The wait list

Recently I've had a few people say that they'd like to order a knife but the wait list is to long for their tastes. I can understand that and just wanted to explain my thinking behind it. Hopefully it'll make sense.
The wait time as of today (2/18/11) is running about 10 months from the date of order. I know that's a long time to wait for a knife so I can understand people being turned off by it. This post isn't to try and convince anyone to go ahead and order it's just to explain why the wait list is so long.
I'm a full time maker and I spend on average about 10 hours in the shop six days a week...sometime seven. I'm not the fastest person in the world but I do my best to get after it.
These are some possible remedies to a long wait list that I can think of and why I can't or won't do them.
1. Stop taking orders. I don't want to do this because I think there's no reason to stop a person whose willing to wait from ordering a knife.
2. Outsource work. Absolutely not a option for me. I'm way to much of a control freak to do that. My knives aren't perfect but they are the best I can do and have my sweat in them. I don't want that to change. I've got nothing against makers the do outsource so don't get me wrong, it's just not for me at this point.
3. Hire help. I just simply can't afford it right now. And with the before mentioned control freak in me it'd be hard to pay someone (even if I could) who had no previous experience in knife making. And if they had previous experience like I'd like then they'd be making their own knives anyway.
4. Raise prices. Also out of the question at this point. I make knives to be used and I don't want to price them to where a person would be afraid to do that.
So I guess I typed all that hooha to say, I'm sorry for the long wait but there's nothing I am willing to do that will change that.
Hope you understand.
God bless and thanks for listening,
Iz

All I can say Iz, is like the old people used to say. Good things come to those who wait. I think its just amazing that I put my order in 3 or 4 months ago and from then to now your wait list has jump from 6 month to 10. All that telss me is I got the right person building my knife if that many people are willing to wait to get a knife from someone.
And for the people that dont want to wait, they can always jump on one of the extras in a batch, if I had not been at work (which is when you post about 90% of the extras :grumpy:) I would have grabbed that Gasconade myself.
I got an idea. I'm going to get a bunch of spots on the Turley wait list and then sell em for about $50 a pop. What you think, I bet they would sell. :D

10 months? I'm on a list that takes at least two years to cycle through.

I wouldn't worry about it. If they wont wait for one of your knives they can go get a Rough Rider or something from their favorite on-line dealer. No offense to Rough Rider, I like and carry them, but you get what you pay for and as someone already said. Good things come to those who wait. It may not be the funnest thing to do but patience has its reward.

Keep up the good work.

I think it's no big deal. Folks could be waiting 5 or 6 years for a Randall or such so 10 months isn't much of an issue. Plus it gives loads of time to save up your pennies in the mean while.

The main things is that expectations are managed well (which you do with good communications on here - your oven breakdown before Christmas being a good example). People know what they're signing up to when they place their order.

I just got on a List that has me at 14-18 mos, that is just to be contacted then I wait for the blade to be made... I hear some people are waiting YRS to get a lochsa of their own. Should not be a make or break issue, As long as you give WIP updates once in a while.

Iz, I like a man who stands by what he believes is the right way to do things . Buyers should be glad to wait on a knife that is made the right way not the fast, profitable way. also I'm right with ya brother , I'm not a very fast knifemaker sometimes I think I may be the worlds slowest knife maker but I do it my way.

I just look at it as a good way to save the funds while waiting. I have explained to my wife that I ordered a custom knife and I am putting away a small amount each paycheck. She doesn't have a problem with this process, kinda like a Christmas club account.

I am in for my second Turley and it is worth the wait.

Thanks Iz, keep this the way they are.

C

Screw em if they can't wait! Makes the list shorter for me!

I'm due in about May for my next one!

Screw em if they can't wait! Makes the list shorter for me!

I'm due in about May for my next one!

I'm due in May too! Looks like mine is going to be a boy! :D:D. Seriously that is a good point, I am wanting back ont the list and just cant decide which one. Less people on the list means less wait for me. Only downside is less money for Iz, which I am sure he aint cool with. Guess I better just get on and spend 10 months deciding which one I want. :thumbup:

Absolutely worth the wait!

After my Soldier River arrived, I'm seriously considering selling some of my knives.:eek:

Heresy, I know.

Iz, don't sweat it. Do what you feel most comfortable doing. You will enjoy what you do much more. The wait list will come down. The more you do your work the faster and more proficeint you will get. I once had an 18 month backlog. Too much to keep track of when it gets that long.
Scott

No sweat Iz!! I'm on your list and my spot will come up in 8 months or so.
who knows maybe sooner.

You do great work, have a good rep. So a wait is reasonable.

I placed my order with you because several other makers wouldn't take an order for a similar knife. They want to make a limited run and have feeding frenzies. I just don't care to do business that way.

Back