The "Whatever" Thread

Thats awesome

Yes, but the glowing thing kind of scares me!! :D What about a videography of a knife being made from start to finish, steps taken to get it from a piece of steel to a finished knife? Not too intense but a good tutorial, and answer basic questions. Or since it is now Halloween, bring on the pumpkins carving and decorations. Got another idea, a JK knife calendar!! Show the knives in nature or other cool pics...like with old cars, along a fence post or beside a mountain stream and cabin, fishing poles, etc etc...you get the idea! At this point, you can tell I have had too much caffeine today.:D Ok ok ok, another idea....well...ideas....we get maybe a leather maker to design some nice sheaths? Maybe a combo sheath, different horizontal carry or in the waist band, or how about a small front pocket wallet with matching detail work? Pouches, etc.

Last edited:
I believe we have many talented people in this forum that can organize it and give John a break, do not want to think it has to be all done by him. We just have to step forward to try and get it off the ground to come up with ideas. This is one of the first, if not the first place I come when I log onto the forums....I want to be able to come here and talk with all of you and share a bit of friendship....and knives....and of course talk to John. Ok, I am starting to sound like the old Beach Blanket Bingo movies with Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon, "Come on gang, we've got to save.....!" The effort was worth it then and is now. John, please do not ban me from here. :eek:

I can't believe it has been 7 years since I carved this - it is a portrait of JK that I did on a pumpkin in 2013 - anyone else carve pumpkins?
DSC_5329.JPG

DSC_5322.JPG

best

mqqn

Forgot about that one, nice!

Jeff

Yes, but the glowing thing kind of scares me!! :D What about a videography of a knife being made from start to finish, steps taken to get it from a piece of steel to a finished knife? Not too intense but a good tutorial, and answer basic questions. Or since it is now Halloween, bring on the pumpkins carving and decorations. Got another idea, a JK knife calendar!! Show the knives in nature or other cool pics...like with old cars, along a fence post or beside a mountain stream and cabin, fishing poles, etc etc...you get the idea! At this point, you can tell I have had too much caffeine today.:D Ok ok ok, another idea....well...ideas....we get maybe a leather maker to design some nice sheaths? Maybe a combo sheath, different horizontal carry or in the waist band, or how about a small front pocket wallet with matching detail work? Pouches, etc.
I got 9 fixed blade sheaths pre cut ive been meaning to finish i can't post pics any more on here but I can send a pic of the style to someone if they want to post it.

I was roughhousing with the kid and he won... he laughed it off and I ended up with a bloody forehead. I thought for sure he would have a bloody lip from the collision, but that was me apparently bleeding.

Good times.

Anyone know of a good place to get a calendar made? I know families have done it, or have had pics of family on mugs, so I am sure it can be done. Jut trying to come up with possibilities. I am in brainstorming mode lately. Thanks and appreciated. Everyone have a great day and even better weekend.

I was roughhousing with the kid and he won... he laughed it off and I ended up with a bloody forehead. I thought for sure he would have a bloody lip from the collision, but that was me apparently bleeding.

Good times.

Great times....and you are young enough so you can still enjoy rough housing and not be in traction for a week. Those special times pass too fast and they grow up quickly. Now that my daughter is in her 20s and on her own, we can still enjoy special times together in different ways. We just need to realize it now and make those memories, and to call and just tell them you love them. Also call up family or old friends and let them know you are thinking of them. I wish now how I could call my parents and Grandmothers, they have gone to be with the Lord years ago. As I get older, I am in my EARLY 50s, I am appreciating the simple things more. Does that officially make me an ole codger? Maybe I should look for that rocking chair with a checker board.....wait.....I have already....at Cracker Barrell!! :p Love the food too.

Many years ago someone had a calendar made with the knives from the Camp Knife Challenge, I don’t remember who. Mine finished in the top five, I had only been making knives a short time, so I was thrilled!

Not for a calendar, but I have used Shutterfly in the past for photo prints and hardbound photo books. I was always happy with their work. Also have used Sam’s Club for photo prints.

Anyone know of a good place to get a calendar made? I know families have done it, or have had pics of family on mugs, so I am sure it can be done. Jut trying to come up with possibilities. I am in brainstorming mode lately. Thanks and appreciated. Everyone have a great day and even better weekend.

I've used CVS photo center for such things. My mother-in-law uses shutterfly.

This year's Daddy's Day gift from my wife and son. It's my favorite mug.
9mPZOirl.jpg

F1ktWetl.jpg

It was something jds1 started about 10 years ago. He rented a cabin and we would make the drive to Michigan for a weekend, lots of food, drinking, and great conversation around the campfire. We had one person travel from Vermont for the weekend, as well as several from Kentucky, but most were from Illinois. Some of my best times were on these trips.

it would be an honor to attend one of these, so I hope they're not gone forever!

maybe we can bring them back if they go away for a couple years? I'm stuck in place for a while, but in a year or two I'd be willing to make the trip on the way back from Fiddleback's Trackrock, which I also hope to attend sometime in the future.

they get together sounds really good and fun and cool-wholesome

I only attended one of the Michigan Fall Gatherings (I think it may have been the last one), and I'll tell you that it was an honor to meet and chew the fat with such a fine group of men. Thanks again JDS1 for being a such wonderful host and sponsor. Man o man did we burn some wood!

We went on our lost glamping trip last weekend, had beautiful weather. I tried to get the fire going but it got wet in the rain the day before so did not get real big and had to keep throwing some pine cones and other kindling to keep it hot. We made a pot of soup over it, mostly, and had to finish it on the two burner stove. Luckily the meat was done on the grill before I added it to the pot. I could have used my Hudson Bay to help split it had I had it, but used my dull hatchet. Goes to show how important it is to have the right gear WITH you and to keep it sharp.

Back