The "Whatever" Thread

Blankets and hot chocolate have been part of the program here in Mapleton for the last week - hopefully the temps go up as they are predicting and we can settle back into something more normal weather-wise.

best

mqqn

Another great pic of her smile!

I fixed hot chocolate over the weekend, regular and "adult" batches. I like to start with equal parts dark chocolate soy milk, half&half, and a big gob of nutella. Looks like the cold front is moving away from us although there's a chance of snow/freezing rain forecast for today and tonight. I hope everyone is doing well with the winter weather.

it's amazing how cold 58 feels inside a house on a cloudy day when you can hear the wind whistling.

Woke up to no hot water and a chilly house (water furnace -- residential version of a commercial boiler system). :(
checked propane - good.
cleaned the intake filter for the water heater (cartridge) - and flushed the tank
replaced the controller board for the water heater (had a spare because the old one used to stick a set of contacts every 15-18 months)
realized I had a code light - looked up the code -- bad igniter.
looked up the wiring diagram & downloaded a manual so I could figure out if it was a part I could get at.
pulled the igniter and started looking for replacements or alternatives.
found one at the 3rd or 4th supply house I checked -- $65.
drove the 30 miles home and broke it while installing........

second time was the charm -- and I'm extremely thankful it didn't happen last week during the cold snap.

No heat/hot water sucks. Glad you finally figured it out, I would have given up after all that and called someone.

I had an issue with our gas furnace a couple years ago. It would try to fire repeatedly, then shut off. I googled the problem, and it looked that it might be a flame sensor (safety thing) that ensures the gas is lit, otherwise it shuts everything down. The sensor can get a form of corrosion on it over time that keeps it from sensing there is a lit flame, so the furnace will not light. a wire brush and some sand paper, and we were back in business. If you have a gas furnace, keep that in mind, could save you an expensive service call!

No heat/hot water sucks. Glad you finally figured it out, I would have given up after all that and called someone.

I had an issue with our gas furnace a couple years ago. It would try to fire repeatedly, then shut off. I googled the problem, and it looked that it might be a flame sensor (safety thing) that ensures the gas is lit, otherwise it shuts everything down. The sensor can get a form of corrosion on it over time that keeps it from sensing there is a lit flame, so the furnace will not light. a wire brush and some sand paper, and we were back in business. If you have a gas furnace, keep that in mind, could save you an expensive service call!

I might not be getting too much work done next week. Becky is having surgery, and on the days Connie has to work I will need to take the girls back and forth to school, so I will only be working part of the days. Since I'm ahead of schedule it shouldn't affect much.

A normal dental visit Wednesday afternoon turned into an unexpected root canal. Yesterday the root canal turned into an unexpected infection. The side of my face is swollen and I've got a fever. At least my wife makes a great nurse, even if I can't talk her into ordering the outfit I picked for her.

Last edited:
Starting the day off JK style!
kSY0tj6.jpg

that Kimber deserves some love. I still haven’t picked up a 43, don’t know what’s slowing me down.

Back