The Schrade Walden 153 Uncle Henry...Golden Spike & Schrade 153UH variations..

I have just purchased that #0297 from eBay ( for less than 1/2 the asking price) and be assured that I will compare all the fine detail of that knife, sheath, packaging and paperwork against # 1666 the original "Holy Grail" that was entrusted to me by Larry303 who started this thread.
I will advise you guys of that comparison.
I will be looking forward to that review. :cool:

Thanks, looks like the one on that unmentionable site where that person wants a bazzilion dollars for it.
That nice man, that knows what time of the day all of the knives he sells, were made - will black list you if you question him about any of his knives.
I asked him how to tell the diference between a 1965, 66 or even a 77 Schrade 8OT. He blacked me for that question.
He always has a lot to say about his knives.
If you offed him $85 for his knife, you may find he has blocked you also.

I see he has a 106OT for only $339 discounted down to $271; Postage is only $56 to send it to Australia.
I'm glade I found my two 106OTs for less than this seller's discounted price.:)

Last edited:
If you offed him $85 for his knife, you may find he has blocked you also.
Hahaha! Thanks Ken. I wonder what his reaction might be if a bunch of folks offered him $65 and $70 dollars?
He would actually be doing us a favor by blocking us all. ;)

Well the Jury is out until #0297 arrives I recon. I have 2 early low number 153's for comparison & they have the sheaths and boxes that seem similar to the one in the photo with #0297

The litmus test will be a comparison with #1666,, the sheath and packaging ..

While I paid more than $85 for it I won't be disgruntled if it is "as advertised" and the real deal.

Schrade Walden won't be making any more of these real soon !! ha ha.

Well the Jury is out until #0297 arrives I recon. I have 2 early low number 153's for comparison & they have the sheaths and boxes that seem similar to the one in the photo with #0297

The litmus test will be a comparison with #1666,, the sheath and packaging ..

While I paid more than $85 for it I won't be disgruntled if it is "as advertised" and the real deal.

Schrade Walden won't be making any more of these real soon !! ha ha.
Good luck man, please post your findings, along with images. :)

I will bet, hope it was somebody here. :)

If so I hope it is in as good condition as described and the paper work is correct.

If I wasn't on my mobile phone I'd CC&P some pics from the original listing. Maybe someone else can.

As promised that I would do a comparison between #1666 and # 297 and now that it has arrived I have to say I consider it to be as advertised . While #1666 is mint ,, 297 does have a little patina on the blade and has been sharpened or honed at some stage .
The blade is 2ml shorter and 1ml narrower which imo confirms that. The blade and brass have more than likely been polished at some stage also. However the sheath box sleeve and paperwork all seem to be in good order and consistent with that of the "holy grail" apart from the golden spike sticker on the box so all and all am happy with my purchase.

I have taken some quick pics with my phone and hope the have uploaded for you guys to offer a experts opinion, and added another pick of some Aussie Schrade 14K bling just to wet your appetite ha ha.

By the way I have just purchased another SW 153 Golden Spike #00378 and try and post more pics when it arrives for your info and comparison.......These things are becoming a dime a dozen LOL
24563e6d9ae1ede40fc203e94b038a92.jpg
b12e8956c8cfecae16aa8dcde60c289c.jpg
719b9a99f7ce8d22c34846938fcbbbf7.jpg
afa40df236d18428ccd11a0cb419e5f4.jpg
814136c456c27f3b45c7737780fd8fff.jpg
c82c1c33086b2714fce0a4aafff28af7.jpg

I would like to know were that gold stick came from.
The knife that came in the box, with the sticker on it; is not a low serial number.
I believe that sticker had nothing to do with Schrade or that knife.
I have been known to be right, at least 5% of the time. Ken

I would think that 95 % may have just got a little worse ...[emoji886]
I fell I am still siting on 95%, I can see three of those "Only One Knives" all together.
To date, I have only seen one Gold Sticker, so keep on looking.
There must be more of those "One and Only" Gold Stickers... Ken

As promised that I would do a comparison between #1666 and # 297 and now that it has arrived I have to say I consider it to be as advertised . While #1666 is mint ,, 297 does have a little patina on the blade and has been sharpened or honed at some stage .
The blade is 2ml shorter and 1ml narrower which imo confirms that. The blade and brass have more than likely been polished at some stage also. However the sheath box sleeve and paperwork all seem to be in good order and consistent with that of the "holy grail" apart from the golden spike sticker on the box so all and all am happy with my purchase.
By the way, thanks for posting both your findings and photos. Very COOL! :thumbup:

When I started this thread some 7 years on 12th June 2009 there had only been one Schrade Walden Golden Spike noted on this Forum.....the one I had secured with the golden spike gold box sticker.....since then we have noted other examples and I have owned several myself.....Larry Vickery's research on the actual contemporary Schrade Walden paperwork showed only one in 1972 was issued however there were unfilled backorders at that stage and several thousand issued after the 1972/73 transistion period...we were not then aware, and problably still not, how many of those subsequently issued actually had the Schrade-Walden tang stampings.....obviously there were a number possibly several thousand....how many with the golden spike sticker?...we still do not know...it's why these threads were important to us Schrade collectors, where we could collate/advance our knowledge.....its probable that there are more stickers out there in Schradeland..just like it was probable seven years ago there were more Schrade-Walden tang stamping examples just waiting to be discovered...
A downside to sharing known contemporary information is..... 'hindsight is always very accurate, after the facts are known, and often, I note, then leads to smugness by some....Hoo Roo

one interesting thing is the colour variation of the handles. in looking at them, the "cavities" are the same just the dying is different. (does that make sense?) the differences i see is the amount taken off to high light the white background.

Back