The upcoming, anticipated, way-too-excited GEC 85's Thread!

It is pretty amazing to me that I have never even attempted to start a thread here, but I figured that because I have yet to see a thread about the upcoming 85's, I would give it a whirl! What say you all? What are you looking forward to, what's on pre-order, what lovely 85's/bullet end jacks do you have? Since I am starting this thread, it looks like I get to go first!;)
I have loved the 85 since I saw some images of the previous iterations of Mike's SFOs, and since I am relatively new to the porch, I had to dig on the secondary market quite a bit to find my example:
20140904_161903_zpsplcvxbfk.jpg
Screenshot_2015-06-17-17-49-26_zpsfl2cdqmz.png

Just love this knife, and looked around for a 2 blade variant for quite some time, but never managed to get one. However, in the meantime, I picked up a few others, including a 2 blade Tidioute in ebony, a one arm in ebony, and a couple older bullet end jacks as well.
Screenshot_2014-11-12-15-56-33_zps6g3hleqi.png

This is my favorite, so it gets a couple shots all by itself:
2fbbbb84-4bb6-4055-9985-ed3bed246dab_zps6021c4a9.png
Screenshot_2015-07-01-10-00-18_zpsz30stc9a.png

I currently have a bloodwood single flat ground, and a natural linen micarta single flat ground on reserve. I realized pretty recently that I prefer single blade knives (unless a caplifter is involved: don't get me started about missing the '11 forum knife. . .), and have always liked wood. The micarta has been a result of both my 77 and my bull nose in that material, and now I can't get enough of it. The 85 is a "just right" feeling knife in the hand, and look forward to these new examples.
Anyway, thanks for all the learning opportunities,fun and great discussions that I have had the opportunity to take part in here; look forward to many more.
Thanks as always,
Brian

I'm excited about this release as well. The GEC 85 is one of the few GEC offerings which I don't have, so this upcoming release will be my first time. I've got 5 on pre-order, autumn bone, bloodwood, micarata in single blade and autumn bone and micarata in the two bladed version. I am curious to see how it compares to the #77 Medium Barlow in size and feel, but from all of the posts I've read it sounds like a "fan favorite". I have weak nails so knives with pinchable blades or EZ open notches are much preferred. Of course my bank account isn't as excited...........

Nice thread Brian, I've always been waiting to see an 85 thread arise. I myself am excited for the notion of a CKO only run of 85's to come to fruition. I was surprised to see a 'scandi-grind' option listed on the available options for this newest run. I found myself wondering if it would be a true zero scandi grind which would be quite impressive (the first GEC with a true scandi) or if it would revert into the saber grind we see on Northwoods knives. A scandi would cut better than the saber without the choice of using that secondary bevel and creating more of a wedge effect. I chose the full flat grinds just to be on the safe side, I've no need for a wedge grind or a heavy duty saber and prefer the slicing capabilities of that full broad 85 spear blade.

I do expect clutchcarter / Mark to chime in here sometime. ;) He has several of the rare CollectKnives SFO's some members here have perhaps not even seen yet.
(Osage Orange, Bubinga wood, etc)

I suppose I'll start this off with 85's I've owned and own.

1. Mike's SFO from CKO, the prototype of the garnet jigged bone with a gimp/bowtie shield and lanyard tube

tumblr_nwdxjx8nB01rzq6m9o2_1280.jpg

2. Another one of his SFO's with buffalo horn + LL (Liner Lock).

tumblr_numnzwNVbU1rzq6m9o3_1280.jpg

3. A Cocobolo 85 bullet end jack with EO + Coping mod done by Bob.

tumblr_nvjhtiiJhv1rzq6m9o2_1280.jpg

4. A Ulster 1876-1941 Cocobolo tear drop jack with beautifully full blades.

tumblr_ny87vrSJ9F1rzq6m9o4_1280.jpg

5. Lastly, the 2011 Forum knife caplifter. Took me over a year since I first started acquiring and appreciating traditionals to find this one.

tumblr_o0eb51ra2j1rzq6m9o1_1280.jpg

Here are a few. The acryics are gone now but the HJ and the Razor I will never part with. Great pattern.

Best regards

Robin

Nice thread Brian, I've always been waiting to see an 85 thread arise.

In the interests of completion (and possibly eliciting groans), there is this one:

Struck by the bullet (Let's see those 85s)....

Don't think there is an 85 thread thread yet, search function didn't turn any up.

The 85 is definitely my favorite GEC pattern(Thanks Charlie :) ) as I'm sure it is for alot of you :thumbup:

I'd love to see everyone else's 85's.

Share 'em here if you could be so kind :p

Here's mine:

L to R; Coffeehouse acrylic, Goldenrod micarta, Antique yellow jigged bone easy open :D, Emerald green acrylic

:D

~ P.

In the interests of completion (and possibly eliciting groans), there is this one:

:D

~ P.

Woops and very true P, I blanked out on the other one 'teardrop jack old and new' but the last post was from 2014.
I suppose the OP can ask a mod to help mesh the two threads together. :D

A question for those who own both the 85 and 77 Barlows, How do these two compare in size and weight?
I have a lovely 77 2 blade in Autumn bone, but i find i dont carry it as much as a smaller, lighter knife. If someone could provide some side by side pics, Id greatly appreciate it. I have a 2 blade 85 in Natural canvas micarta reserved,and im pretty excited about it.

I have a two blade natural canvas on order. I don't have an 85 yet, and I love the shape. The dimpling on the pull is nice too. I really liked the patina on the 77 canvas barlows that started showing up months after release, and I hope I get a similar look on the 85.

I have a few reserved too. Currently I only have two, but it is a really nice pettern.

D. B. - I don't have any pictures of them together yet, but I'll take some of a 77 with a 85 later today when the sun rises if no one has obliged you by then. Without looking at them right this minute, I would guess the the two would carry relatively similar.

Here's some coffeehouse for now.

The 85 is my favorite pattern and I think it is GEC's most visually appealing.

I have two of the single blades on order as I already have several two blade models.

When Mike did his first SFO run of the single blades with the bare end and lanyard hole I foolishly bought other knives thinking I had time to pick one up later. 4 years later and I still have not nabbed one.

I just wish they had steel bolsters as I really like how they look with a little pocket time and wear.

I have a two blade natural canvas on order. I don't have an 85 yet, and I love the shape. The dimpling on the pull is nice too. I really liked the patina on the 77 canvas barlows that started showing up months after release, and I hope I get a similar look on the 85.

Jprime84, i feel the same way about the upcoming 85s! I know the bolsters wont get patina like the 77, but i love the look of the canvas micarta and patinaed blades. And, it should be hopefully a bit more "pocketable" than the 77 Barlow, due to a bit less steel in the construction. I have been cruising all the 85 threads and pictures for a few days now,in anticipation!!

And thank you Draggat, I would appreciate any of your pics. Great Coffeehouse Acrylic on your 85 also!:thumbup:

A question for those who own both the 85 and 77 Barlows, How do these two compare in size and weight?
I have a lovely 77 2 blade in Autumn bone, but i find i dont carry it as much as a smaller, lighter knife. If someone could provide some side by side pics, Id greatly appreciate it. I have a 2 blade 85 in Natural canvas micarta reserved,and im pretty excited about it.

According to GEC the #77 Barlow is 3 3/4" whereas the #85 is 3 5/8" making the #77 1/8" longer. However I have both and my (only) #85 feels like more knife to me. I suspect that would be because of the different frame shape, blade shape, and the fact my #85 has some fairly beefy stag covers.

I have a sure standy on autumn gold, antique yellow jigged and maybe on the two blade versions of these also incase I don't get in on my standby.

I already have canvas micarta 2B 77 Barlow and Bullnose so I am not sure if I want another canvas micarta. Although I really like that coping.

Would really like to get an idea of what the Scandi will be though.

I have one 85, it is has a single one arm blade in Ebony wood, a twin to one in OPs post. I have been scouring the net for other examples and they seem to come up few and far between. I too was excited when I saw the pre-order and ordered a 1 Blade Flat Jigged Ant. Yellow Bone and a 1 Blade Scandi Natural Canvas Micarta variant. I am really happy that they are going with match striker pulls as they are my favorite and will be my first with such a pull. Ryouchijtx, love the buffalo horn LL, it has been one of my favorites that I have seen. Clutchcarter, what cover material are those? Ivory? Mammoth ivory? They are stunning.

Got a 1 blade flat Nat canvas micarta on order!! My 1st 85.. Looking forward to thisun!!! John :D

The 85's are definitely highly sought after!

I'm assuming this SFO will have end caps, but I'm not 100% sure. Can anyone corroborate this? Maybe Mike, if he gets the chance to read this thread?

The 85 is my favorite pattern and I think it is GEC's most visually appealing.

It's by far one of my favorites from GEC. I think you're right, as its just got the look that ticks all the boxes for me. Not sure what I like so much about them, but one thing is that so many knife manufacturers that came before GEC had similar versions.

What started all the hoo-haa:D:cool:

IMG_3111.jpg

Hanging Tough: Stag posing as Mammoth, in the right light

IMG_1205.jpg

Stag with a bite out of it..

IMG_0988-1.jpg

Mike's last SFO a sublime locker

IMG_2014.jpg

Not sure what this new run comprises? Will there be any single-blades?

Regards, Will

Last edited:
I've got a stand by on the 2 blade jigged and a maybe on the 2 blade bloodwood. The pattern has always looked a little funky to me, but I just don't want to miss out on the match strike pull and coping. If I'm lucky enough to snag a jigged version I'm sure I will be impressed. I'm still a little iffy on whether or not I'll pull the trigger on the bloodwood as a last resort.

Back