The Schrade Walden 153 Uncle Henry...Golden Spike & Schrade 153UH variations..

saw a interesting entry in our favorite place to disparage. it was listed as a "Antique Sharade Hunting Knife with Sheath". on looking at it closer via the magnification app noticed on the the tang Schrade Walden N Y USA 153 bid on it and darn if i didn't win for the whole amount of $25 which was the only bid. photos and serial number to be provided once it gets here.

Last edited:
saw a interesting entry in our favorite place to disparage. it was listed as a "Antique Sharade Hunting Knife with Sheath". on looking at it closer via the magnification app noticed on the the tang Schrade Walden N Y USA 153 bid on it and darn if i didn't win for the whole amout of $25 which was the only bid. photos and serial number to be provided once it gets here.
CONGRATS! Post photos when you can.

That is a fine knife and a great find. Now you might want to cover up your tracks leading to your honey hole.;)

just got the newest old one in. serial #01533. in pretty good shape especially the sheath. will take more photos later.

Attachments

• 153 UH 01533 01.jpg
    153 UH 01533 01.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 37
Another S/W. #00297. No sticker on box, but a very reasonable asking price!

For multiple reasons, none of which I will divulge, as I don't fancy a lawsuit, I WILL say that seller is one of the most evil knife dealers on ebay. This is an opinion, not stated as fact, although I do know some things....

On a slightly related note, consider that a Schrade Walden 153, although rare, is a factory produced knife with a plastic handle. Just sayin'...

On a slightly related note, consider that a Schrade Walden 153, although rare, is a factory produced knife with a plastic handle. Just sayin'...
His asking price is out there. :eek:
I wonder what he would say if I made an offer of eighty bucks? ;)

His asking price is out there. :eek:
I wonder what he would say if I made an offer of eighty bucks? ;)

Seems a little low though for the " Holy Grail". Maybe$85.:D

Although they go to the trouble of knocking all the crusty stuff er.. I mean patina off the blade.

I have purchased a couple knives from this seller and have found he is willing to take a lot less than the asking price in some cases. I guess he just throws a number out there and sees what sticks. I hope everything is on the up and up there. I agree with Hal, the SW 153 is a cool piece of the schrade story but if I'm going to drop $700+ on a knife their are a few that come before it for sure. This one might marinate in the bay for a while.

so i guess we add 00297 which now brings the total up to 11. and wow is he proud of his.
Serial number range for the Schrade Walden 153UH so far;

These are all the serials we have identified to date. (03-14-15)

Updated Serial Survey:

Serial number range for the Schrade Walden 153UH so far;

These are all the serials we have identified to date. (02/06/16
Updated. Someone please post the pictures?

Last edited:
I think one of the glaring keys to look for would be the foil "Golden Spike" sticker on the box. Not sure if that was present on any of the non-Walden knives, but it definitely signifies a very early example.

Eric
Did they all have the sticker, or were some of the boxes embossed with Gold lettering that said Golden Spike?

jgm6qh.jpg

Here is a pic.

Did they all have the sticker, or were some of the boxes embossed with Gold lettering that said Golden Spike?

Informed supposition at this point that stickers were used on the earliest examples to modify boxes in stock such as for the 165uh until the specific Golden Spike boxes could be printed. Odd that the seller a added the wrong paper to complete that assemblage. Does the sheath detail match known provenanced examples? Suspicious caT is suspicious!

I have just purchased that #0297 from eBay ( for less than 1/2 the asking price) and be assured that I will compare all the fine detail of that knife, sheath, packaging and paperwork against # 1666 the original "Holy Grail" that was entrusted to me by Larry303 who started this thread.
I will advise you guys of that comparison.

Back