The "Whatever" Thread

It’s a balmy 18 degrees in the shop this morning. It’s going to be below zero early next week, so I won’t be working. Good thing I’m about a week ahead of schedule!

Felt the same over here in Michigan. It's like October's weather finally came back. Had to get the carhart back out after putting it away for November and December.

freezing rain started around 2.
supposed to warm up above freezing and keep raining until it goes back to freezing around 9 PM.
not planning on going anywhere today.

we were supposed to get snow first -- but just like last weekend, that didn't happen here - just the ice.
buddy 20 miles SSE of me got 1/2 the ice and 8" of snow last weekend -- not sure what he got hit with this morning.

I have enough kitchen to start cooking after not having one for almost three months during the house remodel. This week I bought a vitamix blender and am going to start eating a lot more produce. I needed a knife, and I knew where in our pile of belongings I had stashed my big bag of JKs - so I brought it in and pulled out the Kitchen knife to do my processing. I think John should offer this knife up for sale again - they are very useful and I think they look good too.

20200117_181511.jpg

Following is a link to all my Kitchen Series pictures -
http://iammoon.com/albums/knives/JK%20Knife/Kitchen%20Series/index.html

I hope all of you up north are keeping safe and warm.

best

mqqn

I have enough kitchen to start cooking after not having one for almost three months during the house remodel. This week I bought a vitamix blender and am going to start eating a lot more produce. I needed a knife, and I knew where in our pile of belongings I had stashed my big bag of JKs - so I brought it in and pulled out the Kitchen knife to do my processing. I think John should offer this knife up for sale again - they are very useful and I think they look good too.

20200117_181511.jpg

best

mqqn
When you get time send me the dimensions of that one, overall, blade, and height of the blade. I also want to do a paring knife.

I have been thinking about bringing it back in stainless.

That would be a killer - I think most ladies don't enjoy the patina of the carbon steels like us knife fans do.
Might be a good seller - and certainly a great daily user.

When I was deciding what to use, rummaging through the bag looking for the Chef's knife, I found the Kitchen and that was that. The Chef's knife would be a good one for a stainless version too. And remember, the Kitchen was a thinner stock, which makes it a great slicer.

best

mqqn

20200117_181511.jpg

best

mqqn

I like that knife! John Id be interested in one if you bring it back.

Last edited:
I think you are right - remember you couldn't stamp your K on it because it was too thin of a stock.

Give me a couple days to find my caliper, but I can give the overall dimensions later today - and for the paring knife - or I can send them to you for you to model from if you prefer, I will pay postage both ways.

best

mqqn

I would prefer if you could just send me a rough tracing. On stainless I can stamp the K.
I think you are right - remember you couldn't stamp your K on it because it was too thin of a stock.

Give me a couple days to find my caliper, but I can give the overall dimensions later today - and for the paring knife - or I can send them to you for you to model from if you prefer, I will pay postage both ways.

best

mqqn

When you get time send me the dimensions of that one, overall, blade, and height of the blade. I also want to do a paring knife.

One of the guys that saw my Sick Nasty release on facebook made a comment that they want something very much like a paring knife for fishing. mqqn mqqn 's knife there looks about perfect for such a task, if a B&T isn't desired. I assume the handle is a little more hand-filling than the B&T, since being compact is usually a big part of bird & trout knives.

One of the guys that saw my Sick Nasty release on facebook made a comment that they want something very much like a paring knife for fishing. mqqn mqqn 's knife there looks about perfect for such a task, if a B&T isn't desired. I assume the handle is a little more hand-filling than the B&T, since being compact is usually a big part of bird & trout knives.
I saw that on Facebook. It will have a larger handle

I saw that on Facebook. It will have a larger handle

That's a guy that I used to race bicycles with a lot, we were the big guys of the peleton and race field. He "retired" after starting a family. I think now he does a lot of target shooting and does pretty well, but not sure if he's competitive with it or just shoots that standard set, or whatever they call it for competitive shooting.

I think we were probably the rednecks of the bicycle racing community as well; he had a beat-up old conversion van for carrying things to races and I had a rusty chevy tracker with a hamster for an engine. Our bikes were worth way more than the vehicles carrying them, though we never paid anything close to full-price for the bikes either. Fun times. It's been a while since someone gave me free stuff to thrash on it. I was notorious for breaking random things because of my size and build more like a football lineman than a svelt bike racer (I was a D-lineman in college). We liked to joke about how fast I could tear up Walmart quality bikes. Fine for a little riding, not good when you're doing thousands of miles a year and putting down some decent power.

Back