The "Whatever" Thread

Coyote? Looks like a chupacabra to me. Damn thing has a pretty severe case of mange.

I love the pics you post from your walks, by the way. Over a series of vacations, my wife and I fell in love with the Puget Sound area.
My pleasure YC.:)

A lid for what purpose?
And what kind of pit... meaning stones, cinder blocks, bricks, steel ring or just dirt?

More info, must have more info.
Pics wouldn't hurt either.;)

For an eco friendly lid you could comb the neighborhood for aluminum cans and flatten em and rivet enough together to cover the pit.:thumbsup::cool::p:D

The pit is going to be steel ring in ground with bricks around the outside of it. Base will be a good bed of pack rock. Should sit about 8-10" above the surrounding ground. Lid purpose is for keeping rain from turning it into an ash pool.

The pit is going to be steel ring in ground with bricks around the outside of it. Base will be a good bed of pack rock. Should sit about 8-10" above the surrounding ground. Lid purpose is for keeping rain from turning it into an ash pool.
Sounds like the makings for a great pit.
Do you have a local dump you can scrounge materials from?
I was thinking a piece or two of that corrugated tin/aluminum they use on barn roofs.
Maybe a kiddie pool inverted over it.

Congrats! Let's see some action shots!
About to head out for some "glamour" shots of it before I start putting it to work. Really liking the micarta John uses.

Mykel outstanding photos as always. I can't believe all the critters you run across out there.

IMG_0487.PNG Taking tomorrow off, Connie is off work and we are taking the girls out for the day before they start back to school. Hayley actually had a half day today, they have freshmen come in to find their classrooms before the other kids start, but she is off tomorrow.

5.3 miles of single track dirt trails on the mountain bikes with my 6year old this morning. By the time this kid is 10 I'm in trouble.

Any tips on teaching a kid to ride? I am still working with my almost 7 year old, and it seems like he will never outgrow the training wheels...

Any tips on teaching a kid to ride? I am still working with my almost 7 year old, and it seems like he will never outgrow the training wheels...
Go to a field and practice falling. Sit him on the non-moving bike and let him fall on his side. He will put his hands and feet out to catch himself, and thus should be limited. Even if you have to climb on the bike and fall on your own side, show him it won't hurt.
Honestly, fear may be playing a Huge part, and once he realizes that most falls will be slight, it will make progress much faster.
After this, speed helps keep him stabilized, so slow, wobbly travel is making it harder for him to balance.

Once he realizes that you know what you are talking about, he will find it easier to trust you and get out of his own head.

Go to a field and practice falling. Sit him on the non-moving bike and let him fall on his side. He will put his hands and feet out to catch himself, and thus should be limited. Even if you have to climb on the bike and fall on your own side, show him it won't hurt.
Honestly, fear may be playing a Huge part, and once he realizes that most falls will be slight, it will make progress much faster.
After this, speed helps keep him stabilized, so slow, wobbly travel is making it harder for him to balance.

Once he realizes that you know what you are talking about, he will find it easier to trust you and get out of his own head.
What Bill said plus try holding on to the seat to stabilize him as he pedals and once he is going good step back and let him go.
Also show him how to stick his leg out to stop the fall once he starts to fall.

Good luck Pops.:)

I forgot to say...take the trainers off!

Last edited:
It was cool and overcast for this mornings wandering.
It's sure starting to look like fall is here.
n4S5ErD.jpg

YIxzdBE.jpg

R9J4xdv.jpg

ArIwgxC.jpg

yR8UqNf.jpg

YS4kuCl.jpg

ooH6XQS.jpg

TOddvCw.jpg

Thought I replied a few days ago, I don't know where my post went. Oh well.

We never had training wheels. He started (from his 3rd b-day to his 5th) on a "balance bike" (a small bike with no pedals) and got the concepts of balance and that speed was his friend.
At 5 (actually Nana gave it to him a month early) he got a real bike. I took the trainers off before he ever sat on it and he rode solo on his 1st try. He had to learn to pedal and how to brake, but got it quickly.
This year (at 6) he wanted a bike with hand brakes to start riding trails and was upgraded (thanks Pap & Nana) to a 6-speed trail bike.

My best advice is to have the bike suffer a traumatic accident in the garage in which the trainers are damaged beyond repair. Once they are gone, necessity will speed the learning process. Also, ride yourself. The thrill of riding with Dad may provide the needed motivation.

Back