The "Whatever" Thread

I was up in the wee hours of the morning and decided since I couldn't sleep I'd go for a drive....
to the mountains.
I wanted to walk an old gated logging road my brother and I had hiked a few times many moons ago.
It goes back and up and makes a big loop that ends maybe a 1/4 mile from the starting point.2-3 miles total.
Kicked my butt it did, but it sure was nice and peaceful.
On the way up...
VGNzq8T.jpg

Wild roses were in abundance.
f7Dvqvz.jpg

lbvXz1C.jpg

Other sundry flowers as well.
XLRGR1P.jpg

bmXob0p.jpg

viaYTYZ.jpg

Found a few Elk vertebrae.Probably left from a successful hunt.
vOP92wb.jpg

And one of the biggest piles of bear poo I've seen to date.
It was fairly fresh too. Had me wondering where it might be.:eek:
8ostxSJ.jpg

Sunrise on the way up.
8Bh7QKp.jpg

Great views on the back side.
cAf2aQn.jpg

9AiX2uz.jpg

Looking west.The bald nob is called Red Top and there is a lookout tower you can barely see at the top.
It sits at around 5,361 feet and can be driven to, but for the last hundred yards that have to be walked.
The tan scar on the right is where rock hounds go to look for garnets, geodes and such.
S42Q0qd.jpg

Looking south we see the top of Mt. Rainer.
6pBMlLB.jpg

Cruising down the trail on the back side I heard a drumming sound.
Sounded familiar..a grouse perhaps? It had been many years since I'd heard a grouse drumming.
I walk towards the sound and a brood of youngsters jumped up and flew down hill.
Then mom (I assume it was Mom) pops up and tries to lead me away from the fleeing yutes.
Crappy pic, but better than none.
imd6rx2.jpg

Chipper said hello as he greeted a new day.
w0j50S6.jpg

Game trail back to the truck.
wCkCzZh.jpg

Looks like a male to me.;)
Xnf5BxH.jpg

hFAYOVE.jpg

After that I came home, took a shower and passed out in the recliner!

Last edited:
Nice part of the world Myke. Glad you are out in it. Lovely photos - greatly appreciated - even the bear scat one :D

Ray

Sweet photos Myke! It’s been more than 20 years since my last Rainier trip, I think I’m overdue!

Jeff

I havent been up rainier in a decade. Last time i was in the area i took my wife who was 6 months pregnant fishing on a pantoon boat at mineral lake.

Wonderful photos, Mykel. Just beautiful, some of your best stuff yet!
High praise indeed, thanks Glenn.
Nice part of the world Myke. Glad you are out in it. Lovely photos - greatly appreciated - even the bear scat one :D

Ray
Ray man,I included the scat pic just for you.:p
Just kidding, glad you enjoyed the crappy pics.;)

Sweet photos Myke! It’s been more than 20 years since my last Rainier trip, I think I’m overdue!

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. Strangely enough I've never been to MRNP proper. Got close once.(see below reply to simplejack)

I havent been up rainier in a decade. Last time i was in the area i took my wife who was 6 months pregnant fishing on a pantoon boat at mineral lake.
I hope you caught dinner......
The last time I was in the area was around 73 and we camped at Alder Lake which is just a little further west of Mineral Lake. I remember Mt. Rainer looked huge from so close.:thumbsup:

Taking a break from packing and sorting.
Lots of stuff going to the Goodwill.:thumbsup:
It's amazing how much junk one accumulates in 11 years.:eek:

GREAT pics Myke! you do very well with your phone. mine all come out looking like that pile of Bear stuff you found lol. Hope all is well with everyone. It's busy season for me so not much intrawebbing these days.

Good luck Mykel, packing/unpacking is such a pain in the a$$.
We're sitting at Drive-In as I type this waiting for Jurassic World to start. Hope everyone has a great evening.
Wow a drive in, they've all closed around here.
the dino did it
;)

Speaking of pains in the ass...
I woke up Friday morning with incredible pain in my left hip.
Not sure if it's muscular, nerve or bone related, but am going to the emergency room at the VA this morn to get it checked out. I need to get packed up and this hip is slowing me down big time.
It sure isn't fun getting old....:rolleyes:

GREAT pics Myke! you do very well with your phone. mine all come out looking like that pile of Bear stuff you found lol. Hope all is well with everyone. It's busy season for me so not much intrawebbing these days.
Thanks grunt. No phone pics, I don't have a smart phone.(yet) I use a little point and shoot.
Keep the streets safe.

Last edited:
Back from er, got a shot in the butt that hasn't done a thing for the pain.:(
X-rays neg. Probably just inflammation caused by the hiking. Glad it isn't anything worse.:)
Ibuprofen Rxed for the inflammation.
Gonna take the rest of the day off and rest the old body.
Balls to the walls tomorrow.:thumbsup::rolleyes:

Need some knife pics, off today and my curiosity is getting the best of me. I saw the Hurley Creek and know it is a good all around little pocket type utility knife, just to have on you, anyone else have any that they just like to peel apples with or just use for small jobs while hanging around the house, kitchen or campsite? Like stretched Potowatmi, stretched Blue Gills, etc? Those you find indispensable that you reach for and they are there? Any action pics would be great. I got a small little JK metal knife when I purchased another Jk mini knife, but cannot find it, it would fit this idea perfectly, will try pics later of that mini and bird and trout.

I love my Atta Boy -
DSC_7948.JPG

And if you are wanting to peel apples etc, you want a blade with a short height (edge to spine), which would make the JK Paring knife the go to blade. (top blade in this picture)
DSC_1328.JPG

Becky and Hanna both were asked to give speeches on childhood cancer last weekend

Awesome, John. They grow up so fast....

best

mqqn

Back from er, got a shot in the butt that hasn't done a thing for the pain.:(
X-rays neg. Probably just inflammation caused by the hiking. Glad it isn't anything worse.:)
Ibuprofen Rxed for the inflammation.
Gonna take the rest of the day off and rest the old body.
Balls to the walls tomorrow.:thumbsup::rolleyes:

Acupuncture? Worth I try - or load up on CBDs. Got my 2nd crop in for "medicinal purposes" :rolleyes: REALLY - could change your life.

Take care.

Ray

Acupuncture? Worth I try - or load up on CBDs. Got my 2nd crop in for "medicinal purposes" :rolleyes: REALLY - could change your life.

Take care.

Ray
There's a lot of people on the GBS/CIDP facebook group I belong to that swear by CBDs for their nerve pain.
Since Gabapentin doesn't kill all the pain in my feet, (it does reduce it though) CBDs are next on my try list.
Not a believer in acupuncture.

Take it easy, Mykel! Can't have you backsliding, ya know.

RayseM RayseM have to ask, which state do you reside in? The use of CBD's is such a new method for pain reduction with not much information on it's dosage.

RayseM RayseM have to ask, which state do you reside in? The use of CBD's is such a new method for pain reduction with not much information on it's dosage.

I'm in Maine and still on the learning curve. I have always hated smoking pot and still do - nasty and the effects are unpleasant. I am a natural high kind of guy. ;) These days though my body is fighting back after years of use - not abuse - just a life time of physical work and athleticism. I am still a near daily wood walker and don't weigh more than 8 or 10 lbs of my high school weight (1971 :confused:). Anyway I can grow my own plants legally and have friends as consultants. We are working on growing high CBD strains and learning how to emulsify and dose for most effectiveness. I have tried a few creams - mostly hemp based - and wasn't impressed. This winter will be revealing. Still hopeful.

There is lots of info on the web, of course, caveat emptor. Still, I believe I have found a few, very reliable, knowledgable sources and have come to realize that the ongoing research is intensive and results are solidly based on results not wishful thinking or anecdote.

Ray

I was wondering if you have found the optimal dosage and potency for those body aches that come from everyday living, getting old kind of sucks when it comes to those just trying to figure out what works. Best Martin

Back