The Schrade Walden 153 Uncle Henry...Golden Spike & Schrade 153UH variations..

G'Day, This post should bring Codger out with comment on his beloved fixed blades.
I jumped at the chance when Jackie offered me his Schrade Walden 153UH Golden Spike and I asked resident super sleuth lrv to do some checking on its possible history as Codger had always said that the 153UH was from mid 1973 and no Schrade Walden example had been seen to date by this forum and it would have to be considered extremely rare if a Walden surfaced.Just how scarce can be seen in this info lrv has supplied as it may be the only one that ever escaped from the factory during the transition period of 1973.

'From the 1972 Walden Year End Report.1972 item#79.. 153...1 (one) knife shipped 17 ordered ,16 backordered (note no UH designation)
1973 item#79..153UH...3485 shipped 4223 ordered.
1973 was the year Schrade/Walden became Schrade and it is also the only year with 2 separate catalogs. When the S/W catalog was released it contained a 172UH and when the revised 1973 Schrade catalog was released with the new name it was minus the 172UH AND had been replaced with the 153UH. (No previous mention of a 153UH in Walden catalog's and only ONE shipped in 1972......
This example which just may be the one that escaped (I acknowledge with Schrade you never know!) is mint in box and has different brown box lid and Schrade paperwork to my two very early lower mintages MIB 153UH's from the 1970's. Photos attached showing unusual handle staglon handle pattern and the blade grind is also noticably different.
Q: Has anyone ever seen another Schrade Walden 153 and I wonder what the circumstances could have been to issue this prototype? Any comments Codger? Hoo Roo
P.S. Many thanks to lrv for his tireless work and also Jackie who is now aware of this info and is glad it came to a Schrade collector.

Attachments

• 200906120006.jpg
    200906120006.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 389
  • 200906120012.jpg
    200906120012.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 397
  • 200906120015.jpg
    200906120015.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 374
  • 200906120008.jpg
    200906120008.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 381
  • 200906110011.jpg
    200906110011.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
....few more photos of various 153's for comparison...

Attachments

• 200906110010.jpg
    200906110010.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 200906120011.jpg
    200906120011.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 183
  • 200906120013.jpg
    200906120013.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 200906120014.jpg
    200906120014.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 200906120007.jpg
    200906120007.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 153
If only one shipped as noted, the chances are that two dozen or even a hundred were made with that stamp, but not shipped by the time that notation was made. This pattern is peculiar in that it has several components which must be properly mated in order for it to be assembled and pass inspection. If the slot in the guard is too big, or if the tang stock is too small, the result will be a loose guard with no way to tighten it. If the hollow handle is formed or cut too short, the tang screw will not tighten it. So as a production startup, it had to have taken a bit of fiddling with the component dimensions to get the desired fit and the ease of assembly a production run required. Were the other early "Walden" marked pieces rejected? Were they reworked as revised components became available? Were another 24 or 99 pieces so marked shipped after that production note of "1"? My hunch is ... probably. But the fact that there are likely a few more out there (thirty years after introduction) does not detract from the rarity or (to a dedicated "one of each" collector of the pattern) from the desirability of owning a SW marked example.

Codger (outa da woodwork) :D

......and a Platinum member now to boot!....I'm surprised you still mix with us mere serfs Codge!...you must feel better now you've outed yourself publicly!......
Very sound hypothisis as usual and its strange that the Registration card which is very very early design and unlike my later 70's cards..is neatly in half at the perforation because whomever received the knife actually must have completed/sent the registration back to Schrade...indicating to me they actually paid for the knife and had monetary investment in it, rather than having been given it?...The special golden spike gold sticker on the front of the box was probably too labour intensive and they opted for the gold embossed writing on box lid with later 70's issues.........still like gold calendar knives, until more surface they must be considered scarce/unique as part of the total Schrade history.....Hoo Roo

G'day.....just bringing this thread at member Jerod's request.....he feels he may know where there is a Walden Spike.............!..............??...so he can see what he should be looking for.........Hoo Roo

I think one of the glaring keys to look for would be the foil "Golden Spike" sticker on the box. Not sure if that was present on any of the non-Walden knives, but it definitely signifies a very early example.

Eric

A beautiful knife larry.... I am know even more modivated to get this one... I will let you know if i can land it..... Jerod

I think you're right Eric.
Jerod, it would be interesting if you locate another to see the staglon handle as my markings are most unlike the 'regular' Spikes that followed...Good luck....we're all rootin' for you...thats an Aussie saying and I trust it doesnt get lost in the US translation!.....<just like a Fanny in the US is not anything like a Fanny in Australia..but its demographically close!!>......Hoo Roo

Bringing up this thread again for 2 reasons.
1. What happened to our member Jarod?...he was certain he could get a Schrade Walden Golden Spike from that collector who had the Benchmark complete set he obtained.
2.Codger mentioned today that only very few <Walden tang> had been spotted so far..has anyone seen another yet?....I still believe this one is the First and only of 'The Mohicans'.......
P.S. Have you seen the fleabay listing which must have been on display now for about 6 months without any takers..which breathlessly states how his is the only Stag handled Golden Spike ever seen <by him?>?...<and its about US$500 from memory!>..I dont think I'm auction spotting as no Schrade follower on Fleabay could have missed it except intentionally....I've had a Stag Golden Spike for years which is in the above photos....and I believe I have seen several or even more other examples...has anyone else one they wish to show...? Hoo Roo

...bringing this thread up again for member Jakeboy....you're Schrade Walden 153 Golden Spike is very scarce..nay rare....does it look like the photos attached?
I paid US$200 for my knife....certainly wouldn't have paid that without the Schrade Walden Tang stamping....do you have original papers/sheath/box?....Hoo Roo

Larry, was wondering since Jake's has a serial number of 00220 does yours? it does imply that at least 220 were manufactured with the Schrade Walden stamp doesn't it? or is this another of the enjoyable anomalies.

...bringing this thread up again for member Jakeboy....you're Schrade Walden 153 Golden Spike is very scarce..nay rare....does it look like the photos attached?
I paid US$200 for my knife....certainly wouldn't have paid that without the Schrade Walden Tang stamping....do you have original papers/sheath/box?....Hoo Roo

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, Larry303! I found this thread, tonight as I think I posted up the pics on another thread. This is all history for you guys, but I didn't want to appear rude by not replying. These forums can get pretty involved, with numerous places to scout and plenty to check out!

Now I know what my knife looked like when it was new! That sure is pretty. :thumbup:

The 153UH can cut the mustard in the field, for sure. Mine has been through numerous hunts, camping, backpacking, canoe and motorcycle touring trips. They're tough, work very well and feel great in the hand. Near perfect ergonomics (or familiarity?), for me.

I retired the Schrade-Walden, to the safe, but the more I think about it (thanks to you guys!), the more I want to get another one and keep using it, as it's just a great, classic knife.

Are the new 153UH's any good? Are the sheaths the quality of the originals? The steel? It's hard to tell from internet pics, but the sheaths don't look as though they're made of the same high quality leather. I don't know anything about the blade. Does it take a good edge and hold it well (when used for its intended purpose)?

Wish we built more stuff here--just saying... :D

there are still original 153UH's to be had at several different places i am sure. one is our favorite auction site to tear down. if you don't find one message me and we might be able to help.

there are still original 153UH's to be had at several different places i am sure. one is our favorite auction site to tear down. if you don't find one message me and we might be able to help.

10-4, delmas2nd. I'm going to start looking on "that" site. Thanks for the offer, too!

This thread brought up again for new member cdbd and his question re possible date of manufacture........previous discussion on the 153UH Golden Spike....to date only 2 Schrade Walden stamped 153UH Golden Spikes have surfaced..one mint in original Golden Spike Box <the only box to be noted to date with the Golden Spike Sticker and earliest Uncle Henry Paperwork> plus one used example...would appear from lrv's research that they were issued during the hiatus period 1972/73 when the Schrade Walden tang stamping was being changed....the earliest <lowest> serial numbers with Schrade stampings would appear to be from post 1973.....Hoo Roo

Last edited:
So it appears that my two year old hypothesis about there being more than one Walden Golden Spike out there was not hyperbole after all? Cool. Perhaps I should start looking for one for myself. :)

Oh, and to my ex who said that I am always wrong... Nyaaa...nyaaa! :p

Michael, I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong. And btw, I can think of about ten of us who could use one of those SW 153's (in the box of course), so I hope some more show up.

I have to keep reminding myself and others that the production records do not denote tang stampings before/after the company name change, only what was shipped by year's end. There is no good reason why they would have trashed the Walden stamped blades and not shipped them out either with the new stamping production, or in prefilled dealer displays, or as early warranty replacement knives. I do suspect that there are more of them out there, likely quite a few more. Likewise I stll believe there is, somewhere, a Walden stamped 152 Snapfinger Sharpfinger.

Incorrigible Codger!.........I tend to agree mate because why would Schrade have produced different UH paperwork and also the special Golden Spike gold sticker for their brown box....for just one liddle iddy biddy knife.....mine....if you compare the staglon handle markings on my Walden Golden Spike model and my low serialized Schrade Golden Spike,one would consider that Schrade still carried out further experimenting with their final handle markings in that 72/73 changeover period,and the handles staglon pattern then remained virtually unchanged on future Golden Spikes...soooooooo where are the other special box's and knives?........Hoo Roo

Last edited:
Am I misremembering promotional material that explained the "Golden Spike" to be initially a commem of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad ( November 6, 1869)?

http://www.sfmuseum.org/hist1/rail.html
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/goldenspike.htm

The ceremony at Promontory culminated with Governor Stanford of California (representing the Central Pacific Railroad) and Thomas Durant (president of the Union Pacific Railroad) taking turns pounding a Golden Spike into the final tie that united the railroad's east and west sections. As the spike was struck, telegraph signals simultaneously alerted San Francisco and New York City, igniting a celebratory cacophony of tolling bells and cannon fire in each city.

Alexander Toponce witnessed the event:

"I saw the Golden Spike driven at Promontory, Utah, on May 10, 1869. I had a beef contract to furnish meat to the construction camps of Benson and West...

Back