The "Whatever" Thread

I'm going to be selling some of my personal knives in the near future. Mostly Bucks, possibly some Case and Victorinox, that I have duplicates of. Some of the Bucks are pretty unusual, like the SwissBuck collaboration, and Workman Series.
I have way too many knives, I'm feeling old, never use them, time to get rid of them.

Watching my son's 1st competitive tryout (soccer). My wife says I'm the odd one, but I think some of these parents are way to invested in 7 year olds kicking a damn ball.
Where im at the county sherrifs sit at the little league and football games. Some parents are on a whole nother level.

It'll only get worse as they get older, YC. The amount of parental obsession in their children's sports gets pretty crazy at times. I understand giving support, but at some point I can't help but wonder if the parents are trying to compensate for their own shortcomings by living vicariously through and controlling their kids, especially when it comes to sports. I played basketball and baseball up until high school. At that point it stopped being fun and seemed to become more about playing for other people. At least with a few of them. Luckily, golf isn't nearly as intense, so I played that in high school instead.

That being said, congrats to you and your son. I hope it is fun for him.

Thanks guys. It's a 3 day (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) tryout, which seems extreme to me. I did mention it was for 7 year olds, right? Some parents were acting like their child's entire future rested on making this team.
My son had fun and asked to go back for the other nights. If he's enjoying it, I'm all in. But if he doesn't make it, we'll move on and not think twice.

On another subject. His b-day is this week. I'm almost finished with the knife I'm making him. I put an edge on it tonight. I just need to get some 550 cord to make a simple lanyard. I'll try to get some pictures of it before I give it to him and he loses it.

Watching my son's 1st competitive tryout (soccer). My wife says I'm the odd one, but I think some of these parents are way to invested in 7 year olds kicking a damn ball.
I coached my Daughters' soccer team for a few years (and had a blast doing it). At one game the ref threw a parent out, the Mom, she was way out of hand arguing a call. It was crazy. I also happened to like this ref, he was extremely fair and consistent in his calls.

I make a point to show up to one basketball game every season for my nephews. I’d go to more if it wasn’t for the parents. The last one I went to a parent threw a large Starbucks ice coffee out on the court after a call that he didn’t like. Real mature.

Everything you guys have said about some parents living vicariously through their children is 100% correct in my opinion.

A friend of mine coached a girls softball team for a few years. I was at a game one day where one of the mothers was sitting at the cage near homeplate being unusually rude. A fouled ball struck the umpire in the crotch. While he was bent over trying to recover she was laughing at him making rude comments. I could see the disgust on my friend's face as she did. When that lady's daughter got up to bat the girl quickly found herself facing a full count. The next pitch was obviously outside. The umpire turned his head towards the woman who had laughed at him and said "strike, you're out" I'm pretty sure he was smiling behind the face mask.

Some parents were acting like their child's entire future rested on making this team.
Me thinks some parents hope their kids make it into professional sports so their own future will be secured.
On another subject. His b-day is this week. I'm almost finished with the knife I'm making him. I put an edge on it tonight. I just need to get some 550 cord to make a simple lanyard. I'll try to get some pictures of it before I give it to him and he loses it.
Happy birthday to your boy. Here's hoping he doesn't lose the knife too soon.;)

Hey all, I went camping last Friday and came home Monday to no internet.:confused:
There seems to be a problem with my Mac's ethernet connection dohicky thingy/chip according to the service tech that was just here, so I'm going wireless for the first time.
I feel so naked:eek:, but thank goodness for WiFi.:thumbsup:

Anyways..pics!
The first thing I did after setting up camp and getting the back of the truck empty was go up the road and collect fire wood from all the blowdowns.
It's nice first thing in the spring to have all that wood laying on the sides of the road ready for the picking.:thumbsup:
The Zubat was a big help, but a chainsaw sure would have saved me some wear and tear.;)
I had to make a second wood gathering run Saturday after burning most of what I had Friday night.:eek:
Me likes fire.:D
AING5zh.jpg

2gKsStb.jpg

Same pic using the painting setting on my camera.
1Yq1V0T.jpg

It sure is starting to green up with the new grass pushing up and leaves n needles sprouting.
pMKvDFo.jpg

EIttTD7.jpg

YtWX9o5.jpg

CJRLWFj.jpg

Morels are up! I found this one and two others right in camp just off the tail gate of the truck.
I stepped on one, but two survived my unloading and setting up camp.
aGHTyyB.jpg

I didn't think Morels would be up so soon so I had to look around and low and behold, I found a few more around camp.
TPyPNBS.jpg

My Kelly Works Demon that I re-hung in 16 but didn't get a chance to use until last weekend and my Vaughn and Bushnell riggers hatchet.
BskfXR1.jpg

The Demon and the Tool.
cr2rpXK.jpg

Random flora.
XwpWaAx.jpg

Y0i73RM.jpg

giscYd2.jpg

0MYQyYv.jpg

GZtxNsG.jpg

An old bird nest found on the ground down by the creek.
jSnPP3G.jpg

And a view of the Cascades from up the road.
zq1KhMC.jpg

More fire!
15B7h5S.jpg

jrw9cxe.jpg

Th, th, th,thats all folks.
Hope you enjoyed the show.:)

We are swept up by your passion for this place. :cool: I'm wicked jealous of your morels - very rare in my parts.
Happy for a few chanterelles, black trumpets, lobster mushrooms, sulfur shelf/chicken of the woods and some prized phallic shaped ones (whose name I can't recall) that my wife can always spot :rolleyes: though they have always eluded me :(?

If I'm ever up your way Myke I'm heading to camp with you :thumbsup:

Ray

Great pictures. Looks like a beautiful place. I love that part of the country.
Yeah, thats the Eastern slopes of the Cascades, much more arid than the West side where the rain forests are.

Good to see The Tool still being used after all these years.
I love my Tool!o_O
I gave it a break and didn't beat on it this trip. The only use it got was to make some fuzz sticks.
I did beat on the Hurley Creek a bit to split some kindling though.

We are swept up by your passion for this place. :cool: I'm wicked jealous of your morels - very rare in my parts.
Happy for a few chanterelles, black trumpets, lobster mushrooms, sulfur shelf/chicken of the woods and some prized phallic shaped ones (whose name I can't recall) that my wife can always spot :rolleyes: though they have always eluded me :(?

If I'm ever up your way Myke I'm heading to camp with you :thumbsup:

Ray
I'd love to share a camp fire with you and all the members here Ray.:thumbsup:

Looks like a great trip Myke. The darker morels like you found are usually the first ones I find. The last bunch I picked were white which is usually a sign that the season is winding down. Love the campfire pics. We keep a fire going constantly when camping unless we're away from camp. Like you I take advantage of dead wood never needing more than a good hand saw to keep up. Thanks for sharing.

Been a rough couple weeks. By Monday, I will have gone to 3 funerals in the past week. My wife's aunt passed away, then a good friend's mom passed, and then my brother-in-law's grandfather passed. My funeral suit is getting a workout, sheez.

Been a rough couple weeks. By Monday, I will have gone to 3 funerals in the past week. My wife's aunt passed away, then a good friend's mom passed, and then my brother-in-law's grandfather passed. My funeral suit is getting a workout, sheez.
Well, at least you didn't go to your own Glenn.
Sorry for the losses Glenn.
Be glad you didn't go to your own though.

I've always said it's better to be seen than viewed...

Back