The Upcoming and Past Toothpick Thread

Got my #12 SFO Toothpick knife from Frank today. I like it a lot. Great fit and finish, blade centered just right, and snap is perfect. This is my first Toothpick from GEC. I like the size of this knife.....feels really good in the hand.

Oh BTW, in the box with the knife was a surprise. Frank sent me this nice display! It has 2 magnified pins to hold the knife in place. It works perfectly. Thanks a lot Frank!
Larry
View attachment 1132447 View attachment 1132448 View attachment 1132449 View attachment 1132450 View attachment 1132451
Nice!

Since the mottled coloration of camel bone due to the way it accepts dye is what I find interesting about this material, I chose a medium dark example with well matched covers. The darker blues are good looking, but don't exhibit as much of the variation in color.

iPZRY6a.jpg

Got my #12 SFO Toothpick knife from Frank today. I like it a lot. Great fit and finish, blade centered just right, and snap is perfect. This is my first Toothpick from GEC. I like the size of this knife.....feels really good in the hand.

Oh BTW, in the box with the knife was a surprise. Frank sent me this nice display! It has 2 magnified pins to hold the knife in place. It works perfectly. Thanks a lot Frank!
Larry
View attachment 1132447 View attachment 1132448 View attachment 1132449 View attachment 1132450 View attachment 1132451

Have to echo everything in the above post. I wasn't sure if I would like the Toothpick but must say that I do.

Also, the Wilhelm Busch Shield works much better on this knife than it did on the recent #14 SFO.

To be Frank, I'm digging all the stuff Frank's sent with this knife. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. Also, my expectations of liking this model were up in the air. I'm glad I went for it. It fits my hand nice and I like the shape of the blade. I can use this knife. The DLT version is next.

GEC_Franks_128119_01.jpg

GEC_Franks_128119_02.jpg

GEC_Franks_128119_03.jpg

GEC_Franks_128119_04.jpg

GEC_Franks_128119_07.jpg

I bought two GEC#12 Tidioute aqua camel bone knives this weekend. I want to buy some navy blue leather dye on EBAY and pop one. If GEC won't make one blue , I'll do it myself.
I popped my pastel aqua GEC#12 knife. I used Fiebing's Leather Dye Navy blue. My aqua knife had a dark aqua streak down the center of the camel bone. I taped up the blade and stuck the knife in a vise. I used a Q-tip to apply the dye on both sides. I let it dry for three hours. I hand buffed the bone with a cotton gun patch and Clenzoil gun oil. The knife is a dark stone-washed blue. The aqua streak is trying to come through. I love it. I have it back it the vice with a second coat of dye.

Reactions: mb>
Looks good man! Did you strip it first? And what color dye did you use?

I received a surprisingly poor dye job on mine as well, so I’ll probably be changing the color.

Really like the pattern and the ergos.
The blade shape is much more appealing in person than I thought it’d be. It’s also a little thicker than I imagined, more so than a 38 whittler I have.
I dyed mine with Fiebing's leather dye. Tape the blade up real thick. Stick the knife in a vice. I used Navy Blue and a Q-tip. I waited 3 hours . I hand buffed it with a gun patch and Clenzoil gun oil. I have it back in the vice with another coat of dye. Dark stone-wash blue and the dark aqua streaks are trying to pop out. I am so proud of this knife. I also have a #12 dark aqua 3/4 and 1/4 appaloosa aqua , I aint touching that one.

Reactions: mb>
I dyed mine with Fiebing's leather dye. Tape the blade up real thick. Stick the knife in a vice. I used Navy Blue and a Q-tip. I waited 3 hours . I hand buffed it with a gun patch and Clenzoil gun oil. I have it back in the vice with another coat of dye. Dark stone-wash blue and the dark aqua streaks are trying to pop out. I am so proud of this knife. I also have a #12 dark aqua 3/4 and 1/4 appaloosa aqua , I aint touching that one.

Post a pic? I’d like to see that.

Back