almost persuaded me to buy one I just can't bring myself to purchase another toothpick pattern I just don't care for the pattern even though they are both an iconic and well loved pattern they're just not for me. Old trucks on the other hand...........:D:rolleyes:

Very nice write up and great pics as always :):thumbsup: I totally agree this run of 12's has been really well done thus far and this Rosewood version will look better with age.

Thank you, Darren. I am certainly hope that the rest of the run matches this rosewood in excellence.

Pàdruig Pàdruig Thanks, Dylan. I always enjoy your thorough reviews coupled with excellent pictures.

I like everything about the knife except for 2 things -- one of which I can easily "fix" (satin finish)

And one I can do nothing about... except not look at it. :D

The serpentine shield wrecks the aesthetics. Its placement in relation to the pins makes it look crooked to my eyes. And I don't mean serpentine crooked; I mean placement crooked. There's really no other placement that would make it not look crooked. It is just OFF. To my eyes, at least.

I really wish GEC would deep-six that shield. I can't imagine a pattern where the serpentine shield would look better than a square bar or round bar shield. But that's just me.

Thank you, Al. You make a good point regarding that shield. I don't have the same aversion to it as you but if I do look at it too closely, I definitely see what you are saying. I almost feel that a serpentine shield would need to be longer to more adequately match the curves of the knife.

I think a round bar shield would have looked rather superb on this one and I would certainly give that the nod over the serpentine. The other shield options on the regular run Toothpicks (Houndstooth and Propeller) are intriguing choices and I look forward to experiencing those as well.

Pàdruig Pàdruig - Great post Dylan. I am looking forward to the rest of the toothpicks. That rosewood is far nicer than I expected. Beautiful pics as always.

Thank you, Dwight. It is a rather plain wood but not in any manner that would cause me to dislike it. I think it will age beautifully. The real roll of the dice will be that camel bone... Will I get a dark or a light one? A mottled or swirled one? A clownish mismatch or a refined pairing?

It will be fun to find out.

Great write up! and incredible knife!

I had absolutely no plans to get a #12 but this is making me second guess that. Maybe I'll try to get one at the Rendezvous.

Thank you, Logan. I am more pleased with the pattern than I thought I would be. I definitely plan to make one or two of the ones I get as everyday users. I think this Che Chen will be one of them and maybe the Stag if I am able to land one.

These are not my pictures or trucks but I had a 66 F100 that was pristine traded it for a 63 Chevy Apache 10 that had a "bolt on build" my buddy was a gearhead and had put a 396 in it with a 400 turbo tranny it had headers, highrise intake 1100 cfm Holley just bolt on stuff but she sure was fast.

53d3bd36c9cc140d1e384991a281476d.jpg

63-chevy_c10_DSC00754.jpg

It's good to hear from you, Randy. I should mention that my frame up restoration will be including a lot of bolt on improvements. I plan to make it a bit of a classy hot rod. It already has a 390 in it and I think I may just stick with that. I've got the engine pulled and on a stand and am just waiting for my brother to get his shop cleared so I can remove the cab and bed, roll the frame in, and set to work.

Excellent write up Dylan you almost persuaded me to buy one I just can't bring myself to purchase another toothpick pattern I just don't care for the pattern even though they are both an iconic and well loved pattern they're just not for me. Old trucks on the other hand...........:D:rolleyes:

Thank you, my friend. The Toothpick is certainly a knife that hasn't been on my radar. Previously, I only had one that my birth mother gifted to me. It is very small but it does have some neat scrimshaw on it. The GEC #12 certainly dwarfs it and is far more usable, in my opinion.

vbGcAOX.jpg

I'm really torn on this run. I definitely want to pick one up, but only one, and I can't decide which (great problem to have). I'm thinking a ponycut Northfield or maybe the camel Tidioute. I'm a sucker for chechen rosewood, but for some reason, the others are calling me. The red jigged is tempting, too. Oh dear. :confused:

Last edited:
Pàdruig Pàdruig The serpentine shield wrecks the aesthetics. Its placement in relation to the pins makes it look crooked to my eyes. And I don't mean serpentine crooked; I mean placement crooked. There's really no other placement that would make it not look crooked. It is just OFF. To my eyes, at least.

I really wish GEC would deep-six that shield. I can't imagine a pattern where the serpentine shield would look better than a square bar or round bar shield. But that's just me.
When GEC first came out with the serpentine, I thought it was cool in theory, but didn't translate well in practice. But I just fell in love with it on those #82 stockmans in natural canvas. It just looked outstanding, in my opinion. I had no intention of buying one, but found myself snapping one up. On these 12s...I'm not sure. The jury is still out for me.

I'm really torn on this run. I definitely want to pick one up, but only one, and I can't decide which (great problem to have). I'm thinking a ponycut Northfield or maybe the camel Tidioute. I'm a sucker for chechen rosewood, but for some reason, the others are calling me. The red jigged is tempting, too. Oh dear. :confused:
I think all of the Tidioutes so far turned out pretty nice :) Tough call to pick just one from the run.
The serpentine shield seems to work really well on the 66 too :thumbsup:

I think all of the Tidioutes so far turned out pretty nice :) Tough call to pick just one from the run.
The serpentine shield seems to work really well on the 66 too :thumbsup:
I think I have to agree with you on the Tidioutes, waverave waverave . I almost always prefer the Tidioutes and I think this is no different. May have to grab a camel. They seem to be dropping from the sky as we speak (errr...type).

I received the Chechen Rosewood earlier in the week. I really like it and like it more than I thought I would. It has good closing snap and strong opening snap, but not too strong pull - and I still need to flush the pivot and spring. Also, it fits smaller in my hand than most four inch (closed) knives do.
gec-12-toothpick__91254.1557176458.jpg
Need to get some of my own pictures.

So you're the one that cart robbed me! :)

No worries, my wife will thank you.

Beautiful knife though
It is a small world. I am sorry about that. I’d have been alright with not getting one, but this one called to me. I haven’t bought a knife from KSF for quite a while, but today my timing was good.

Beautiful. I love the color.

Trav, that might be the best shield ever for that #12 pattern . . . a beauty, for sure!

P.S.- You enabler, you! I just bought one in the aqua camel bone, couldn't resist. :confused:
The shield does work well with this pattern.

You know better than to hang out on Blade Forums if don’t want to buy knives. waverave waverave was my enabler. When he let me know about the nice action and firm pull of his Che Chen Rosewood version, I knew I would probably pick one up.

Last edited:
Back