The upcoming, anticipated, way-too-excited GEC 85's Thread!

After seeing all the different 85s posted, I still say I like the Beavers the Best.
Not that I have one, or even want to buy one, but if I was going to buy one, that'd be the one.

The Beaver 85 really is nice in hand. I was happy to get hold of the three regular releases (rotten banana, beaver, and salmon) and have to say the Salmon acrylic is the sleeper of the group. A great color pattern that has some depth. Looks great with the tulip shield, just a classy looking knife. Probably my favorite of this grouping.

Thank you, Barrett. They are certainly fine looking knives and I am happy to have been able to acquire them, even aside from the issues. I just think of the red bone as Strawberry instead of Blood Red and that helps somewhat. The cracks in the Buffalo certainly do lend the knife character and it is growing on me.

Speaking of issues, is blade rap something that has been known to occur with the 85s? I guess it would not be all that surprising considering the belly on that spear but I just discovered that my one in Buffalo Bone has received a sizable ding on the edge. I suppose I will be closing these a lot more carefully from now on.

I don't know if blade rap is a thing for the #85, but mine had it, too. I've been babying it on closing ever since.

I don't know if blade rap is a thing for the #85, but mine had it, too. I've been babying it on closing ever since.

Blade rap shows up on big bellied blades, the drop points and skinners and this bulbous spear. There's so much belly to accommodate in the handle, and when they have nice springy action and good snap, it's sometimes inevitable. It's from the back spring center pin swell. It's usually pretty shallow and easy to sharpen out.

Blade rap shows up on big bellied blades, the drop points and skinners and this bulbous spear. There's so much belly to accommodate in the handle, and when they have nice springy action and good snap, it's sometimes inevitable. It's from the back spring center pin swell. It's usually pretty shallow and easy to sharpen out.
I figured as much, and I had the same thing on both the 43s I tried back when they were run. I like snapping open and shut, but I don't mind babying it for awhile. Did you get yours yet?

Leave it to this guy...

Mv5DtwS.jpg

Finally had some time to play with these ( got a blood red and a maple).
The maple has blade rap, not a big deal. The blood red is just perfect in every way. Definitely my favorite of the two.
Otherwise the pulls are just where I like 'em ( ~7.5 using the long pull), the big spear is very cool looking and the satin grind is flawless.
I put an e z open on my NF 78, because I thought I'd never get my hands on an 85. Well as luck would have it I did. Thank you GEC and CollectorKnives. Beyond impressed :thumbsup:

Back