The "Whatever" Thread

Now I gotta figure out what type of sheath I want to make for it. I have some ideas but not 100% sure on what I'm gonna do yet.

well you inspired me I almost have a full leather shop in my garage now

Nice have you started making anything yet or still getting tools together? (Edit didn't see your above post)

I'm also finally gonna do a WIP thread for making a sheath for one of Johns knives.This one will be perfect since I can show drawing the pattern to finishing the whole thing.

That looks awesome man!
thanks ive spent many hours in the garage failing and teaching myself. I dont want to say how much ive dropped on leather tools. but I really like it its fun and it takes hours to make something. Im trying to figure out carving and basket weave stamping right now.(doesnt look to hot)

Nice have you started making anything yet or still getting tools together? (Edit didn't see your above post)

I'm also finally gonna do a WIP thread for making a sheath for one of Johns knives.This one will be perfect since I can show drawing the pattern to finishing the whole thing.
post the link so I can follow it

thanks ive spent many hours in the garage failing and teaching myself. I dont want to say how much ive dropped on leather tools. but I really like it its fun and it takes hours to make something. Im trying to figure out carving and basket weave stamping right now.(doesnt look to hot)

post the link so I can follow it

Completely understand that, My first projects I pretty much just made constant mistakes and firgot all kinds of steps. And I feel ya on the tools I just had to buy a slotted belt punch and I about had a heart attack after checking out.

For the carving and stamping I don't really have to much experience there but if you have a local Tandy store up there they will do carving classes usually for 20 bucks on the weekends. I took a basic one just to see if I wanted to start investing in the tools and it was really helpful. Also there are some really great threads by Horsewright in the sheaths and such subforum that really helped me learn. As for a good stamping and tooling reference check out Don Gonzales on YouTube. He has a lot of tutorials from the basics all the way to a 4 or 5 step video series on how to floral carve. And if there's anything I can help you with just shoot me a pm and I'd be more than happy to try and help.

And the WIP thread will be posted here on John's subforum!

Completely understand that, My first projects I pretty much just made constant mistakes and firgot all kinds of steps. And I feel ya on the tools I just had to buy a slotted belt punch and I about had a heart attack after checking out.

For the carving and stamping I don't really have to much experience there but if you have a local Tandy store up there they will do carving classes usually for 20 bucks on the weekends. I took a basic one just to see if I wanted to start investing in the tools and it was really helpful. Also there are some really great threads by Horsewright in the sheaths and such subforum that really helped me learn. As for a good stamping and tooling reference check out Don Gonzales on YouTube. He has a lot of tutorials from the basics all the way to a 4 or 5 step video series on how to floral carve. And if there's anything I can help you with just shoot me a pm and I'd be more than happy to try and help.

And the WIP thread will be posted here on John's subforum!
ill check them out thanks

Thanks Jeff -

Accepted offer - looks like we'll be owning a house in TN.

best

mqqn

That's one of the best states in the country, especially if you like the outdoors, the woods, hunting and fishing! That should give all your knives and you a good work out! Good luck!

Thank you, gentlemen!

We have been going down for the BBQ for years, and we stay at a hotel in Manchester. We like to eat breakfast at the Tullahoma Downtown Cafe. We will be about 20 minutes from there in the new house.

best

mqqn

I have spent a lot of time around Tullahoma chasing trains at the old L & N depot and office there! That's a real nice area of the state! I own several property's on the other side of the state around Bumpus Mills! They are down around The Land Between the Lakes! I love that state too!

I love trains and used to chase them for photos. I didn't know about the L&N or really any railfanning in that area, but I'll have time to figure it out I suppose.

best

mqqn

I love trains and used to chase them for photos. I didn't know about the L&N or really any railfanning in that area, but I'll have time to figure it out I suppose.

best

mqqn

Hey Bud! The state of TN & KY has railroad history up the Wazoo! They have a nice caboose there at Tullahoma! That's a place that has had a real long railroad history! You can do a bunch of rail chasing in just TN, and there are still a few railroads running tourist trains! I still haven't completed that state!

I ignored the grass on Saturday - and we got 5" of snow yesterday.

It's all gone now and supposed to be in the 70's the rest of the week - Heading to TN on Friday.

best

mqqn

Back