The "Whatever" Thread

Glad you got bandaged up quickly, JK! Kind of need that red stuff to stay inside. ;)

Just a quick thought, just hit me, that with all the things we carry, does it just seem nice to unload all the heavy stuff from your pockets and just have one or two things, to make it a light carry? essential tools are one thing, but there is something about just having one or two that almost make you forget you are carrying them. Less is more idea. It kind of goes back to Case Peanut idea in the pocket. It will do the small jobs. That can also be a small Jk too!! :D

I love small edc stuff, I don't hide this. My problem over the years is that my list of "essential small stuff" keeps growing. :rolleyes: I would brag that with a P51 can opener and Craftsman 4-way screwdriver in my wallet and my Peanut and AAA flashlight in my pocket, I wouldn't need anything else weighing me down. o_O Now, there's a multitool keychain and an ink pen and a Zippo and and and...

One day I'll buy clothes with no pockets and solve all of this. :p

Just a quick thought, just hit me, that with all the things we carry, does it just seem nice to unload all the heavy stuff from your pockets and just have one or two things, to make it a light carry? essential tools are one thing, but there is something about just having one or two that almost make you forget you are carrying them. Less is more idea. It kind of goes back to Case Peanut idea in the pocket. It will do the small jobs. That can also be a small Jk too!! :D

There is something wonderful about just carrying one or two small tools, I couldn't agree more

Since I got them I've been carrying JK's friction folders exclusively.

This week decided to switch it up, with a fancy German tourist's knife (one never knows when an awl might be necessary to pop open a barrel of bourbon or to clean a pipe) and a Fontanille Pataud hawkbill/mushroom folding knife

once I've had a bit more time to explore my cutlery usage and options, I'll probably end up with a small tourist knife/SAK and a small fixed blade I can slip in my pocket, like a trout zipper or for something a bit larger one of JK's Nessmuks

less is absolutely more with the pockets, and many, many other things too :)

Won't work.
Then you'd need a purse.

a Murse is nothing to be ashamed of, at least not in Hollywood :cool:

Won't work.
Then you'd need a purse.

Not purse but a Murse....male purse. Or get one of the makers here to make you a leather possibles bag, with a sheath sown into the back for a fixed blade. If it is not rustic looking, you can call it a European shoulder bag.:p

John, have you ever made a Chef knife? I know some of your models have done kitchen duty. I think the Mudd Turtle has.

Mud turtle has done a lot of kitchen duty, or mine has at least :). Gotta make sure I know how to use it when I'm at a campsite... or just to keep the patina layers forming.

IMO, the Hudson Bay in 1/8" works quite well in the kitchen if you put a thinner final edge on it (John may be able to do that straight away for you). It's certainly not a pairing knife but it can tear through soft veggies and meat easily with the full height grind on it.

I think the personal camp makes a nice kitchen knife as well, especially if someone was to request a full height grind. It's pretty close to a miniature butcher knife.
BH65Rvcl.jpg

Mud turtle before the layers of patina were formed. Bought this one used with the forced pattern on it. Just had it out over the weekend making some fried potatoes with onions and peppers, a favorite of mine for breakfast or dinner.
eDKdTvZl.jpg

Hudson Bay compared to a Wharncliffe-ish kitchen knife (sure there's a fancy name for the shape but I don't know it). The belly on the HB makes it really well suited to rocking and using the heel to slice veggies quickly like you would a traditional chef's knife and the height makes it really easy to use you knuckles to guide it along or move stuff around the cutting board. I would probably do a straighter handle if I wanted it solely as a kitchen knife as the flaring towards the butt of the handle is unnecessary but really helps out in the yard when chopping. It would probably butcher really well though too. Big fan of the 1/8" HB John made me.
KOmYGxrl.jpg

Mud turtle has done a lot of kitchen duty, or mine has at least :). Gotta make sure I know how to use it when I'm at a campsite... or just to keep the patina layers forming.

IMO, the Hudson Bay in 1/8" works quite well in the kitchen if you put a thinner final edge on it (John may be able to do that straight away for you). It's certainly not a pairing knife but it can tear through soft veggies and meat easily with the full height grind on it.

I think the personal camp makes a nice kitchen knife as well, especially if someone was to request a full height grind. It's pretty close to a miniature butcher knife.
BH65Rvcl.jpg

Mud turtle before the layers of patina were formed. Bought this one used with the forced pattern on it. Just had it out over the weekend making some fried potatoes with onions and peppers, a favorite of mine for breakfast or dinner.
eDKdTvZl.jpg

Hudson Bay compared to a Wharncliffe-ish kitchen knife (sure there's a fancy name for the shape but I don't know it). The belly on the HB makes it really well suited to rocking and using the heel to slice veggies quickly like you would a traditional chef's knife and the height makes it really easy to use you knuckles to guide it along or move stuff around the cutting board. I would probably do a straighter handle if I wanted it solely as a kitchen knife as the flaring towards the butt of the handle is unnecessary but really helps out in the yard when chopping. It would probably butcher really well though too. Big fan of the 1/8" HB John made me.
KOmYGxrl.jpg

holy cow!!!

how long is the blade on your Hudson Bay?

John, have you ever made a Chef knife? I know some of your models have done kitchen duty. I think the Mudd Turtle has.

thank you for asking this question, because this is precisely what I'm looking for in my first JK fixed blade knife :)

I want to have some classic 19th century looking knife that will bring me the joy of enjoying a patina maturing with use, something I can show off using as a general food prep knife at home as well as scare the waitress next time I go to the local steak house with my dad :thumbsup:

I've been thinking about asking for more info on the Hudson Bay knife, as one in 3/32 looks very well suited to my needs

it'll be hard to choose between that and a 'muk, not to mention anything else JK might come up with for the kitchen

holy cow!!!

how long is the blade on your Hudson Bay?

thank you for asking this question, because this is precisely what I'm looking for in my first JK fixed blade knife :)

I want to have some classic 19th century looking knife that will bring me the joy of enjoying a patina maturing with use, something I can show off using as a general food prep knife at home as well as scare the waitress next time I go to the local steak house with my dad :thumbsup:

I've been thinking about asking for more info on the Hudson Bay knife, as one in 3/32 looks very well suited to my needs

it'll be hard to choose between that and a 'muk, not to mention anything else JK might come up with for the kitchen

Pretty sure it's 8", as big as John could fit into the HT oven with the given handle size. Here's where you can look for more info about ordering one ;). Glad I could help be your enabler.
https://bladeforums.com/threads/hudson-bay.1748057/

One thing about 3/32" thickness, it will cost more because 1/8" is much more common so it gets a discount. In a big, broad blade like the Hudson Bay, the difference may be noticeable. Mine in 1/8" is the thinnest he's ever done, to my knowledge, as 3/16" is the standard and more in tune to the traditional design of Hudson Bays as they were meant to be wood processors too.

I think there's something called "the tool" that might interest some of the people interested in a kitchen cutter. More of a slicer design but pretty neat. It's come up a few times when the French Trade knife design discussion comes up again.
https://bladeforums.com/threads/knife-design-interests.1682954/page-2
JZbOir6.jpg

In the process of finding the tool, I came across the K XD/XM Medium Modern Bowie. Great looking knife. This was shared by MQQN here: https://bladeforums.com/threads/older-jks.1556474/page-3#post-17892358. I never ordered one as I tend not to be a tactical knife guy but 2020 has changed my flavor a bit considering how many riots there have been and how close I live to Detroit. Those copper tubes are killer looking.
DSC_8510.JPG

what is the name of the knife in the bottom-left-most-corner?

H8YWbuV.jpg

I think there's something called "the tool" that might interest some of the people interested in a kitchen cutter. More of a slicer design but pretty neat. It's come up a few times when the French Trade knife design discussion comes up again.
https://bladeforums.com/threads/knife-design-interests.1682954/page-2
JZbOir6.jpg

YES!!! that is literally almost perfect for what I actually need in a knife for once :D

only thing, JK Knives JK Knives , what would you say to the idea of making one with the blade exactly the same (hopefully in 3/32" O1), but with the handle upswept a bit?

I will try to find an example of picture. the tool as is is however just about perfect

so, it's down between this and a 'muk :thumbsup:

another friction folder will have to wait... for now :)

Last edited:
The Tool with a French ball end was in my possible wish list, in 1/8. I have a 6 inch blade French trade knife in 3/16 made by Martin Tactical years ago. It originally came in 1/8, but being in my Mountain man macho stage, I opted for the thicker blade. I wish I had gone to 1/8, 3/32 was not offered. On another note, I did get my 2nd ML Hudson Bay blade in 1/8 thick and 1 3/4 wide, made it more like a thinner butcher knife. Then I got a smaller 5 inch HB in 1/8 from. ML knvies that is close to size of the personal camp by JK.

Last edited:
what is the name of the knife in the bottom-left-most-corner?

H8YWbuV.jpg

YES!!! that is literally almost perfect for what I actually need in a knife for once :D

only thing, JK Knives JK Knives , what would you say to the idea of making one with the blade exactly the same (hopefully in 3/32" O1), but with the handle upswept a bit?

I will try to find an example of picture. the tool as is is however just about perfect

so, it's down between this and a 'muk :thumbsup:

another friction folder will have to wait... for now :)
Bottom left knife looks like a woodkarver maybe?

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/jk-handmade-knives-woodkarver-review.1291004/

IMG_0356.JPG

The smaller HB is the second from right with a black walnut handle. I also liked the idea of a 6 inch thin trade knife in 1/8, so that is the one second from the left with the cross lines on the handle, again in black walnut.

Edited: the handles were black walnut not black oak.

Last edited:
cbach8tw cbach8tw I decided many years ago that I couldn't stand a bunch of stuff in my pockets. Normal pants pocket EDC for me is a minimalist wallet, cash, phone, flashlight, and folder. There's a titanium Microtech Assailant in my wallet. Light and folder will have a pocket clip so they ride high and often the folder will be replaced by a small fixed blade. I abhor a bulky key-ring in my pocket and only carry that style at work. If I'm not at work and have to be somewhere away from home where my truck is locked I carry a spare truck key in my wallet. I often shake my head when I see pics posted in a pocket dump thread where guys post a pic of a well orchestrated bulky group of items that are considered EDC and most look like they are new. If I don't have a real need for it I don't carry it.

tonight's one of those nights where I'm feeling quite grateful about my mom

she made an awesome dinner for the holiday today: latkes (fried potato pancakes) with sour cream, with sprigs of dill, whole chives, and whole scallions for flavor, steamed carrots for the vegetable and matzo brei (matzo/unleavened break soaked in water, drained of water and scrambled with eggs).

so delicious! so filling! comfort food to the Nth degree :thumbsup:

she even asked me to take the lead saying the prayers for lighting the candles. very sweet of her :)

I'm trying to encourage her to pick up gardening as a hobby, which she loves anyways, it's just a question of helping her learn how to not kill plants

she was really interested in my French hawkbill mushroom knife, so I got her an Opinel pruning knife for the first night of Chanukah, which is more suitable to her needs and she was excited about receiving.

tomorrow night she'll get a pair of fancy adjustable Opinel pruning sheers, and then later in the weekend there will be an Opinel fruit knife for her to enjoy :)

the holidaze can be fun

Finished 20 money clipper wallets, I have a run of 8x fixed blade sheaths plus small amd large pocket knife slips im gonna throw up for sale. Mainly just bored. I got a pattern for the mandalorian helmet I might go to tandy and pick up some communist leather (not american) so im not wasting my good shit. I need a small bowling ball I believe its called a duck ill ball. So I can mold the helmet shape. And john be careful with those christmas cookies they lead to Christmas bourbon.

For that style of work, that would be a good choice I think. I imagine the compact tool would be solid as well for a slightly larger one.

If you're not familiar with the hurley creek, it's a very nice little blade, a little bigger than the bluegill. I think it's a great EDC or bird and trout knife size. It is smaller than the EO1 for sure though and the fuller handle of the EO1 is good and there's good reason that has been one of John's better selling knives.

I honestly don't know what's required of a knife in construction. For the home repair stuff I usually don't need much and find myself using a swiss army knife of multi-tool a lot.

There was a review thread of the mud turtle where I posted a lot of pictures. That was before I bought my own. It's also a pretty fun knife in the kitchen, camp kitchen, or just messing around with around a bonfire. At this point, I don't know that I have a favorite JK model, because I'm fickle with tastes sometimes, but the mud turtle is probably in the top 5 for "if I could only keep 1" knives if finances required that I get rid of my collection.

Lastly, not knowing what construction requires again, but I really like John's heat treat on S30V if you want some pretty solid edge retention and stain resistance. It's a bear to sharpen, especially compared to O1, but in a small blade I love it. I have an EO1 and 2 deluxe hurley creek's in it. I'm not sure if that's a regular offer but when he orders a bar I usually try to get at least one knife out of it.
I have thought a lot about this very thorough reply. I also don't know what qualities a knife needs for construction type work. My trade is not construction. My wife and I buy a few houses, work on them and sell them as time allows. I guess I am a little more than a weekend warrior when it comes to home projects, but not a professional by any stretch.

So, I plan to watch how I use a knife more closely when my knife comes next year from John. This might be a good chance for for a review. I don't really pay attention right now, I just use the knife and forget about it. Maybe stopping when it gets used would be a good approach to a review....

third night of Chanukah, mom got a new Opinel veggie knife :)

and tonight I walked like four miles and picked here up a crate of almost ripe persimmons (not the kind you eat like an apple, more the kind that's common in the Southern US and has that HORRIBLE tannin thing going on until it's ripe enough to pass for thick orange snot)

I carried the crate home on top of my head like a good little boy

it's not as hard as it looks, but I did use a finger to keep 'er steady ;)

I'm pretty sure I got a bunch of fancy underwear for my gift tonight. which is weird as a 30-something-year-old for your mother to give you, but who's complaining. she saved me at least a $100 on them or something, so how could I complain

and even men can appreciate fancy, comfortable undergarments :thumbsup:

truthfully, after opening Rob's gift today it's really hard to think of anything else...

Back